Asking for a payrise or financial help- advice

Soldato
In a bit of a crappy situation where my job is costing me money by racking up miles on the car and giving me expensive garage bills like I'm facing today.
I'm also very underpaid and overqualified, I've gone for job interviews but keep getting passed off by them saying we have hired internally. I've asked for a payrise in my current company but they say no.
Any advice towards asking your employer for a payrise, this is what I have come up with:
I'm the only person in the department of I go they will need to hire someone, good luck getting someone on my wage.
I was promised a payrise 3 years ago..verbally unfortunately.
I know the budgets for our department I know we can afford a payrise.

Should I be open about my financial difficulties it's getting to a point where I must think can i visit 50 sites this month or should I do 40 so I can afford dinner for the month.

Man of Honour
Sounds like an extremely unhealthy situation to be in and a company which seems to care little for you. I would keep looking elsewhere.

Man of Honour
Agreed find another job, you've stated you are overqualified so even if you get a pay rise it won't be to the level you want because they don't need all your skills.
How many jobs have you interviewed for?

In terms of your financial difficulties, they are 'irrelevant' to the employer in the context of remuneration. It might have relevance in terms of the impact on your mental health, but it is not an employers responsibility to ensure that their staff are financially stable. An employer needs employees that will add value (productivity above their total package cost), it is up to the employee themselves to manage their own finances. People saying they can't afford to live on their wage is not a reason to give them more money, this should be based on how much value they are adding, what additional responsibilities they are taking on, market rates / cost of replacing them etc.

Soldato
Same boat as you. Realised I'm significantly underpaid for my role and have requested a pay-review. I started the process in May and I will find out next month what will happen. If no or very little movement on pay I'm going to suck it up and start looking elsewhere for jobs which is a shame as I love where I work but not enough that I'm missing out on £12k+

Good luck!

Soldato
Before I went contract, every previous employer had a mileage claim form where they would reimburse employees for private vehicle use, as per the going rate on gov.uk.

A little bit of googling and I read that they do not have to do this by law, which is a surprise.

@bakes0310 if I came to you and said I'm overqualified for my job, but my employer doesn't pay me enough, doesn't follow through on promises and takes advantage of me by making me use my personal car - what would you tell me to do?

If you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for quick responses.
I've applied for about 15 jobs and had about 4 interviews all saying that I gave great answers but we have hired internally.
I get 42p-45p per mile is that good?
It's just a shock today with the miles I'm doing cause of my job I have to have 3 new tyres, break pads and fluid. I had to decide if I could get away with critical tyres and hope the police don't spot me and keep them for a couple months. Of course I can't so I've paid the bill and now I'm deciding on who's house I can scrounge a meal with.

Soldato

45p is the going rate. When I was doing plenty of work miles (under the 10k threshold) it was working out better for me. Fuel doesn't cost 45p per mile unless you're driving a real guzzler. Providing your car is reliable and doesn't need fixing every couple of months I'd imagine you're earning a bit off that.

Soldato
OP
Before I went contract, every previous employer had a mileage claim form where they would reimburse employees for private vehicle use, as per the going rate on gov.uk.

A little bit of googling and I read that they do not have to do this by law, which is a surprise.

@bakes0310 if I came to you and said I'm overqualified for my job, but my employer doesn't pay me enough, doesn't follow through on promises and takes advantage of me by making me use my personal car - what would you tell me to do?

If you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in?

Get another job, I am trying.

I work in health and safety, I'm the only qualified person in the organisation but it doesn't seem to matter in local authority.

Soldato
Surely you are paid mileage to cover your motoring costs?

This is really the sticking point.

You don't mind so much if it's the odd site here and there. But if they're expecting you to be doing tens of thousands of miles a year and not covering fuel expenses etc, then i'd be telling them to provide me a hire car and a company card to pay for the fuel. You'll happily drive into work to pick the car up as well so there's no contesting of paying for your commute from home to the office.

Soldato
OP
45p is the going rate. When I was doing plenty of work miles (under the 10k threshold) it was working out better for me. Fuel doesn't cost 45p per mile unless you're driving a real guzzler. Providing your car is reliable and doesn't need fixing every couple of months I'd imagine you're earning a bit off that.

To be fair I am most months, I guess I'm just having a silly moan.

Soldato

Have you looked at your driving style? Are you driving a petrol or a diesel, on a petrol you should easily be getting 15p a mile, so on 1k miles you're looking at £250 to cover other costs.

Somethings not quite adding up here.

Soldato
So it seems the mileage is an OK little earner - but the rest of it still matters.

I would try LinkedIn or speak to ex-colleagues that work elsewhere, while also getting in touch with local recruiters.

Soldato
Have you looked at your driving style? Are you driving a petrol or a diesel, on a petrol you should easily be getting 15p a mile, so on 1k miles you're looking at £250 to cover other costs.

Somethings not quite adding up here.

Could be that the OP is taking the money he gets for mileage as general salary and then living to that means, rather than ensuring the money from mileage is used to cover any extra car costs incurred.

Soldato
Just in addition to the above,

Whatever the reason is for financial difficulties (too many outgoings? Car costing a fortune etc.) - tell them, they can't help if they don't know. There is no harm being open and honest with your employer.

If you then did decide to leave, it wouldn't come as a surprise.

Caporegime
So it seems the mileage is an OK little earner - but the rest of it still matters.

I would try LinkedIn or speak to ex-colleagues that work elsewhere, while also getting in touch with local recruiters.
Depends on the car really. If he has a 3 litre petrol V6 then I doubt he’s even breaking even. A 1.4L diesel or 1.0/1.2 turbocharged petrol and he’s likely making money.

Man of Honour
I think you have to be careful how you phrase it if telling them about financial difficulties. There's a risk it can come across as entitled.

For example, in the past I had people using private schooling for their kids, mortgage, house extension as reasons why they need more money. Those are all things they've chosen to spend on above and beyond what I have, or in other words they've made a rod for their own back. An employer isn't going to say "OK fair enough pal, I know you need an extra £10k/year so you can have your kids in a posh school meanwhile mine are slumming it in a comprehensive, here you go".

The employer isn't there help in this regard, with the possible exception of the transport arrangements, perhaps they can provide a company car or something.

Soldato
Whilst I understand what you're saying, it sounds like your car is using consulables, so they would need replacing anyway? I understand they are wearing faster due to your mileage for work, but if you're getting paid .45pp then in theory that's covering this.

Back
Top Bottom