Poll: British Grand Prix 2021, Silverstone - Race 10/23

Rate the 2021 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Huh... Who woulda thunked it!

The video in that tweet is totally different though. At no point does Stroll give at least a cars width on the inside. He just turns directly at the apex(stop it at 14 seconds). At Silverstone, Max left at least a cars width for Hamilton, and Hamilton just decided that wasn't enough space.

Soldato
Huh... Who woulda thunked it!

Not really sure these are comparable. Stroll was coming right across leaving no space on the inside. At the point when Max and Lewis crashed there was more than a car width (maybe even 2) on the inside.
Can't find aerial view of Stroll & Verstapen crash but you can see from onboard the difference in space at the point of impact (think both are just after, struggled to pause at the right time).
hgNM4sz.png

Caporegime
Not really sure these are comparable. Stroll was coming right across leaving no space on the inside. At the point when Max and Lewis crashed there was more than a car width (maybe even 2) on the inside.
Can't find aerial view of Stroll & Verstapen crash but you can see from onboard the difference in space at the point of impact (think both are just after, struggled to pause at the right time).
hgNM4sz.png

Not sure what your screen shows really.Different corners so naturally they will look different. Lewis cannot get much further in compared with where he is on the track/the corner or he would just cut the corner :confused:

Fundamentally it is the same collision. Driver looking to overtake nearly alongside approaching the corner. Under breaking the car in front gets the edge and then turns in to their normal racing line hoping the overtaker had backed out. In both situations, the person attempting the overtaking did not.

These sorts of things are about as "racing incident" as you can get in my opinion, and will never be eliminated unless overtaking on the inside of a corner is just banned.

Soldato
Not sure what your screen shows really.Different corners so naturally they will look different. Lewis cannot get much further in compared with where he is on the track/the corner or he would just cut the corner :confused:

Fundamentally it is the same collision. Driver looking to overtake nearly alongside approaching the corner. Under breaking the car in front gets the edge and then turns in to their normal racing line hoping the overtaker had backed out. In both situations, the person attempting the overtaking did not.

These sorts of things are about as "racing incident" as you can get in my opinion, and will never be eliminated unless overtaking on the inside of a corner is just banned.

So you agree that the example given in that tweet is pointless as the two corners are not comparable which was my main point. The screenshot was just to highlight the difference between them.

To be fair I don't care if anyone was/ is at fault here, I'd be quite happy if they both DNF for rest of the season and someone else wins. :)

Caporegime
So you agree that the example given in that tweet is pointless as the two corners are not comparable which was my main point. The screenshot was just to highlight the difference between them.

To be fair I don't care if anyone was/ is at fault here, I'd be quite happy if they both DNF for rest of the season and someone else wins. :)

No, not at all. A corner is a corner. But the turn in and apex will be different so just saying it isn't the same situation because Lewis had more room on his right in that shot/frame is a bit silly. The fact remains, is that they both had room to get round that corner without colliding but they tested each other. Max moved to the inside to take his normal line, expecting Lewis to concede back, and Lewis stood firm, expecting Max to take a slower/wider line around the corner to avoid him. They both called each others bluff and...well, it ended in tears.

Associate
No, not at all. A corner is a corner. But the turn in and apex will be different so just saying it isn't the same situation because Lewis had more room on his right in that shot/frame is a bit silly. The fact remains, is that they both had room to get round that corner without colliding but they tested each other. Max moved to the inside to take his normal line, expecting Lewis to concede back, and Lewis stood firm, expecting Max to take a slower/wider line around the corner to avoid him. They both called each others bluff and...well, it ended in tears.

very definition of racing incident....

Caporegime

It's true that there's more space on Lewis' right, but surely that's simply because Max drove into him much earlier in the corner than when he drove into Lance. Had Max not steered into Hamilton then that gap would have naturally narrowed as Lewis took the corner.

Soldato

+1

Soldato
That last paragraph. Ooof.

Anyone know what inflammatory work of fiction Red Bull submitted?

I think this relates to the general remarks and comments made by Horner both on air and via other media platforms and outlets directly towards Hamilton. i.e. "I hope Lewis is happy with himself" type comments. Basically general accusation that Lewis deliberately took said actions and calculated the exact position and speed into that corner at 180mph to cause specifically a 51G crash and write their car off. Which of course is laughable. Unfortunately the accusations and general behaviour bringing the sport into disrepute sound like they will go unpunished for Redbull, since the last paragraph excuses themselves from having to look into it, because they have already dismissed the appeal. They are basically saying "we can't be arsed to take any of that further as we've dismissed it anyway, but your behaviour has been noted".

Back
Top Bottom