Is there any other liquid I can add to make this home-made AC more efficient?

Associate
If you have seen my other post on here the last week, you see that I have been talking about aircon and bought a portable air-conditioning unit (which is great!).

However, when not in use, I am trying to find more economical ways to cool without breaking the bank in electricity...plus, even with AC on and when gaming in my very small room with an overclocked 5950X + RTX 3090, it can get very toasty, lol.

Anyway, I have filled 2 empty 900ml Lucazade bottles with boiled water then frozen them at -15°c and put them in front of the fan, on top of a mini box (positioning could be better) with a paper towel underneath per-use to soak up the condensation. See picture below.

RpNQEbE.jpg
I have measured the airflow temperature (approx 80cm away) with an indoor hygrometer and the temperature of the airflow is actually lower than room temperature by 1.5 - 2.7°c. So not much, but since it's just the case of putting them in the freezer and taking them back out, I'll take it. They last around 2-3 hours depending how hot it is before they turn fully into liquid.

I have seen videos where they tie the bottles to the fan with zipties, but A LOT of condensation builds up on the bottles and drips so I think that would create safety electrical issues dripping down onto the fan, especially if I put them onto the back.

---

Anyway, any advice on how to make the ice last longer or is there a better liquid I could use? I heard salt water is supposed to be better, but not sure how true that actually is... (If so, how much salt to the water should I add?)

Any other tips or hints are welcome. I am thinking of filling some bottles with holes in the middle and then mounting them, so the airflow around the ice would be better. Image below (not mine):

GJ1cq4k.jpg

Soldato
Sort of, a substance with a higher density will take longer the thaw but it will also need more energy and colder temperatures to freeze it in the first place. For example salt water doesn’t start to freeze at 0c.

I hope you realise that putting bottles of water in the freezer uses a ton of energy and will putting out a ton of heat into your house and is adding to the problem rather than reliving it. It also causes temperature fluctuations that could lead to your food spoiling.

A freezer is fundamentally the same thing as an air conditioner in the way that it works so just use that. At least you are ejecting the heat from the house instead of creating more.

If you are concerned about power consumption then turn the temperature up to 22/23 so it’s just taking the edge off and make sure the door to the room is closed.

If you don’t want to run it then the next best ‘free’ alternative is putting a bowl of water in front of the fan and use the evaporative cooling effect.

Soldato
Don't play games when is this hot? :p When I was more into overclocking I had two profiles, one for summer and one for winter gaming so maybe downclock your CPU and GPU and play less demanding/ indie games for a week. Anyway the heatwave is over.

Soldato
Why put boiling water into it? what is wrong with cold water from the tap?

I wouldn't put holes in it as it'll just drip everywhere. Best option is to create a good airflow. Perhaps open the window in that room and another window in another room at the opposite end of the house, or downstairs windows.

Your going against the grain in attempting to cool it down while you're pc is heating it up substantially.

I'd invest in a bigger freestanding fan 14-16" with better flow and hopefully less noise.

Soldato
best way i have found is to have a window open and have the fan blowing out of the room, it creates a pressure difference and sucks cool air in through the window, or something like that.

Soldato
I don't understand why you would buy a portable air-con unit and not use it, it's like buying a performance car and then not driving it because the mpg isn't good.

Commissario
Ice made with soft water takes a lot longer to melt than with hard water.

I know this because when I go on holiday to a place with nice soft water, the ice cubes in my G&T take a lot longer to melt than the ones I make at home with our hard water.

Permabanned
Propylene Glycol. You find that in the form of anti-freeze at the local garage. Just don't let the kids drink it or you will end up in jail.

Associate
OP
Propylene Glycol
as above Propylene Glycol, similar viscosity to water, and its used to make ice rinks iirc
Propylene Glycol. You find that in the form of anti-freeze at the local garage. Just don't let the kids drink it or you will end up in jail.

Ok, so i'll give this a shot.

A few questions though:
1.) I have looked at Google and apparently the freezing temperature of Propylene Glycol is -59°C. So if I store it in the freezer at -20°C, when I take it out and put it infront of the fan, it technically won't be frozen. Sure, it will still be as cold as water would be, but does that matter?

2.) I have read online that you are supposed to mix it with water. Would you suggest using 100% Propylene Glycol or with a ratio of water? (if so, what ratio would you recommend?)

Soldato
I don't understand, you say you've got a portable AC and yet you don't want to use it?

Ours uses very little electric when running, i measured it the other day and it was only about 600 watts when cooling and 120 when running as a fan.

If you've got a RTX3090 worrying about a couple of pence extra for electric makes zero sense on any level.

Associate
OP
I don't understand, you say you've got a portable AC and yet you don't want to use it?

Ours uses very little electric when running, i measured it the other day and it was only about 600 watts when cooling and 120 when running as a fan.

If you've got a RTX3090 worrying about a couple of pence extra for electric makes zero sense on any level.
Lol, well it all adds up! You have to bear in mind that I have other appliances. Just because I have a nice rig doesn't mean I want to be HURR DURR spend away...

I am able to buy nice things because I also like to try and save money. What a dumb post lol.

Back
Top Bottom