Colleague off sick for five weeks. Has Doctors note. Is currently in Ibiza.

Caporegime
OP
A couple of months ago he was unhappy with the workload. It’s busy and we’re kept busy all day but little does he realise than from six people we were working with only two people actually in for nearly two whole weeks thanks to holidays and his and another staff members sickness. Lots knows what he’d think about the workload then!

Soldato
Stress due to being overworked isn't a joke.

Except she's stated that she doesn't find the job high stress, and you didn't ascertain whether the workload was causing additional stress before suggesting she go to management with the ultimatum. Anybody suffering from stress, depression, or mental health issues should definitely feel safe taking time off to recover. I don't think that's what you were suggesting though.

Man of Honour
I think we have reached a bit of a point of inflection in the professional / human world, stress and mental health are much more recognised which is great... however, we're in a funny spot where there's now almost a "get out of jail free card" for people that are just a bit lazy and don't like hard work. It's a tough balance to blend now without encroaching on human rights and well being, but also on dealing with lazy entitled people. Of course it's not that black and white.

I guess perhaps it depends on your generation? Maybe stupidly, I accept that I'll never do my 37.5hrs a week (I do significantly more, with no TOIL or extra pay), but I also don't mind working hard and realise that the work needs to be done (I've been doing this for over 20 years - and it's got me to senior roles with pretty decent packages). That said, I can understand that younger generations feel that they are just following their contracts and shouldn't work more / less than what their contracts say, and that it should be the employer to manage workloads accordingly. However there's a bit of a reality check needed. Life is stressful and work can be hard (heck new doctors/nurses, or junior lawyers do 70+ hrs!) but a little flexibility is now needed as we understand that mental health is a thing.

It's a rather tough balance to get right and harder still to sift out the **** takers.

Can't type for toffee
Don
As other have said, nowt to do with you tbh
Yeah he might be on "holiday" but could have serious health issues that may or may not get fixed in a short time if ever.

Are you saying you'd trade your health and potentially your life (depending on the actual cause) for a bit time off work?
There are many illnesses that aren't visible and as other have mentioned mental health issues can be crippling.

You may classify it as not high stress, but do others? some might not, some could have other things going on.
Some could have issues going on in there personal lives causing huge issues for them.

With this just let them get on with it as it's really no concern of yours.
And if you want time off that bad just book some leave :)

Soldato
What we're seeing is a mollycoddled generation in the workplace now, who have grown up most of their lives thinking that you don't have to work hard to get anywhere in life, have never been told 'no' and think that everything will be handed to them on a plate like it was when you won a medal for coming last in the school sports day without doing any training. It's fine for them at the moment, but as the older hard workers leave, someone is going to have to pick up the slack. I do feel for them, because it must be psychologically destroying.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just mind my business and don't worry about what other people are doing. If your work load is too high then tell your manager, if work colleagues "getting out of work" bothers you to the point of resentment then maybe you should just get a job that doesn't make you feel like that. If 4 people out of a team of 6 are off, why would your manager expect the work to be complete? What provisions are in place? Why are 2 people off in a team of 6? That's 33% shrinkage in annual leave alone. Your manager is the issue.

Soldato
What we're seeing is a mollycoddled generation in the workplace now, who have grown up most of their lives thinking that you don't have to work hard to get anywhere in life, have never been told 'no' and think that everything will be handed to them on a plate like it was when you won a medal for coming last in the school sports day without doing any training. It's fine for them at the moment, but as the older hard workers leave, someone is going to have to pick up the slack. I do feel for them, because it must be psychologically destroying.

On the other hand you have the 'hard working' older workers who seem really busy all the time. When you actually look at what they are doing it's so arse backwards it can easily done in half the time but they will not change as 'that's how it's always been done'

Soldato
On the other hand you have the 'hard working' older workers who seem really busy all the time. When you actually look at what they are doing it's so arse backwards it can easily done in half the time but they will not change as 'that's how it's always been done'

Thats not unique older people.

Soldato

Is this backed up by any studies?

Back
Top Bottom