Anyone use google pay?

Soldato
There used to be a toggle for NFC in the notification panel, but no longer that I can find on my Android 11 Pixel 4 XL. It's hidden and that's irritating. They make it very easy to turn on though, with a toggle in Google Pay. Scrotes.

I'd solve this by using Tasker to turn off NFC after 5 mins. Then just manually turn on NFC in the app like you say they've conveniently placed in the app :)

You'll always have NFC off then unless you needed it, then it auto shuts off after 5 mins.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'd solve this by using Tasker to turn off NFC after 5 mins. Then just manually turn on NFC in the app like you say they've conveniently placed in the app :)

You'll always have NFC off then unless you needed it, then it auto shuts off after 5 mins.

I don't understand the paranoia over nfc being on all the time as payments only work if the phone is unlocked anyway.

Man of Honour
I use Google Pay on my Smartwatch which I bought on May 6th, I never used it on my phone.
It was quite funny at a pub last week when I paid for my drink with my watch, the barmaid and three others at the bar had never seen it done before with a watch.
I also paid in the Dentists with it last week and she'd never seen it done with a watch.

Soldato
Yep, I've been using it for a good few years. I very rarely use my physical card anymore.

I remember the early contactless days when I'd always gets into 'discussions' with people at tills when I'd try to pay for anything over £30 with Google pay and they were convinced £30 was the limit and would try to tell me to put my card in.

I had that at a restaurant once, again like you in the early days, I went to pay the bill using my phone and the hostess was adamant it wouldn't work as it was over £300. She let me do it anyway and was surprised when it authorised.

Soldato
Only issue I have with it is if you have a wallet type phone case when folded back the bank cards in sleeves try to activate the nfc.
Easily resolved by turning nfc off but sometimes I forget to turn it back on when I go to pay!

Soldato
I have wondered about this too.

I have used Google Pay for a few years now but have never used Samsung Pay. I have a Samsung Galaxy Watch and a Samsung S20 Ultra. Can the 2 be linked so that the watch uses Google Pay, or will I need to set up Samsung Pay on both devices?
Not the specific answer you wanted but some cards are Google Pay or Samsung Pay. They'll deregister from one or the other.

Man of Honour
I've just had to get a new phone which has the option for google pay on it, anyone use it and happy with it?
Pros, cons etc?
I'm a bit worried security wise but is it any different to just using a contactless card anyway?

It's more secure than contactless from your physical card in that you are more likely to lose your card than your phone. Also unlimited max payment when your phone is unlocked in most places.

There are no cons to Google Pay.

Samsung Pay is the same as Google Pay in function. Samsung Pay is less aesthetically pleasing as they have a massive Samsung ad banner at the top in the app which is annoying.

Associate
Not carried a wallet or physical card since I configured Google pay. Although, I do have an emergency monzo card in the car 'just in case'

Associate
I've been admiring the "ridge wallet" for some time as it is so compact compared to traditional wallets, but, the wifey bought me a beautiful leather wallet last Christmas so my compact dreams have been left unfulfilled.

When my nice wallet gets tatty I think I'll give Google pay a try as it sounds just what I'm looking for. I never leave the house without the phone, very rarely use cash and don't use the wallet other than for carrying cards.

Associate
It's good and I use it, one time though I did a shop at Sainsbury's, got to the checkout and went to pay with my phone, bloody battery was dead and I didn't have my wallet on me so had to run out to the car which was in a multistorey car park. Woman on the checkout wasn't impressed :cry:

Back
Top Bottom