Decent budget subwoofer for Edifier R1280Ts speakers?

itm

itm

Associate
Can anyone recommend a budget subwoofer that will work OK with a pair of Edifier R1280Ts speakers? Ideally something that can be found second-hand, as I don't want to blow a lot of cash on it and don't have a great ear for these things anyway. I'm just looking for something to flesh out the bottom end a bit.

itm

itm

Associate
OP
The sub in my old Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200 system sounds great to me, and that whole 5.1 speaker system cost < £100. So I'm easily pleased, basically. Just looking something that will be compatible with the budget Edifiers that I have.

Soldato
They're good speakers why get a POS sub just to get a botttom end, which'll make the system sound worse.

I've had subs in your price range (Cheapo Yamaha 45W) I threw it away. Get that SW-150.

Check your speakers does it have left & right out, or can you use bass management in your PC, so <80hz to sub directly, then >80hz to speakers directly.

itm

itm

Associate
OP
£150 for a sub to go with a pair of speakers that cost £90?
(that would make the speaker system worth about 50% of the cost of the entire PC system)

Soldato
The sub in my old Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200 system sounds great to me, and that whole 5.1 speaker system cost < £100. So I'm easily pleased, basically. Just looking something that will be compatible with the budget Edifiers that I have.

Wow, rare to see those mentioned! I got mine around 2001 and still use them at work :D

itm

itm

Associate
OP
Wow, rare to see those mentioned! I got mine around 2001 and still use them at work :D
Yeah I've had mine about that time. I seriously thought about finding another set on eBay (they go for around £70), but had heard so much about the Edifiers and they were only £90 so what the hell. Just need a cheap 'n' cheerful sub for my very uncultured ears now (anything like the sub in the DTT2200 system would be just fine).

Soldato
Most people use subwoofers wrong.

The sub should be used for gentle fill in of missing frequencies. It should be set to a level where sound appears to be coming from left / right speakers only, and only noticed when the sub is turned off.

The problem with adding a sub, especially if using regular phono plugs (not balanced), is you introduce more background noise into the line source and degrade the actual signal. Remember a phono lead is an aerial, and the more length (more cable) the more noise that's picked up.

I use to run a Subwoofer, but moved to 2.0 Prodipe studio speakers, and now don't require a sub.

Soldato
Most people use subwoofers wrong.

The sub should be used for gentle fill in of missing frequencies. It should be set to a level where sound appears to be coming from left / right speakers only, and only noticed when the sub is turned off.

The problem with adding a sub, especially if using regular phono plugs (not balanced), is you introduce more background noise into the line source and degrade the actual signal. Remember a phono lead is an aerial, and the more length (more cable) the more noise that's picked up.

I use to run a Subwoofer, but moved to 2.0 Prodipe studio speakers, and now don't require a sub.

A good sub will be able to do that, a low quality one won't be able to disappear. Quality cables shouldn't pick up noise.

For a AV system, and a satellite system a sub is a must.

Soldato
A good sub will be able to do that, a low quality one won't be able to disappear. Quality cables shouldn't pick up noise.

For a AV system, and a satellite system a sub is a must.

I use to run a sub and Yamaha satellites, I had that sub pretty much invisible. With the sub off the lower frequencies were gone, so that setup it was a definite must.

Now moved studio monitors, for the first week I missed the sub, but now I'm not missing it. My studio monitors go to 55hz but they seam a lot deeper.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use to run a sub and Yamaha satellites, I had that sub pretty much invisible. With the sub off the lower frequencies were gone, so that setup it was a definite must.

Now moved studio monitors, for the first week I missed the sub, but now I'm not missing it. My studio monitors go to 55hz but they seam a lot deeper.

Above is all on my computer setup.

These are what I run, of course on stands, isolation foam. There that accurate I was listing to an Areta Franklin track, and I could hear the background interference from the recording studio mixed into the actual track.

http://www.prodipe.co.uk/studio-monitors/2111-pro-5-v3.html

The following track has some really low frequencies in it, and I can feel these on my hands, how this is happening when there meant to only go 55hz, but I can.

https://www.beatport.com/track/alone/49315

Speaker roll off isn't a brick wall, it will be able to output lower, just at a lower dB level.

I use SW-150 on computer system, it has improved gaming- using bass management in the AVR before I had them run full range (standmounts)

Back
Top Bottom