The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

SPG

SPG

Soldato
As above.you will get used to them and you will get disappointed with the results from time to time. Sometimes you have a off day so do another if you think you didn't give it your all.
If it's about the same then your on the path of improvement, like anything it takes time to improve. The good news is you will see huge improvements if your just starting the journey.

Soldato
The more often you do efforts to get FTP estimates, the more you learn how to pace them and what your limits are, more than likely you will quickly progress your FTP and endurance stamina in the coming months. Keep yourself hydrated and fueled, while not setting off to hard too early on, I'm sure you will be fine.

There is also the counter point to this is that if you do them too often your body think it knows it's limit and psychology you settle in to this pace whereas in reality you can push harder. Best way is to not get too fussed by them and just focus on the training if a workout is easy push that little bit harder and if it's too hard ease back a bit, you'll have good days and bad. I do maybe one FTP test a year just to ensure my zones are in the right place, main thing is focusing on what you're trying to achieve. If you're training for your first sportive the target is very different than if you're training for a time trial or racing or a multi day bike packing adventure.

Power meters are a great training tool, but unfortunately they can be a real bane if not used correctly with the focus on the wrong end goal. If you're just starting just go out and enjoy the freedom of riding, you'll get stronger naturally providing you go and smash yourself every now and then :D But if you don't want to do that, you will naturally get more stamina and endurance the more riding you do.

Soldato
There is also the counter point to this is that if you do them too often your body think it knows it's limit and psychology you settle in to this pace whereas in reality you can push harder. Best way is to not get too fussed by them and just focus on the training if a workout is easy push that little bit harder and if it's too hard ease back a bit, you'll have good days and bad. I do maybe one FTP test a year just to ensure my zones are in the right place, main thing is focusing on what you're trying to achieve. If you're training for your first sportive the target is very different than if you're training for a time trial or racing or a multi day bike packing adventure.

Power meters are a great training tool, but unfortunately they can be a real bane if not used correctly with the focus on the wrong end goal. If you're just starting just go out and enjoy the freedom of riding, you'll get stronger naturally providing you go and smash yourself every now and then :D But if you don't want to do that, you will naturally get more stamina and endurance the more riding you do.

I'm of the opinion that frequent FTP tests, where any best 20min efforts are used to get an estimate, ideally where you've ridden near your known threshold just beforehand are useful to see how my performance changes over time. Setting your FTP roughly once a year seems a waste of the tech, even if you are lucky enough to not have injury or health setbacks.

Personally, I try to do all out 20min+ efforts at least every six weeks, often in the form of Zwift TT events. Over the last ~16 months I've had at least six health setbacks, which have swung my FTP estimate by just under a 20% range, which is basically one power zone when doing training workouts.

One of the reasons I often use Zwift TT events to derive estimates is because Zwift ramp tests often flatter my estimate, there's the competition of trying to catch those ahead of me and I have no idea of what my power average is until I cross the line.

Even if not racing in the real world, power meters and FTP estimates are great for giving you an idea of pacing, for me that's usually about pushing myself up hills... Even though I'm currently ~10Kg heavier than four years ago and rapidly approaching 50.

Soldato
Finally managed to get myself a cheap smart trainer: Tacx flow from FB marketplace for the wonderful price of £50.

It looks like its barely been used at all, i gave it a quick test last night and all seems to work. Its not going to be a nice as the Wahoo direct drive one I have been borrowing off my brother, but if it means i can get some winter miles in then its worth it for now.

Associate
Do you guys leave the Zwift difficulty setting on the default 50%? Does riding at 50% kinda defeat the purpose and training effect? I can't get my head around this.

Soldato
I see they have finally updated Zwift so you can see your course progress. About time.

Other great news in only 6 weeks since starting out I've gone from 160w FTP to 205w. Doesn't seem a bad increase that.

Associate
Do you guys leave the Zwift difficulty setting on the default 50%? Does riding at 50% kinda defeat the purpose and training effect? I can't get my head around this.
I've left it at the default. All it does (I think) is alter the number of gear changes you have to do at changes of incline. It doesn't make it easier in the amount of effort (power) needed to go at a certain speed. Setting it low does seem to let you keep the power on more consistently though as you don't find yourself in the wrong gear as much.

Soldato
Does anyone have a referall /trial code for trainer Road at all please? Want to give their new platform a go to see what the adaptive workouts are like.

Soldato

The way I look at it, it effectively changes your cassette. So, if previously you hit a 10% hill and it was crazy hard and you're going 7mph... with an easier setting, it's a little easier, but your going 4mph. To go 7mph you'd have to change up a little to get it to the same difficulty.

