Average clutch life ?

Soldato
OP
Hi guys, just an update.

I went to check the Hyundai i20 yesterday and took it for a little drive, got up to 30mph odd and put it in 5th gear and the revs stayed consistent, pedal felt good. I also stuck it in 4th, with handbrake up and lifted pedal slowly it stalled. So it sounds good?

I got the guy down to £900, which is great considering it has FSH, just had serpentine belt done, brakes and full AC regas. Miles are actually 113k , which I suppose isn't bad for a an 11 year old car.

Going to pick it up tomorrow after work. Literally only need the car to last until Feb as I'm emigrating to Australia with the Mrs.

Thanks for all the info guys

Soldato
I was reading this thread thinking >200k the way you talked about it. A tidy little FSH Hyundai with the fiddly/expensive maintenance jobs recently done, 100K miles, working air con and MOT until next year... for £900... and you only need it to last six months? I wouldn't be worried. Hell if you weren't so far away I'd have given you £500 for it when you emigrated just for the eldest to crash a few times while he learns to drive. :p

Caporegime
Any other on board displays which you wouldn't normally see in a car?
A few from the top of my head….

Engine operating hours.

Brake pad wear on all 3 axles (on the tractor)

Service / Inspection intervals.

Air pressure (for the suspension and brakes) Oil pressure, battery voltage, turbo boost pressure

Driving information from the tachograph (hours driven, rest periods, total daily / weekly and fortnightly driving)

On-board weighing

Starting gear (you can choose which gear to pull away in or select automatic where it picks for you)

Soldato
Hi guys, just an update.

I went to check the Hyundai i20 yesterday and took it for a little drive, got up to 30mph odd and put it in 5th gear and the revs stayed consistent, pedal felt good. I also stuck it in 4th, with handbrake up and lifted pedal slowly it stalled. So it sounds good?

I got the guy down to £900, which is great considering it has FSH, just had serpentine belt done, brakes and full AC regas. Miles are actually 113k , which I suppose isn't bad for a an 11 year old car.

Going to pick it up tomorrow after work. Literally only need the car to last until Feb as I'm emigrating to Australia with the Mrs.

Thanks for all the info guys
If you look after the car an don't abuse the clutch it will work fine but what will eventually go is either the master or slave cylinder at around 150K. I don't know what they cost on a Hyundai but on my Mk5 Golf it cost about £50 for a replacement (new/OEM) slave cylinder and that's with me doing the work (in hindsight I should I have got a salvaged part for less).

Associate
Every clutch I’ve ever had changed was due to the gearbox coming off for one reason or another, instead of the clutch itself being the issue. Gearbox noises, flywheels, engine removal etc - if you to remove it, you may as well replace it unless you know the history, as the majority of the cost in these things is the manpower to get to it…

Soldato
A few from the top of my head….

Engine operating hours.

Brake pad wear on all 3 axles (on the tractor)

Service / Inspection intervals.

Air pressure (for the suspension and brakes) Oil pressure, battery voltage, turbo boost pressure

Driving information from the tachograph (hours driven, rest periods, total daily / weekly and fortnightly driving)

On-board weighing

Starting gear (you can choose which gear to pull away in or select automatic where it picks for you)

Nice. I guess that in the brave new world of electric cars, it'll be road speed, miles remaining and tyre pressures, and that's it. I imagine regenerative braking advances will do away with pads/drums altogether eventually.

Soldato
Most milage I have ever done in a car is 110,000 miles a Citroen C4 06 most reliable car I've ever had! Never changed the clutch, never had any problems in that regard.
As others have said it's all down to driving style, I could make tyres last bloody ages because I don't pretend I'm racing everyone to the next set of traffic lights and take it nice and steady, helps on the rest of the wear and tear as well.

Back
Top Bottom