I just spent over £300 on RAM

Associate
I only wanted one used 16GB DDR4 stick to begin my first build.

I saw a few different types for sale, but I wanted to eventually have 4x16GB of matching sticks so needed a popular one.

I was watching a used pair of 2x16GB with RGB on a well known auction site. The ending bid was the same as full retail price that's sealed with warranty!

I got annoyed and just bought 4 of the same sticks as they were on offer.

I was looking to spend £30 and ended up adding another 0 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My first Core 2 Duo system I spent £600 on RAM - then had regret (and fortunately one of the sticks was DOA) and returned it for cheaper RAM hah.

"£257.99 x 1 - OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8000 Dual Channel Titanium Alpha XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2TA1000VX2GK) (MY-073-OC)"

That was the price without VAT (so £303 each set) and I bought 2 lots - but had to buy from 2 different places as nowhere had more than 1 set in stock :s

Last edited:
Soldato
I spent over £300+ buying 32gb of DDR4 2133Mhz when it was newly released back in 2015 for my i7-5930k /X99 system. Still running it to this day so I don't see it as a bad investment!

Soldato
I got 64GB 3600Mhz DDR 4, on 2 x 32 DIMMS also not to strain the memory controller on a Ryzen CPU.

£260.

I only use it for gaming.

Everyone is like, you don't need 64GB for gaming.

One of the first games I fired up was Cities Skylines, I fired up my modded save and straight in 36GB of memory used........

City is not even that big either lol.

Man of Honour
I got 64GB 3600Mhz DDR 4, on 2 x 32 DIMMS also not to strain the memory controller on a Ryzen CPU.

£260.

I only use it for gaming.

Everyone is like, you don't need 64GB for gaming.

One of the first games I fired up was Cities Skylines, I fired up my modded save and straight in 36GB of memory used........

City is not even that big either lol.
To be fair ultra modded games and skylines in particular are a bit of a niche case :D

Caporegime

I saw a few different types for sale, but I wanted to eventually have 4x16GB of matching sticks so needed a popular one.

I was watching a used pair of 2x16GB with RGB on a well known auction site. The ending bid was the same as full retail price that's sealed with warranty!

I love people like you on ebay. I regularly buy stuff new. Use it for up to 5 years then sell it on ebay for sometimes more than what I paid for it. Recently was a dyson fan. I paid £249.99 for it and sold it for over £300.

Associate
DDR5 will be the de rigeur standard in 6 months time!
No, it won’t.

Good DDR4 will still outpace the newly produced sticks of DDR5.

Give DDR5 time to mature and it will demolish DDR4 but it’ll take some time for the manufacturing process to be improved.

looking at how much ram was purchased for £300, that just says that RAM is still super cheap.

Caporegime

What's the rest of your system? As mentioned above, you may be better off with 2x32GB depending on platform and speeds you're trying to achieve.

Back
Top Bottom