The time has come

Associate
To pass on my build ,
My son is serving in the armed forces and is now back in the UK ,
I said once he back and settled id sort him out with a pc,

specs are i7 8700k,z370 i gaming ,16gig 3600,2080ti with the usual gubbins ssd and 750 psu still a decent pc for gaming

So it gives me a chance to branch out ,ive been looking at a Build as ill never get the parts based around the 3080 ,could someone spec me above what i have based around the 3080 please

running the Asus Predator x34 [120 hz]

Soldato
Budget??

Do you mean you want a better rig than your current one with a 3080 in it?

3080 are almost impossible to get. OC dont have any even for there pre/custom builds only 3070's.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,196.04 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Theres an idea with no budget obviously need a gpu ad £700+

Associate
It is possible to get 3080s, but easier to get 3070s. Either is still difficult but can be done with time and patience. There are some part alert discords that will notify you of stock but you have to be quick.
I think it'll be some time before you can reliably get hold of one directly from OCUK - I did ask a number of months ago about joining the waiting list but that's no longer an option.

The real sad part is that even previous gen hardware is being sold for bonkers prices.

Ryzen CPUs are also going at an inflated rate, so might be worth considering Intel which are still reasonably priced in many cases, though the downside here is that they don't currently support PCIE-4 (but will you really need that?).

As an example, by using Intel, you could save over £100 in comparison to the build dfour mentioned that way:

Total: £1,086.04 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Just a thought​

Associate
OP
Thank you ,
I did notice both of you advise on the Lian li case which gives me a bit of thought as im coming from the corsair 220 [which is a little small]
And i also wonder why you have both gone for Alpenfohn air cooler and not a AIO

If i was to at some point find the 3080 ,would you say that's a decent step up from my previous build above

I haven't done a self build in quite a while :?

Associate
Thank you ,
I did notice both of you advise on the Lian li case which gives me a bit of thought as im coming from the corsair 220 [which is a little small]
And i also wonder why you have both gone for Alpenfohn air cooler and not a AIO

If i was to at some point find the 3080 ,would you say that's a decent step up from my previous build above

I haven't done a self build in quite a while :?

Mine was a literal swap of dfour's basket - just changed the CPU and Motherboard to suggest considering Intel if you don't need PCIE-4 :)

AIOs are a bit gimmicky imo. They're good for saving space around the CPU area to help prevent clashing with memory modules but their cooling performance vs air isn't really substantial as far as I'm aware

Soldato
Not the greatest fan of AIOs. Air coolers can keep up with most aios especially the monster Noctua.

Total: £108.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

I was trying to keep the cost down as I didnt know your budget when I put it together. The worst that can break on an air cooler is a fan for £20 or so. The aios are more reliable now but if the pump goes its a whole replacement.

The above rigs would be a massive improvment with a 3080 vs your old rig regardless of what resolution you use.

Associate
OP
thank you both

Ill go mull over your ideas ,my biggest problem is going to be the gpu
Think thats why i was considering a pre build ,just to save the hassle of waiting [which could be quite a while]

I did see a decent pre with a 3080 and the ryzen 9 5900x around the 2.3k marker

Soldato
it can make some difference in certain programs but its usually 3-6% with the occaisional high and low.
You can always use ryzen Dram calculator software to overclock the ram if you want to.

Associate
DDR4 RAM runs at a "maximum" of 2400mhz by standard, so you'll need to overclock to reach those speeds anyway. Typically, enabling XMP in BIOS is an easy way to reach the advertised speeds.

If you don't, your 3200mhz RAM will run at 2400mhz

Associate
OP
Good evening ,due to at the time the gpu issue ,and his posting changing ,building/buying didnt go to plan

Its looking like its a go now ,do the above still stand guys ,and are there any pre builds out there that are worth it [time can be an issue]

Soldato
Really , i thought the 3080 was a better card ,and going by prices there both around the 1k mark anyway
At around the same price I'd go for a 3080 since while both have a similar raster speed the 3080 has much better RT and also can use DLSS.

Soldato
Really , i thought the 3080 was a better card ,and going by prices there both around the 1k mark anyway

I’d probably lean toward the 6800XT unless the 3080 was less money. I’d go with the 16gb of VRAM and cooler running card. Plus you don’t need a such a high end PSU and case cooling.

Associate
OP
Morning all ,my budget allows me to possibly go for the 3080ti/3090
But is it really worth it over the 3080 itself ,the 3090 is nearly double the price of the 3080 itself [still not sure about the AMD gpus ,but like i said i dont have any experience with the newer graphics cards ]

Man of Honour
Morning all ,my budget allows me to possibly go for the 3080ti/3090
But is it really worth it over the 3080 itself ,the 3090 is nearly double the price of the 3080 itself [still not sure about the AMD gpus ,but like i said i dont have any experience with the newer graphics cards ]
3080ti is between 10 to 20 % faster depending on the game over the 3080 but uses a lot more power like the 3090. Cost to performance is never relative especially at the high end so its your call.

AMD latest gpu perform very well slightly outperforming comparabille to nvidia but take a big hit when ray tracing is enabled , i would suggest checking out reviews before you buy any gpu.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom