Poor u9s performance

Associate
I've got a jonsplus bo 100 case with a noctua u9s. The temps are not great, with idles at 55-60 using a 5600x, and load at 75-80. The fan is also very loud compared to my graphics card fans (rtx 3060ti Asus dual mini oc) that runs slightly cooler.

Would it be worth upgrading to the u12a?

Associate
OP
nMp9CJk

Can you show a picture of your layout and fan configuration? That case is probably best suited to an AIO tbh.
xmtPMjk

Forgive my cable mgmt!
9pqM3cK

Associate
Ahh okay so what is happening right now is that your fan at the back (the Corsair one) is actually working against the Noctua fan. Both fans are pushing air into the heatsink and theres no way for the heat to escape.

Turn it around, so you want the sticker of the Corsair fan facing out of the case. Does that make sense? Check your temps after that - it's also worth noting that a 5800X is a hot chip and you won't see very low temps but definitely good enough with a U9S.

Associate
OP
Can you show a picture of your layout and fan configuration? That case is probably best suited to an AIO tbh.
Ahh okay so what is happening right now is that your fan at the back (the Corsair one) is actually working against the Noctua fan. Both fans are pushing air into the heatsink and theres no way for the heat to escape.

Turn it around, so you want the sticker of the Corsair fan facing out of the case. Does that make sense? Check your temps after that - it's also worth noting that a 5800X is a hot chip and you won't see very low temps but definitely good enough with a U9S.

Thank you!! Oops :)

Associate
OP
Omg. I bought the u12a this morning, arrived just now and I thought why not try it out and see the difference as the noise on the u9s was like a jet engine at times.

Take the u9s cooler off... and the 5600x rips out of the socket and is attached to the heatsink. I manage to pry it off by sliding it then gripping. Change all the fittings as the u12a seems more premium. Put the cooler on, boot it up, hoping it works.. and its silent as ever. Doesn't even sound like the fans are running and temps are reasonable. Phew.

Back
Top Bottom