Sharing monitor between 2 PC's

Soldato
Good morning.

I have a "problem" and I was wondering if there was a solution.

I currently am working from home. And in order to fit all the monitors I "need" into my office, I had to "lose" a display from my personal PC.

I usually run a 3 monitor set-up on my personal machine. And 2 monitors for my work PC. But I only have space for 4 monitors in my room.

So for one of my work monitors, I have hooked in both my laptop "hub" thing, and a connection from my personal PC to use it as a third monitor. This works ok. I can change the input on the monitor depending on which PC I am using at the time. Once the end of the working day comes, I can simply power down my work laptop, and have 3 monitors back on my personal rig.

However, the "third" monitor is still "open" in the operating system (Windows 10 Pro). So for example, I surrently have 2 screens open for each system. But some apps I open on my personal rig, open on the "third" screen, meaning I have to switch inputs on that screen, grab the app, and move it over to one of the 2 screens I use for the personal rig, then switch inputs back so I still have 2 screens for my work system.

So, my question is, is there a simple solution where I can effectivley "toggle" a single monitor on and off from software? So I can effectivley disable the third monitor (which may actually be labelled monitor 2 and not 3), such that all the info that was on that monitor will be moved to one of the 2 active monitors for that rig, and just use a 2 monitor setup rather than 3? Then simply toggle it back once myt work day is over.

I can live with my current setup. But it is annoying a little. So, it would be nice to be able to just toggle this third monitor on and off.

Associate
I have very similar setup to yours
And same sort of issue. What I do is go through process of disabling that monitor in personal PC Display Settings in morning and enabling it in evening.
Alternatively could unplug the cable, but that would be too much wear and tear.

Soldato
OP
I have very similar setup to yours
And same sort of issue. What I do is go through process of disabling that monitor in personal PC Display Settings in morning and enabling it in evening.
Alternatively could unplug the cable, but that would be too much wear and tear.

OK. Took me a minute to find how to do that, ha ha. That seems to work just now. A more elegant solution would be nice, but this will do for now, ha ha. Thanks.

At least when I open an app now, I can see it, and don't have to go about switching sources and things.

Back
Top Bottom