PC dying, upgrade time

Associate
Hi folks, been out of the loop on what's what for a while now so need some help picking out adequate replacement parts. Budget is in the region of £700-£1k and for that I need to find a new mobo, CPU (+cooler), RAM and M.2 SSD. My GPU is a 1080Ti, mobo has to have space for my existing 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs as well as my sound card.

Only looking to game at 1440p so don't need anything massively beefy to support streaming etc. What's out there that's worth looking at?

Associate
OP
How is AMD these days? Last time I shopped for parts they weren't remotely close to being competitive with Intel

Associate
OP
Would you still air cool it? My case isn't the most optimal for air cooling so I'm tempted to get an AIO unit but the past few Corsair ones I've had I've not been overly impressed with

Associate
Yeah that CPU cooler quoted is too tall if not the air case, my cooler is about 140 high (with 2 fans) and is almost touching the glass (noctua nh-c14s).
If you want an aio would probably go with arctic freezer II 360 side/front or 360/240 top (think a 360 can go up there), but then I'm not bothered by RGB.
Edited for clarification

Last edited:
Soldato
How is AMD these days? Last time I shopped for parts they weren't remotely close to being competitive with Intel

Intel aren’t remotely close now. AMD are beating Intel in every metric by a very long way. AMD have hammered Intel by almost a factor of 2 and caught Nvidia in a single graphics generation while pulling massively less power and running much cooler.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would you still air cool it? My case isn't the most optimal for air cooling so I'm tempted to get an AIO unit but the past few Corsair ones I've had I've not been overly impressed with
It's Intels which need nuclear reactor's cooling system to keep them cool under full all core load.
While still getting crushed in multithreaded performance by Ryzens...

How's this look? :)
HyperX memory is overpriced for worser latencies than Crucial.
Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit= £79.99

Caporegime
The O-11 Dynamic isn’t a bad case for air cooling at all but yes there are other options available.

Back
Top Bottom