new build PC

Associate
building a new gaming PC after about 7 years (replacing my faithful 4790k and 1080ti) looking for advice on the parts i chosen , any conflicts or if it could be better within a £2000 budget or would i be better going with a pre-built with new op system?
E7JtLcaXEAM8M7e

Last edited:
Soldato
would i be better with an MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming Z Trio @£749 instead of the 3070ti?
All graphics cards are terrible value at the moment. Seriously just use the 1080 Ti for now, I think you'll find the performance is fine. If I'm wrong you can just buy a new card later, but for that amount of money surely it's worth a try.
3070 Ti, RRP = £530, OCUK = £900, Overpriced by: 70%
3070, RRP = £470, OCUK = £750, Overpriced by: 60%

Associate
ok i've put a WD 1tb NVME m.2 ssd in but would i be better with an MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming Z Trio @£749 instead of the 3070ti?
IMHO use a smaller 500GB NVME solely for the system drive, store nothing else on it. Point all your data to another drive of your choice.
I'd concur with other posters who say keep the 1080i for now at least.

Associate
OP
i know they're massively overpriced but can't keep my existing GPU , giving my old system to my Girlfriend ,shes currently on a old laptop running a 1gb radeon gpu , can't play anything worth a damn :cry:

Soldato
would i be better with an MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming Z Trio @£749 instead of the 3070ti?

No. Prices for gaming GPUs are silly right now. Prices are elevated thanks to cryptomining and general scarcity. Prices are coming down, though and - hopefully - will normalise soon. Your best bet is to look out for drops of Nvidia's FE cards. These are sold by one of OCUK's competitors and recently stock has been lasting upwards of an hour.

Soldato
IMHO use a smaller 500GB NVME solely for the system drive, store nothing else on it. Point all your data to another drive of your choice.
Zero sense in filling limited M.2 slots with tiny drives.
As for use experience even in HDD time using single drive made no real difference in gaming PC, unless you had too little RAM.

Soldato
While better than in half of MSI's X570 range, VRM of that board is still cheap old design.
Also it's overall very stripped down model.
B550 boards would give higher efficiency modern VRMs for lower price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-mag-b550-tomahawk-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-359-ms.html

And no need for paying Noctua's brand prices.
It might even have Intel optimized convex base causing smaller good contact area with Ryzen's convex heatspreader.
Alpenfohn Brocken 3 CPU Cooler - 140mm= £42.95

Associate
i know they're massively overpriced but can't keep my existing GPU , giving my old system to my Girlfriend ,shes currently on a old laptop running a 1gb radeon gpu , can't play anything worth a damn :cry:

What is she wanting to play? What res? My son has a GTX1050Ti and still gets to play pretty much all games at the max his screen can handle (1080P 120Hz)... I'd recommend getting something like that (or a GTX1060 6Gb if you want to push the boat out)... RTX3000 cards are still pretty OTT on prices unless you're getting one bundled with a pre-built new PC.

Soldato

Get her a 4600/4700U laptop they make very decent gaming systems for reasonable money.

Back
Top Bottom