• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD vs Intel. Gaming top dog?

Associate
Short answer - yes
i9 11900K is roughly equal to r7 5800X, at higher cost and power draw (even stock). Everything else from Intel is lower
r9 5950X is the absolute top dog

But as many will point out, at high resolution and ultra quality CPU matters less. A cheaper (6 core) model is always better if it allows you to go one tier higher on GPU

Caporegime
11900K = 8 cores 16 threads
5900X = 12 cores 24 threads + better per core performance and uses less power.

I would take a 5800X over an 11900K even at the same price, never mind the 5900X at a lower price.

Associate
Gaming? Either would be my answer if the 11900K wasn't massively overpriced.
The big power consumption difference doesn't bother you?
I think the the 11900K would have to a good bit cheaper to make up for having to get a better cooler, bigger VRM and PSU.
Unless you meant that with all that considered, the 11900K is massively overpriced!

Soldato
There is no difference betwen Intel 11th gen and AMD's Ryzen 5000 series, if you're running at a modern 4K, as the best GPU's are still GPU limited.

If you're an old fart stuck in the last decade on 1080P, 1440P, then CPU does matter, though Intel with the 11900k win in some titles, 5950x wins in others.

Caporegime
Ok thanks. I knew this was the case.

But the issue is my friend keeps telling me it's not what he sees in the comparison videos he finds on YouTube. Like this one.... :o

Ok i can tell you what's going on there.

For one AMD are not always faster, certainly not if the GPU, not the CPU is doing the heavy lifting, that's a bit like... no its exactly like saying look at how fast X CPU is compared to Y CPU but the GPU is actually doing all the work and there is only a couple % between them.

The very first one: Assassin's Creed Valhalla; is an example of this, 119 vs 125FPS with the GPU loaded at 95%.

Project Cars; is 124 vs 118 to the Ryzen CPU and the GPU is only at about 70%, that's an actual CPU bottleneck but in this case they are about even.

CYBERPUNK 2077; is a small lead to the 11900K 134 vs 123 GPU at around 80%

Call of Duty : Warzone; about even

Death Stranding; Small win to the 5900X

Battlefield V; about even

Red Dead Redemption 2; small win to AMD

Mafia Definitive Edition; small win to Intel

Microsoft Flight Simulator; very even

Watch Dogs Legion; small win to Intel again.

Ok, this video, and there are many many other videos like it, tell us absolutely nothing at all, they are completely useless. Because its a mixture of GPU limited runs and Games that don't really show one or the other to shine above its rival, its so peacemeal i don't even know why people make these sort of videos its almost as if they are trying really hard to not upset one or the other, every one is a winner.

If you want to see a real difference between these CPU's you have to push the CPU, not the ###### GPU, and when you do that, such as in eSports they look like the very different animals that they are, Ryzen 5000 is consistently faster than Intel, and sometimes by huge margins.

Send your friend this video.

fYVPLn2.png

Soldato
For the majority of people gaming with a high end GPU above 1080p in GPU bound situations then it doesn't really matter as both will perform the same.

Is ryzen 5000 better? Yes

Is it noticeably better? not really.

Soldato
For the majority of people gaming with a high end GPU above 1080p in GPU bound situations then it doesn't really matter as both will perform the same.

The majority of people use Intel graphics.

Man of Honour

But the issue is my friend keeps telling me it's not what he sees in the comparison videos he finds on YouTube. Like this one.... :o

Dont even have the argument, just tell the man to buy an 11900k if thats what he wants and to be happy :) There isn't much at all in it generally unless you look at multithreaded performance where there is a massive difference, I mean the ryzen is the superior chip/platform right now no question.

Caporegime

For sure i do not disagree with you, however, if you're looking at these sort of videos you get the impression the CPU doesn't really matter, hell i used to think like that many moons ago.

And for a time to what you're looking at it might not, but if you're looking at two £500 CPU's and the message you're getting is 'hold your nose and go eeny meeny miny moe' you might you end up with the 11900K instead of the 5900X, in which case as a Youtuber you're not really informing your audience properly when you're ignoring everything that sets them apart.

I wouldn't pay £500 for an 11900K when the 5900X is the same price, not even after 12 pints and a few knocks on the head, that's because i know the difference between them, if i was ignorant like most people are and was watching that TG video @opethdisciple posted i would probably end up with the 11900K and that to me makes his video atrocious misleading garbage. especially if the reason for its peacmeal Blair-right mediocrity is a calculated choice not to burn bridges of a possible future sponsorship with Intel or AMD.

Soldato
Tbf though if your buying a CPU then you should probably watch more than one video before making the choice else you only really have yourself to blame.

Man of Honour

The power consumption makes it a no brainer really, BFV is the worst example: 170 to 110 for the same fps :o

Soldato
There is no difference betwen Intel 11th gen and AMD's Ryzen 5000 series, if you're running at a modern 4K, as the best GPU's are still GPU limited.

If you're an old fart stuck in the last decade on 1080P, 1440P, then CPU does matter, though Intel with the 11900k win in some titles, 5950x wins in others.

Pretty sure it's the old farts on 4k. They can't make the most of high hz when any reaction speed is gone, plus they generally have more disposable income :D

Soldato
I know I know. It wasn't for me but for a non technical mate.

He likes to argue a lot.
If he's willing to pay £500 for CPU, it should have performance reserve and future proof core count.
And 8 is core count of consoles... Even if it says Intel on top.
Though no console maker would accept such power hogging space heater, which needs nuclear reactor to feed it and another's cooling system to prevent meltdown.

With strongly GPU bottlenecked situation AMD's stronger cores don't maintain highest possible clocks all the time, which causes some performance setback from time spent on clock speed changes.
But stuck there new stronger GPU and Ryzen has less spare time to go to lower states, while Intel doesn't have any reserve left.
Neither Intel has reserve cores for background stuff when new games completely made for strong 8 core CPU consoles are here.

Back
Top Bottom