Questions And Advice For New Build

Associate
OP
I'd go for it as I have a feeling those 3060tis will sell out quite quick.

I know I said this before but thanks again for your help. It really is appreciated. I've put my order in on the GPU only. Worse comes to worse, if I'm only hitting around 20 fps on some games, I'll take it out of ultrawide.

That just leaves everything else to order now!

Since it was a pre-order I hope the graphics card doesn't come too long after the rest! Still better than the ridiculous prices elsewhere.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd go for it as I have a feeling those 3060tis will sell out quite quick.

Got any tips on getting better value for money below (cheaper)? I think if I shop about, I can get the tower to be £918 (everything other than monitor).

• 3600 instead of 5600x would save £73 - Is that worth the price drop. Would it affect performance at all?
  • The case isn't the cheapest but I really like the look of it, particularly with RGB/LED fans. Might be worth reconsidering the case (do you know of any decent white ones that are similar other than H510 which is an option). Air flow isn't supposed to be the best in NZXT cases either?
  • Bit of a waste of money I guess but I'd prefer white cables (could add £25 which kind of defeats the object of value for money)
  • I'd eventually want all RGB/LED fans but I've already tried to cut costs there.
  • I know I can get windows cheaper elsewhere. Is it risky to do and is it easy to install? That could save approx £60.
  • Reason I've picked this B550 motherboard is because of the built in wifi and it seems to have good reviews. Is it easy to update the bios for 5000 series? Would it need it if I ended up with the 3600?
If I went full cost saving mode and dropped to H510 and used the 3600 instead, I can get it down to £765. That's still including an £89 copy of windows 10 though.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,015.16 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Total: £450.65 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Soldato
Obviously you can save quite a bit on windows by installing yourself and picking up a cheap key for a tenner. You can also save on the board by going with the Pro carbon which is the next tier board up to the gaming edge but its on offer right now so works out cheaper also a B-grade 5600X will save you a bit and you can also make an offer for this in CS to try get it even cheaper.

Total: £374.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Obviously you can save quite a bit on windows by installing yourself and picking up a cheap key for a tenner. You can also save on the board by going with the Pro carbon which is the next tier board up to the gaming edge but its on offer right now so works out cheaper also a B-grade 5600X will save you a bit and you can also make an offer for this in CS to try get it even cheaper.

Total: £374.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Ok great, nice one for the advice. I'll give it some thought. Have a bit of time as the GPU won't arrive for a couple of weeks and I can't afford the monitor yet either so no point building a new pc only to not experience the full benefit (only have a 24" 1080p at the moment).

Plenty of things to think about.

Soldato
Keep an eye out for 3080FEs dropping today or tomorrow as some just dropped in Germany so the uk usually follows shortly after. Install Telegram and join channel FE part alert.

Associate
OP
Keep an eye out for 3080FEs dropping today or tomorrow as some just dropped in Germany so the uk usually follows shortly after. Install Telegram and join channel FE part alert.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd left the group when I ordered my card but joined again for now.

I'm not sure whether it's worth holding off it regardless and sticking with the 3060ti to play in 1440p ultrawide for now (assuming the 3060ti can handle it and maybe a bit of VR if I can ever afford a set) then upgrade to the 4000 series when they're released. I know it's all personal preference but it's whether it'll be worth the £200 extra now or not. I'm going to get a PS5 at some point so the £200 would pay for half of that!

I think going from my GTX 670 and Asus VG248QE, I'll already see a massive difference in my build.

I assume I'm ok posting youtube links on the forum? This video suggest 4k is possible with a very similar build with the 3060ti. Only really Cyberpunk with ray tracing where quality needs to be lowered for 60fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouG9Ocx9VzI

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah the 3060ti is a good card which sits between a 2080 super and 3070 / 2080ti so you should be well above 60fps in the majority of games aside from the odd few like cyberpunk as you say which is heavy on any of the latest GPUs even troubles a 3090 at 4K.

Will be night and day coming from a GTX 670.

Associate
OP
Yeah the 3060ti is a good card which sits between a 2080 super and 3070 / 2080ti so you should be well above 60fps in the majority of games aside from the odd few like cyberpunk as you say which is heavy on any of the latest GPUs even troubles a 3090 at 4K.

Will be night and day coming from a GTX 670.

Think that settles it then really. If I get a 4k monitor, it'll be a 60hz panel anyway. (Only 1440p I'll be wanting more).

Soldato
For a tenner less you can get a fantastic airflow case in white with all the rgb you would want to throw at it.

Total: £158.23 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Also saves you another tenner on buying another nzxt fan!!

Also white things

Total: £145.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)

I think the psu has white cables so you wouldnt need to buy both.​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
For a tenner less you can get a fantastic airflow case in white with all the rgb you would want to throw at it.

Total: £158.23 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Also saves you another tenner on buying another nzxt fan!!