In other news, unlocked the Tron bike yesterday :cool:

Associate
The way I look at it, it effectively changes your cassette. So, if previously you hit a 10% hill and it was crazy hard and you're going 7mph... with an easier setting, it's a little easier, but your going 4mph. To go 7mph you'd have to change up a little to get it to the same difficulty.

I found this pretty good explanation which might be of interest to kirkster https://zwiftinsider.com/using-the-trainer-difficulty-setting-in-zwift/

In other news, unlocked the Tron bike yesterday :cool:

Well done :cool: I was a bit slow realising that you could choose the colour.

Soldato

Worth bearing in mind that more basic turbo trainer models have a limited max slope emulation. On my v1 Direto, that's 14%, so when set to 100% any slopes >14% will feel like 14% when not using ERG workout mode. The Tacx 2240 (used to be cheapest "two way interactive" turbo) has a max slope emulation of 7% iirc. There's a few Zwift slopes that have stretches higher than 14%, steepest is ~21% on Yorkshire Pot Bank climb iirc.

Generally, I use 100% trainer difficulty (slope feel), to give me a better idea of what to expect on my road bike when I take it up into the west side of the South Downs which has plenty of ramps in the 6-20% ballpark.

Zwift racers typically use 25-40% ballpark.

Even at 100% trainer difficulty, down slopes are 50%, using a lower setting allows you to put down more power and reduce the odds of not running out of gears.

Soldato
Who went down the route of buying a cheap road bike to use on thier trainer, and how much did you have to spend?

Im going to look at getting a zwift set up for winter, but in the room I'll be doing it there's not room to store my 29er FS MTB with the trainer, so I'll need a 9 speed or above road bike. Having a quick look on ebay etc everything under £300 seems to be 8 speed at best...

FYI I'm looking at the Elite Direto-X OTS, with an Apple TV 4k, on my 55" Sony OLED. I have an air con unit so will hook that up to keep me cool :D

Soldato
I've usually used my summer road bike, up until last year when I snapped my main road bike in an accident that was replaced by insurance with 11sp and good gear on it. I just taped up the frame and it's good to go.

It makes a big difference as I went out and got exactly the same frame again so I know my set up is 100% exactly the same outdoors as indoors and its super comfy rather than riding a bike you hate for months a year, especially when you spend so much on your trainer and the other gear. But depends what you're using it for, if it's just hopping on for a spin then any old bike will do, if you're riding 4-5+ days a week like I know some on here do then you want something you won't mind riding!

might be worth seeing if you can find some snapped carbon that maybe salvageable for some indoor riding!

Associate
@TallPaul_S Do you have any HR sensor that uses bluetooth as you may run out of bluetooth connections on an apple tv as the remote takes one and depending on the trainer that may take one or two connections. I know someone who has a wahoo kickr core like me and they couldnt use their HR monitor on bluetooth. I just used my usual bike it takes less than a minute to swap them over after it's been done a few times, it helps as well on the trainer if i want to adjust my saddle fit as the bike is stable.

Soldato
My HRM is ant+ and Bluetooth, will have to check how the direto does connections, cheers.

Need to look into all that tbh, how to get thr rides into garmin, and strava etc etc.

I'll probably be using it 2-3 times a week over winter, but the faff the set up my mtb on it (go into garage, unhook mtb from the wall, carry it through the house, trying not to get mud everywhere, then remove rear wheel and attach to the trainer) vs having the trainer and the bike set up 6ft away, just needing the sofa pushing back, mat laid out and bike/trainer moved into place, means I'll use it a lot more.

I used to have a gravel bike which I would have used, but now have a gearbox hardtail which isn't suitable, or a 150mm travel coil shock carbon full suspension mtb. Which isn't really suitable either!! :p

Associate
Who went down the route of buying a cheap road bike to use on thier trainer, and how much did you have to spend?

Me. I bought a 58" frame Tiagra group-set bike for £130 off of the bay - works brilliantly. Tiagra is ample for a turbo bike. Now a permanent fixture on my Wahoo Kickr turbo and frees up both summer and winter bikes for use depending on the British weather.

Soldato
If you have a wahoo cycling computer avoid an Elite trainer if you want to ever control the trainer from the wahoo. There is an issue with how they communicate speed, leading to over reading. what should have been a 20-25 mile ride last a little over 30 mins.

Soldato
If you have a wahoo cycling computer avoid an Elite trainer if you want to ever control the trainer from the wahoo. There is an issue with how they communicate speed, leading to over reading. what should have been a 20-25 mile ride last a little over 30 mins.
I do have a wahoo bolt but tbh I'm going to get a garmin edge 830 later this year, I use a garmin forerunner too and having 2 GPS models is a right pain.

Back
Top Bottom