Greta Thunberg

Man of Honour
She does, says and knows nothing more than any school kid studying Geography, and every such kid with a passion for the subject would be just as vocal about global warming as she is.

Well according to Attenborough she's way further on than that.
Being aspergic she retains information better than the norm and she becomes very knowledgeable.

Soldato
That leaves everything in place though to pollute and go wrong.

I think an abandoned human civilization would definitely be worse

Yup, all those nuclear power station, chemical plants and virus research facilities aren’t going to just shut down nicely and not fall apart without humans to maintain them.

And that’s before we get into all the various WDCs in the hands of the world’s military forces.

Man of Honour
Yup, all those nuclear power station, chemical plants and virus research facilities aren’t going to just shut down nicely and not fall apart without humans to maintain them.

And that’s before we get into all the various WDCs in the hands of the world’s military forces.

Nuclear power stations are designed to shutdown gracefully unattended - in the longer term there might be issues with spent fuel, etc. most of those are going to produce very localised issues such as ground water contamination in the immediate area and have little if any global implications.

Soldato
Nuclear power stations are designed to shutdown gracefully unattended - in the longer term there might be issues with spent fuel, etc. most of those are going to produce very localised issues such as ground water contamination in the immediate area and have little if any global implications.
So called 'spent fuel rods' should be viewed as an opportunity rather then as a problem. In France they have shown you can recycle and extract most of the remaining uranium from those rods which one it's enriched can be used again in power plants. I can't find a source but someone did estimate there is enough energy in those spent fuel rods to power the Earth's current energy requirements for next 300/400 years.

Associate
In your opinion, I think she is a very clever girl from all the documentaries, reading material and witness accounts I've seen & heard.

Parroting things adults have told you to isn't a sign of intelligence.

I also never stated she isn't intelligent, I stated that she is no different to any other Geography student with a passion for the subject.

This level of intelligence is the norm. Gretta simply got lucky and got noticed or knew the right people.

Soldato
In your opinion, I think she is a very clever girl from all the documentaries, reading material and witness accounts I've seen & heard.

She’s a youthful face to state the obvious.
We all know the impacts of using fossil fuels at the rate we do, but ultimately very few of us care because we are too caught up in our own problems - like earning a living.

Associate
'Oh wow, a kid is passionately repeating things it has been taught, this is surely the next Einstein!'.

Also even if you try to care about these issues, everything we put in our green bins was being sent to Turkey to be incinerated instead of recycled. Whose fault exactly is that?

Most normal people are simply fed up with this. Every person that runs around complaining about global warming is doing absolutely nothing to help the situation improve.

In the process of bringing the UK / wests carbon emissions to zero, all we've simply done is shipped off all our waste elsewhere to be burned. Explain how this is fixing global warming and isn't making it worse?

Do you see Gretta or any such activist doing anything about how such waste is handled, or how much more pollution is coming from China / India / Brazil?

We were actually taught about the pollution levels of those countries during my Geography classes, basically rapid rising population with rapid industrialization = massive amounts of pollution. It seems like Gretta and other activists skipped this lesson entirely.

Focusing on the EU and UN alone isn't going to do anything to reduce global pollution.

Last edited:
Soldato
We all know the impacts of using fossil fuels at the rate we do, but ultimately very few of us care because we are too caught up in our own problems - like earning a living.
Isn't it 70% corporations fault and largely China with their emissions so why isn't she over there giving them what for?

Soldato
Isn't it 70% corporations fault and largely China with their emissions so why isn't she over there giving them what for?

There are things that rest of us can all do, like not buying products that are wrapped in non-recyclable packaging, buying lose fruit and veg, shop in refill type stores etc. Sure compared to the big boys it's not much but every little helps.

Soldato
So called 'spent fuel rods' should be viewed as an opportunity rather then as a problem. In France they have shown you can recycle and extract most of the remaining uranium from those rods which one it's enriched can be used again in power plants. I can't find a source but someone did estimate there is enough energy in those spent fuel rods to power the Earth's current energy requirements for next 300/400 years.
That's what Sellafield is for, from memory the Thorpe reprocessing facility amongst others. The UK is/was a World leader in reprocessed fuel, MOX chiefly. We did used to export MOX fuel to other countries, not sure anymore.

I'd like to see more molten salt reactors, it feels like an untapped technological avenue.

Man of Honour

Oh yeah, I'm the worst ever and don't do anything she says, I just think she's got her head screwed on and I admire what she's trying to do.
I don't even know what my 3 bins are for.

Soldato
A few years ago I did wonder if a global pandemic (a la Survivors 1970s TV series) might be the best thing for the planet as human beings (and politicians particularly) seem unable/unwilling to fix their "issues" but I'd definitely prefer we fixed this ourselves

Just as a side, Survivors got a damn good remake about 10 years ago but got **** canned after the second season, leaving a huge cliff-hanger, still ****** at the BBC about that.

Back
Top Bottom