WHsmith & Boots 1985, 1987,1988 and 1989 computer game promo videos, those were the days!

Associate
I remember standing infront of these for hours on end looking at the latest games to be coming out on various 8 and 16bit computers, good times. I thought this deserved its own thread as many of you may remember these.

"OCEAN the brand leader in computer games presents......"

(October 1988)

(April 1989)

(May 1989)

Last edited:
I worked in WH Smiths for my work experience in 1984ish and I was tasked with looking after computer games. I was even given my choice of games as payment when I left. I think I got Give my regards to Broad Street which was bad and I cant remember what the other one was but something equally bad I suspect. I did enjoy it there and also did a stint in the record shop.

Soldato
Aye; everyday after school, I was down the computer section of the High Holborn branch of WMSmith, by the rear entrance playing and talking to the young staff who were tucked away at the back. I was there so often, they even sold me an overheating Spectrum 48k for a fiver in the mid-80s.

Such happy memories; just trawling the cassette covers and gawping at screenshots and letting the imagination run wild. Better times.

Soldato
I worked in computer shops from 1983 to 1986. What an amazing time! Especially great when I got a job which allowed me to buy games at trade prices. :D
I've also worked at various computer shows, demoing games. I loved the atmosphere of those events. Hard work, being on your feet all day, but great fun.

Associate
OP
Aye; everyday after school, I was down the computer section of the High Holborn branch of WMSmith, by the rear entrance playing and talking to the young staff who were tucked away at the back. I was there so often, they even sold me an overheating Spectrum 48k for a fiver in the mid-80s.

Such happy memories; just trawling the cassette covers and gawping at screenshots and letting the imagination run wild. Better times.

Did the spectrum work?

Soldato
I remember these, the Ocean one running in Boots circa 85/86 in the vic centre Nottingham.

Back then i don't think there was any other kind of television media around computer games, aside from 5 minute slots on Saturday morning tv.

Associate
OP
I remember these, the Ocean one running in Boots circa 85/86 in the vic centre Nottingham.

Back then i don't think there was any other kind of television media around computer games, aside from 5 minute slots on Saturday morning tv.
The only games i remember back then was Starglider on Motormouth and Hyper sports, 720 degrees and Paperboy on Firstclass.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only games i remember back then was Starglider on Motormouth and Hyper sports, 720 degrees and Paperboy on Firstclass.

There were a few more, anything from gyles brandreth doing a morning skit on TV-AM, to the BBC doing a chart rundown on superstore. Wasn't aware of Starglider though, were there any more.

Soldato
Loved ‘Barbarian’
I visited Palace Software (makers of Barbarian) when they were working on the game. This was just after The Sacred Armour of Antiriad was released.
I was approacing them for some freelance work, which didn't work out in the end. I did get to see their studio which was above the Scala Cinema in London, and there was concept art for Barbarian all over the walls. They also had some toy plastic barbarian style swords which they apparently used to help act out and plan the various sword moves.

Associate
OP
There were a few more, anything from gyles brandreth doing a morning skit on TV-AM, to the BBC doing a chart rundown on superstore. Wasn't aware of Starglider though, were there any more.
Im not sure, probably was more, funny as back them looking at the arcade games you was in awe as a kid and would have done anything to have one in your home. Nowadays you can download all of that on MAME and nobody cares lol. If only we had the arcades in the home back then hey, never would have went to school lol.

Back
Top Bottom