• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gaming CPU successor to 3700x

Soldato
I think all the 3 owners will be happy for quite a while. I certainly won’t be upgrading to anything anytime soon.

There always will be something better on the horizon. Enjoy now and be happy

True always something new, have to pull the trigger or be waiting forever for the next launch of something

Soldato
True always something new, have to pull the trigger or be waiting forever for the next launch of something
If you want speed over cores, you'll be upgrading every couple of gens at least from now on. 15-20% per gen. To some that may be worth an upgrade every single generation. 30-40% in 2 generations is a fair jump for a CPU if it stays that way.

Associate
I've started gaming heavily mainly in shooters, FPS and soon racing games. Currently have 3700X and 3700ti card with 64GB DDR4 ram. I also edit videos too. Question is do I really need it and would it make that much of a difference? I've had my eye on the 5900x

I'd also favour best bang per buck however willing to spend more if it makes much difference. Also gaming on a 1440P monitor with 165Hz refresh.
I saw a noticeable difference going from my 3700x to 5900x, particularly in games like COD and games that use DLSS where it was around 10-20%.

Associate
If you want great improvement in your video editing then more cores is the way to go, if it's gaming faster cpu, so whatever you can push to the max. Make a choice

Soldato
the 5700g is a bit odd as it has less l3 cache 16 down from 32MB and also only has pcie gen 3 support
Yeah the 5700g is funny CPU, 8 crippled Zen3 cores that offer around the same performance as Zen 2 in games as a result of the reduced L3 cache, I'm really not sure who there intended for. If you wanted to upgrade from a 3700X I would try and hunt down an 5800 (non X) on ebay or AliX for around £300, they should hopefully start to become available in the next few months.

Soldato
Yeah the 5700g is funny CPU, 8 crippled Zen3 cores that offer around the same performance as Zen 2 in games as a result of the reduced L3 cache, I'm really not sure who there intended for. If you wanted to upgrade from a 3700X I would try and hunt down an 5800 (non X) on ebay or AliX for around £300, they should hopefully start to become available in the next few months.

The 5700G is surprisingly good for the price, especially with a small overclock. I expect the performance to fall somewhere between a 3800X and 5800X for most workloads.

Back
Top Bottom