Base component selection, Ryzen5

Associate
So, my kids PC decided to blow its guts today. About time as its i5-2500k.
I find myself a BIT behind times when it comes to choosing base components for new build. Mostly trying to find a balance between longevity and performance (i5 had a nice long run :D ).

I want to get Ryzen5, motherboard for it, 16gb of ram and air cooler to suit cpu/mobo/ram combo. Rest is old bits that i have on hand - case, 650w PSU, ssd drives, gtx980ti. Dont care for overclocking.

What would be the most current tech on tight budget i can get ? Advice is really appreciated.

Associate
Ryzen 5 5600X is the most current tech.
Mortar MAX is cheap but will serve well.
Memory I went with cheapest 3600 kit
For cooler pretty much anything should be ok with 65W usage.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £424.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
What would be the most current tech on tight budget i can get ?

If you're on a tight budget, go for the Intel 11400F on a B560 motherboard.

Total: £389.41 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

That doesn't support PCIe v4. The OP should get a B550 motherboard if going for AMD:

Total: £144.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

Soldato
Why?

It makes no difference to a budget build. Other than high end NVMEs it makes no difference (and arguably even then you'd struggle to notice outside of benchmarks)
Could argue it makes no difference for a higher end build either, I'm running a B450 tomahawk + 5800X + RTX 3080 and everything runs fine with PCIe gen 3.0

Soldato
It makes no difference to a budget build.

I disagree. It will affect NVME drives. It will affect DirectStorage. It will affect the GPU if you plug in a second PCIe card, turning the x16 slot into a x8 slot. There are places where you can save money and there are places where you should save money. The two are not the same.

Soldato
I disagree. It will affect NVME drives. It will affect DirectStorage. It will affect the GPU if you plug in a second PCIe card, turning the x16 slot into a x8 slot. There are places where you can save money and there are places where you should save money. The two are not the same.
The B450s second slot runs as a X4 and doesn't effect the main x16 atleast on my B450 tomahawk. I have a 2nd GPU in the 2nd slot of my board mining and it doesn't interfere with the first slots lanes which is running gen 3.0 X16

Direct storage is only running on Xbox currently and that uses a gen 3.0 2500MT nvme so I doubt it will only be reserved for gen 4.0 devices as this would cut out over 95% of gamers.

Don

It's an £80 difference on a budget build...

It's an ideal place to save money, without compromising performance

Soldato
A Ryzen 1600AF is pretty much a 2600X. Pair that with a B450 motherboard and you would be in pretty good shape for not much money.

You could probably get the CPU, HSF, mobo and RAM for less than 300.

A 5600X, A520 board and some 3200MT RAM might be the way to go.

Associate
OP
This time i'm giving my money to team red. Intel is gonna sit this one out.
Read up a bit on things and i want to keep to r5-5600x, as for motherboard, i will be reusing old sata ssd's and a 980ti in it.
Motherboard has to have 4 ram slots, with 2 slots filled by 2x8gb, leaving potential to add more later.
As for pci lane speed, i'm not sure, the 980ti might go, or i might want to add another one to sli, or something. (new gpus are definitely out, not until market comes back to its senses...)...

Soldato
This time i'm giving my money to team red. Intel is gonna sit this one out.
Read up a bit on things and i want to keep to r5-5600x, as for motherboard, i will be reusing old sata ssd's and a 980ti in it.
Motherboard has to have 4 ram slots, with 2 slots filled by 2x8gb, leaving potential to add more later.
As for pci lane speed, i'm not sure, the 980ti might go, or i might want to add another one to sli, or something. (new gpus are definitely out, not until market comes back to its senses...)...
One thing to bear in mind is the 5600X wont provide any additional gaming performances over the much cheaper 2600 / 3600 until you spend £700 on a GPU and even then its only slightly faster.

The 980ti is slower than all these GPUs so it maybe better to go for a cheaper CPU now and then upgrade to a more powerful 8 core ryzen 5000 chip in a few years time when the prices have dropped as £250 is quite a lot to pay for 6 cores especially when its not bringing any additional benefit.

Screenshot-112.png

Associate
OP
I'm thinking opposite way - make base strong for a long run, add expensive bits later. I need to figure out what can i cram into 400 (+-) quid that will scale better with addition of new gpu's/ram in the future. I did the same with 2500k and still alive workstation with 2600k - gpus were rubbish (8800?), but later upgraded. Lasted me a looong time. :D Granted my motherboard in i7 rig cant take nvme's, so i just slapped in an adapter to accomodate it, but i still play a bit of Just Cause 3-4, Path of Exile, Arc, etc... And that rig is covered in moss, 10 years old :D Trying to replicate this...

Soldato
Soldato
I'm thinking opposite way - make base strong for a long run, add expensive bits later. I need to figure out what can i cram into 400 (+-) quid that will scale better with addition of new gpu's/ram in the future. I did the same with 2500k and still alive workstation with 2600k - gpus were rubbish (8800?), but later upgraded. Lasted me a looong time. :D Granted my motherboard in i7 rig cant take nvme's, so i just slapped in an adapter to accomodate it, but i still play a bit of Just Cause 3-4, Path of Exile, Arc, etc... And that rig is covered in moss, 10 years old :D Trying to replicate this...
If thats the case then you should go for an 8 or 12 core right away as 6 cores are minimum for gaming these days and some games like warzone / cyberpunk are already benefiting from 8+

Todays 6 core is equivalent to a dual core from 2011, the 2500K was the 2nd best chip at the time so todays equivalent is the 5900X and thats the chip to buy if you want it to last 10 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
I disagree. It will affect NVME drives. It will affect DirectStorage. It will affect the GPU if you plug in a second PCIe card, turning the x16 slot into a x8 slot.
No it won't affect.
Nothing shares lanes with CPU connected PCIe slot.
But second M.2 slots shares lanes with PCI_E4
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR-MAX/Specification

Also NVMes can load games in seconds just fine without any Direct-overhype-Storage, if game is coded well:
https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/silicon-power-us70-1tb-review/11/

Associate
OP
Todays 6 core is equivalent to a dual core from 2011, the 2500K was the 2nd best chip at the time so todays equivalent is the 5900X and thats the chip to buy if you want it to last 10 years.

Checked out the price of 5900x and noped out real quick. Even 5800x is eating most of the budget. Think i'll stay with 5600x for kids pc, will be going 5900x for my main workstation (Corel / Laser cutting graphics prep / occasional GIMP/PS job).

Presently (Comments ?):
Total: £417.41 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Back
Top Bottom