Can somebody explain Love Island to me

Soldato
It’s the socially acceptable method of mocking the afflicted via manufactured drama. The people are vain idiots and the voiceover man just extracts the urine from them.
Yep. Jade Goody made the world realise this kind of crap sells extremely well. Big Brother just wasn't outright scandalous enough.

Plus, sexy young girls

Soldato
There are many vain showoff types who are simular to the contestants and live their life with the same world view.

Easy to spot them, fake tan, bleach teeth, skimpy clothes, blingy items, look like the are obsessed with their image .

Man of Honour
You didn't get invested in it.

A lot of these shows you can't just drop by and watch 5 mins and expect to see anything that will 'grab' you. I remember making fun of the girls who watched Big Brother back in the day, until I started dating one and we started watching a season from the beginning. It also helps to watch with someone who genuinely lives for these type of shows as they provide a good guide to whats going on. The longer you watch the more it grabs you, you learn the contestants, pick favourites, ones that annoy you etc. then just like that you're invested. I briefly had this with TOWIE, thought it was garbage gutter level TV until I had a flatmate who had it on all the time, couldn't help but slowly learn more and more about the show and characters and then the entire flat was watching it.

It's no different to following a sports team, you have your favourite players, rivalries, rumours, drama surrounding the event, the outside conversation that carries over into work the next day..

Man of Honour
I can't...

Other half watches it. I go do other things. Only way I'd watch it is if they kept all but 1 of the vapid numptys the same, but change the last one to an amateur Jason Voorhees.

That'd be entertaining.

Soldato
I can explain it fairly simply.

9pm comes, I retreat from the living room to my PC and my partner, who I can only assume, shuts her brain off for 60 minutes.

Caporegime
Pack of skanks and partially braindead men looking filled in so they can then make a career out of being a "celebrity" when they leave, however that works.

Back
Top Bottom