SSD Upgrade for EX58-UD5

Associate
Im trying to hold off a computer upgrade for as long as i can, as currently the pc does everything i need gaming wise but lately it seems to be struggling with the new age of empires.... only thing i can bring it down to is that the hard drive seems to run at 100% a lot if theres any background program running at all while im gaming and the game just shuts off with no error message or anything i just see a windows cursor circle then it all goes off.

Ive had a quick glance at the motherboard and it does seem to have a sata 2 port and ive seen on a compatability website that the samsung 870 ssd should work, just wanting some advice if its worth the money would only be looking at the 500gb version as that should be more than enough for me, current storage used is only 140gb or so.

Current specs of pc are

Motherboard EX58-UD5
CPU i7 920 @2.67
HDD 1TB seagate barracuda 7200 (the old style?)
Memory 12GB DDR3 1600MHZ
Graphics Radeon 5900 series]

So basically would the ssd give me another year or so out of the pc, is it easy enough to install for someone with little pc knowledge and to migrate the current hdd over and is it worth it? I have the budget for a new pc (£1500 ish) but the general consensus on the upgrade sub forum seems to be hold out if possible as new generation of products are due out soon.

Sorry for the long winded post wanted to give as much info as possible

Man of Honour
You could just install the game on the SSD, no need to migrate the whole OS.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about buying it, because more storage is always going to be helpful, even if it goes in a second system, or a caddy as a data backup.

You sure there's not some kind of weird issue happening there? Anti-virus going crazy, or internet cutting out or something?

I've heard about the 870s having issues with older AMD systems, not sure if they do with Intel, but you might want to check.

Associate
SSD will absolutely breathe new life into any old PC. And it is a part that could easily migrate to any new build as well

870 might not be the best choice for its QLC memory. 860 or any other TLC drive should be around same price at 500gb

Man of Honour
SSD will absolutely breathe new life into any old PC. And it is a part that could easily migrate to any new build as well

870 might not be the best choice for its QLC memory. 860 or any other TLC drive should be around same price at 500gb
I assume OP means the evo cos the qvo doesn't come in 500 gb version

Associate
OP
Cheers for the advice guys, opted for the crucial mx500 256gb off your advice, so far ive just installed my game onto it and its improved performance and stopped it crashing.

Might look at cloning the hdd over and running everything off the ssd, but hear its not as efficient/clean as doing a full format and just starting again. Cheers for the advice and help

Associate
OP
Not to crap on your purchase but why a 250gb drive they have the worst cost to capacity another ten quid you would double the capacity :confused:

Ive just googled it and yep rookie mistake haha! Just the fact i only needed 150gb max of space must have tunnel visioned myself into just looked at the lowest storage.

Back
Top Bottom