Also white things

Total: £145.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)

I think the psu has white cables so you wouldnt need to buy both.​

I don't particularly like the look of mesh front panels but I know that means I need to be prepared for poorer air flow. I love the look of the H510 elite but the price puts me off when I see everywhere people complain about the air flow. Also really like the look of the standard H510 which is half the price but, again, poor airflow. So I guess it all comes down to what I want to prioritise.

That all being said, the Lancool II mesh you've shown me there is one of the few meshed cases I don't mind the look of.

And thanks for the white cables. I was looking for some. I saw a bundle for £24.99. Stupid question but how many of each cable would I need to order?

Should the below cover me for everything I'd need for the full build?

Total: £28.40 (includes shipping: £3.48)​

Soldato
You will only need:
1 eps cable,
1*24 pin psu cable,
2 or 3 8 pin pci-e (depends upon the gpu)
and maybe a sata cable if your using any and they are going to be onshow.

In all honesty though the white rm850 has all white cables (https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...its-Advanced/RMx-Series-White/p/CP-9020188-UK). Buying the cable bundle for the black rm850 costs a fiver more and means you have to hide more cable lenth around the back of the case.

As you have said you dont like mesh fronts then also look at this

Total: £96.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Just replace the corsai fans with the above lian-li white set (or 2) and dont get caught up in all the corsair proprietry conectors. control module and bloatware software rubbish.

Associate
OP
You will only need:
1 eps cable,
1*24 pin psu cable,
2 or 3 8 pin pci-e (depends upon the gpu)
and maybe a sata cable if your using any and they are going to be onshow.

In all honesty though the white rm850 has all white cables (https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...its-Advanced/RMx-Series-White/p/CP-9020188-UK). Buying the cable bundle for the black rm850 costs a fiver more and means you have to hide more cable lenth around the back of the case.

As you have said you dont like mesh fronts then also look at this

Total: £96.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Just replace the corsai fans with the above lian-li white set (or 2) and dont get caught up in all the corsair proprietry conectors. control module and bloatware software rubbish.

Another nice case. I'll have to have a good look through the white cases again before I buy anything.

That's a good point about the white PSU too. I was going to try to save some cash going for the cheaper black option and buying the cables but it ends up the same price.

Soldato
Got any tips on getting better value for money below (cheaper)? I think if I shop about, I can get the tower to be £918 (everything other than monitor).

• 3600 instead of 5600x would save £73 - Is that worth the price drop. Would it affect performance at all?
  • The case isn't the cheapest but I really like the look of it, particularly with RGB/LED fans. Might be worth reconsidering the case (do you know of any decent white ones that are similar other than H510 which is an option). Air flow isn't supposed to be the best in NZXT cases either?
  • Bit of a waste of money I guess but I'd prefer white cables (could add £25 which kind of defeats the object of value for money)
  • I'd eventually want all RGB/LED fans but I've already tried to cut costs there.
  • I know I can get windows cheaper elsewhere. Is it risky to do and is it easy to install? That could save approx £60.
  • Reason I've picked this B550 motherboard is because of the built in wifi and it seems to have good reviews. Is it easy to update the bios for 5000 series? Would it need it if I ended up with the 3600?
If I went full cost saving mode and dropped to H510 and used the 3600 instead, I can get it down to £765. That's still including an £89 copy of windows 10 though.

Total: £1,015.16 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Total: £450.65 (includes shipping: £11.70)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seasonic-g12-gc-550-550w-80-gold-power-supply-ca-07n-ss.html
MO00BGI_259937_105x105.jpg

Drop the HSF and use the wraith. It offers decent performance and low noise.

Swap the PSU for this.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seasonic-g12-gc-550-550w-80-gold-power-supply-ca-07n-ss.html

For the case look at a Silverstone Primera. Very nice quality case pre fitted with fans.

Soldato
Pointless paying the 'white tax' on the ram as its on a black motherboard and the rgb will cover the fact its white unless your running hte rgb in white all the time.

Total: £107.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Always upgrade the cooler to this if your after more white. The ECO's big brother.

Total: £62.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Associate
OP
Pointless paying the 'white tax' on the ram as its on a black motherboard and the rgb will cover the fact its white unless your running hte rgb in white all the time.

Total: £107.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Always upgrade the cooler to this if your after more white. The ECO's big brother.

Total: £62.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

I mainly put the white ones because elsewhere, you can get the SL white sticks for £90.

I really like that cooler but it's a bit pricey. I'm sure I saw an arctic freezer sport 34 duo in white. Think it was around £35

Associate
OP
You will never see the the PSU in most modern cases and 850watt is probably twice what you need.

This in white is a good deal. Three years warranty too.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...bdcc4c-1627490666-0-gqNtZGzNAnijcnBszQ2O#t=f9

Yeah I don't expect to get near the 850w with my build but it's mainly to allow more than enough for future upgrades to 4000 series GPU, better CPU etc. Wouldn't normally spend extra for the sake of it but doesn't cost massively extra for an 850w.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom