**Dell PowerEdge T20 Mini Tower Server - Owner Thread**

Associate
I managed to get a peak inside the case and this is the memory info

SK hynix 4GB 1Rx8 PC3L-12800E-11-13-D1

Motherboard (with stripping it) E93839 AM0426

Not sure, but very unlikely I am going to find the same 4GB cheap! Any other options of cheap mem (8Gb) I can use?

Don
I managed to get a peak inside the case and this is the memory info

SK hynix 4GB 1Rx8 PC3L-12800E-11-13-D1

Motherboard (with stripping it) E93839 AM0426

Not sure, but very unlikely I am going to find the same 4GB cheap! Any other options of cheap mem (8Gb) I can use?

Doesn't have to be the exact same - just search for PC3L-12800E

Alternatively you could replace the existing stick with either PC3-12800E, or PC3L-10600E, or PC3-10600E.

PC3 vs PC3L is just normal vs Lower Power ram - you can normally mix and match as Low power modules will just default to normal voltage if another normal voltage module is installed.

10600 vs 12800 is a case of bandwidth, 10600 = 1333Mhz, 12800 = 1600Mhz. In reality there is very little difference in performance, ~5% at most, so it's not worth chasing 12800 if you see a good deal on 10600. In theory you can mix the two speeds as they should just run at the lower speed, but occasionally it can cause issues

As long as the module ends with an E then it is ECC Unbuffered, which is what you will require (and also the same memory that HP Microserver's accept - so you could also look e.g. for "HP Microserver memory").

Associate
Doesn't have to be the exact same - just search for PC3L-12800E

Alternatively you could replace the existing stick with either PC3-12800E, or PC3L-10600E, or PC3-10600E.

PC3 vs PC3L is just normal vs Lower Power ram - you can normally mix and match as Low power modules will just default to normal voltage if another normal voltage module is installed.

10600 vs 12800 is a case of bandwidth, 10600 = 1333Mhz, 12800 = 1600Mhz. In reality there is very little difference in performance, ~5% at most, so it's not worth chasing 12800 if you see a good deal on 10600. In theory you can mix the two speeds as they should just run at the lower speed, but occasionally it can cause issues

As long as the module ends with an E then it is ECC Unbuffered, which is what you will require (and also the same memory that HP Microserver's accept - so you could also look e.g. for "HP Microserver memory").

Cheers for that, will have a look at the bay!

Associate
Anyone know the maximum length video card that can be installed in the T20? I have one brand new in box that's been sitting in my basement for years, and I want to turn it into a cheap gaming system. Looking at a bunch of 75W GTX 1650 video cards and ended up ordering two. One is 7" which I'm pretty sure will work, but the other one is a bit over 8".

Associate
Looking at mine either would fit. It's approx. 10" to the lower drive cage.

Thanks buddy... I ordered the following 75W cards:

ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 OC Edition Graphics Card
MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Ventus XS OC Graphics Card

I'm leaning towards the Asus card because it can run at a higher clock speed, so looking forward to installing that in the T20.

Associate
Looking at mine either would fit. It's approx. 10" to the lower drive cage.

Hey bud... just saw this. Is it safe to say that the manual is not accurate?

ze1RUB.jpg

Associate
Open the box and have a look?

Just an update, I was able to successfully install an Asus TUF Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 OC Edition 4GB GDDR6 in my T20. It was a tight fit, but I slid it underneath the UDIMM slots. The notches on the slots had to be closed though. I also had to remove the bracket that secures the expansion cards on the back of the case, because I couldn't close it after installing the video card. It's poorly designed if you ask me. I ended up using a bunch of screws to secure the video card and the expansion slot covers.

Currently I have the following installed:
- Xeon E3-1225v3 CPU
- 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 MHz CL11 UDIMMs
- 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM SATA HDD
- 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD
- DVD+/-RW SATA Drive
- 290W PSU

Pretty happy I was able to just install the memory, SSD, and video card and not worry about upgrading anything else.

Last edited:
Associate
Revisited the bracket that secures the expansion cards, and that entire plastic piece that secures the bracket to the case is useless. I ended up removing the entire thing, along with that very thin piece of metal that goes over the screw holes (and into the case) for the expansion cards, and then used some muscle to widen the holes a bit so my screws would fit, securing the video card and slot covers. Now I have a small opening in the back of the case where that bracket used to be, but it's minor so I can live with it.

Associate
Anyone have recommendations for an after market CPU cooler? Ideally I want something that will work with the existing Dell CPU cooler mount, so I don't need to pull out the entire motherboard to install it.

I'm making some upgrades to the T20. PSU is getting upgraded to a 650W Seasonic, CPU is being upgraded to a 4790K, video card will potentially be upgraded to GTX 1660 Super or Ti.

Associate
Anyone have recommendations for an after market CPU cooler? Ideally I want something that will work with the existing Dell CPU cooler mount, so I don't need to pull out the entire motherboard to install it.

I'm making some upgrades to the T20. PSU is getting upgraded to a 650W Seasonic, CPU is being upgraded to a 4790K, video card will potentially be upgraded to GTX 1660 Super or Ti.

Have a read around about upgrading boots, before you do. Much of the components are proprietary Dell, and will throw up errors on bit of you change them. I tried swapping out just the rear fan and it wasn't happy.

To be honest, I'm not sure a T20 is the best base for a 4790k. It's a hot case at the best of times.

Associate
Have a read around about upgrading boots, before you do. Much of the components are proprietary Dell, and will throw up errors on bit of you change them. I tried swapping out just the rear fan and it wasn't happy.

To be honest, I'm not sure a T20 is the best base for a 4790k. It's a hot case at the best of times.

That's why I'm upgrading the cooler. Also, I purchased 5 pin to 4 pin fan adapter conversion cables to get around the errors when you install aftermarket fans and coolers. I also bought a similar adapter for the motherboard, so I can install a bigger PSU.

I currently have a GTX 1650 running in it without any issues and it never goes above 60 degrees while gaming. The only issue I run into is that the CPU is a bottleneck. 99% of the time the Xeon and GTX 1650 work well together, just every now and then the gameplay will hiccup for a few seconds, so I'm hoping the 4790K will address that.

Associate

I ordered these for the fans:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PW7X2KC/

I ordered this for the PSU to power the motherboard:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XGWRTHC/

Associate
Just installed the 4790K in my T20 and so far so good. I also upgraded the cooler to the Thermaltake Gravity i2 (link below), which is pretty much the exact same cooler as the one that comes with the T20, it only has an upgraded fan. The cooler even installs directly into the existing Dell cooler mount.

Right now while I'm barely using the system, my idle core temps are between 23-29 degrees celsius. I also used the adapter from my link above to connect the cooler's fan to the motherboard, and that successfully suppressed the error message, or at least I didn't see any error messages pop up during boot up. The only thing I had to do, was enable Hyper-Threading in the BIOS. Going to run some tests to make sure everything works well, but I'm confident I won't run into any issues. BTW, I'm still using the stock 290W PSU.

Thermaltake Gravity i2 95W CPU Cooler
https://www.amazon.ca/Thermaltake-Gravity-CPU-Cooling-CLP0556-D/dp/B00O4UIZ86/

Back
Top Bottom