• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my 980 Ti Dying?

Associate
So I've got a 980 Ti that's a bit long in the tooth at this point and a few months back it started behaving a bit strangely.

In certain games, more than one but not all, I get major crashes to windows/full system hard locks. Generally it takes a while for the crashes to happen which would suggest temps but short of having a temp sensor in the loop I'm 99% convinced that isn't the issue. I was also previously cooling everything on a single 360 in a Corsair 800D but switched in Jan time - the issues started happening before the move. Temps on the GPU never got past 50 even on the single 360 rad loop so I haven't cooked it at any point in its life.

The setup is a 9600k @ 4.8 (1.31V) and 980 Ti stock being cooled by 2x 360 fat boy rads in an O11D XL (bottom and side intake). The GPU is on a vertical mount.

Some games that cause problems:
Outriders
Jedi: Fallen Order
Witcher 3
Rogue Company

That's everything I can think of that might be relevant, so the question is... Is the GPU just straight up on the way out or is there something I might have overlooked which could be the cause of the problem?

Associate
OP
It's a fair question. I was mostly going with an assumption of GPU as it's the oldest component and the issues only occur when it's heavily loaded. If I run a cpu burn in prime or cinebench it doesn't have any issues and I recently replaced the PSU for a totally overkill unit so I'm confident that isn't the problem.

Soldato
Well, if it were me, and I suspected a GPU fault, first thing I would do is disable all overclocks (if any) of the GPU, RAM, CPU, etc.

Then I would run DDU.

Then I would run something like Heaven Benchmark and see if I was still getting crashes.

And I'd make a note of any error messages if getting BSOD's (you didn't indicate if you had any).

Soldato
Is there anything being recorded in the system log section of Event Viewer when you get these crashes? That can be quite helpful for narrowing things down.

Soldato
I would normally associate hard locks with cpu which may indicate your cpu overclock isn't working anymore. Try lowering the overclock and voltage on your cpu and see how you get on.

I'm generalising here but gpu faults would normally cause the more common black screen with sound still playing or artifacts on screen etc. PSU would be the next in line i would point to fault, is the fan spinning on your psu? I had an instance before where the psu fan stopped working which caused the psu to overheat during prolonged gaming or workloads, hard locked and would require a restart.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses all.

@Jay85 The PSU fan is fine, it still spins after powering down and it's only 7 months old, plus the crashes were happening with the previous PSU.

@Aretak nothing useful unfortunately, just info stuff from when it boots up - nothing before.

I've gone back to stock on the CPU to see if that fixes things. Will try some games tonight and see if there's any difference. I don't know if I've been lucky before but I've never seen a long term stable OC fail after a few years in this way.

str

str

Soldato
You should limit your 980 TI to 80% power to see if that solves the problem.

The hypothetical about some 980 TIs is that the power circuitry degrades over time and eventually a significant power draw reduction intermittently happens for a few frames. This issue stresses the weakest components on the PCB hence the crashes or for some their cards have gone up in smoke.

My Gigabyte 980 TI G1 Gaming required the removal of two degraded but still intact ferrite beads and if I hadn't done so they would have gone up in smoke eventually and could have taken the card with them.

Soldato
Id agree and double check the CPU OC. if you have one set. Or disable all OC/set mem to stock 2133mhz run games again if you dont crash anymore then something wrong with your CPU OC or memory.

Prime 26.6 (no avx) custom, tick run fft's in place then set min/max fft length at 12. Run for a couple of hours. I've ran normal prime 24hrs solid and then booted into a game and crashed multiple times. Only when i ran the above settings was my OC instability found.

After that personally i'd run memtest x86 at xmp spec overnight see if you get any errors.

Lockups are usually associated with CPU/RAM from experience.

Associate
OP
Yep, I'm feeling pretty stupid now. Looks like my CPU OC had gone sour. Going back to stock settings with just XMP enabled and running a few games for a couple of evenings now looks to have fixed it.

Thanks for the advice all.

Back
Top Bottom