• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5000 Series Undervolting

Associate
Still running my 5800x same settings since January, stock was way too hot.
Current settings, 4.6ghz locked all core at 1.25v. Very cool quiet and simple, PBO and other stuff turned off. Curve optimizer too much effort for me :D

Soldato
OP
I have been struggling with this like made.

My 5900X had my 2 best cores running on -20, everything else on -15.
200Mhz boost,
and Limits - motherboard.

I am almost at my wits end on getting this stable at low loads.
I also don't know enough about getting everything else set right as i'm not even sure what it is!

MSI x570 Tomohawk, Anyone have any advice

I have tried removing the boost but as soon as I use CO, I get the WHEA error almost without failure on low loads.

All chips are different and it’s about finding the cpu sweet spot. Have you tried disabling PBO limits and using CO settings?

Soldato
OP
Still running my 5800x same settings since January, stock was way too hot.
Current settings, 4.6ghz locked all core at 1.25v. Very cool quiet and simple, PBO and other stuff turned off. Curve optimizer too much effort for me :D
Trying a CO with an all core offset of -5 is pretty simple. Just nudge the setting every few days if it’s stable. I don’t think it can get any simpler.

Associate
It's still way hotter and spikes to 1.4v

It's because curve optimiser is naff. It's sold as an 'undervolt', but in reality it's just a plain overclock. When the CPU boosts it will request ~1.45v and set whatever the maximum frequency it can, up to the boost limit. For most CPUs, they can't sustain the boost limit (they spike to it briefly, but not sustain). So curve optimiser results in a net frequency increase, but no voltage reduction. IMHO, that's not an undervolt.

On a 5950X I observe CPU temps that are 8C higher with curve optimiser at -20/-30 vs when it's disabled (but PBO still enabled). CPU power is +25-30 watts higher with CO on. I just use fixed overclocks myself too now. Seeing some good results with 4575 MHz at 1.175 V and CPU temps are pretty nice indeed :)

Associate
Waiting on my 5950x, I have all this fun to come.

My current 3800x has been heating my room for sometime so I’m looking forward to the new system for a chance to get things cooler this time around.

Expect the 3800x will go in my sons 1700x system. He already has the system to support it, just dropped my old chip in there over a year ago.

Soldato
OP
It's because curve optimiser is naff. It's sold as an 'undervolt', but in reality it's just a plain overclock. When the CPU boosts it will request ~1.45v and set whatever the maximum frequency it can, up to the boost limit. For most CPUs, they can't sustain the boost limit (they spike to it briefly, but not sustain). So curve optimiser results in a net frequency increase, but no voltage reduction. IMHO, that's not an undervolt.

On a 5950X I observe CPU temps that are 8C higher with curve optimiser at -20/-30 vs when it's disabled (but PBO still enabled). CPU power is +25-30 watts higher with CO on. I just use fixed overclocks myself too now. Seeing some good results with 4575 MHz at 1.175 V and CPU temps are pretty nice indeed :)
There is a lookup table just like the VID that gives you a per core voltage for a given frequency. The voltage supplied at a specific frequency is offset by the value. This is an undervolt. You can boost higher because less heat is generated for a given frequency.

It’s definitely not Naff.

Soldato
OP
It's still way hotter and spikes to 1.4v
Have you tried using a negative offset, this is not CO?
That's better than a fixed voltage because you get the benefit of reduced voltage a low frequencies which should run cooler and use less power. Just adjust the negative offset to give you a 1.25V load voltage. You might have to throw a bit of LLC love in there but should be easy. You certainly have some options if you don't mind playing with a few settings. This is old school Intel stuff.

Soldato
Thanks Asgard.

Just added a negative .10 offset and LLC level 2.
After 20 mins of prime large FFt's HWInfo reports:
cpu core vid voltage average: 1.315 (I believe this is a made up number from intel overclocking - I'm new to hwinfo)
cpu core voltage(SVI2...) average 1.316 (I think this figure is the closest to actual voltage-could be wrong)
Average of 4760+ Mhz on all cores.

Aida reports similar voltages but Ryzen Master is showing 1.41 volts.
Cinebench shows a similar MT of 22045, ST is down a little at 1590 - might try to increase clocks a little.

Couple of questions, I have near to your levels of power saving, -30 co all cores and -1.0 offset yet my voltages are significantly higher and Ryzen Master shows dangerously high MT voltages, does this look safe to you or is something amiss.

My B450 Tomahawk Max should be similar to yours, would I see any benefits from moving my LLC to 5 from 2 if 2 is stable and would 5 increase the voltage or lower it under load?

Once again thanks for the help, coming from intel oc'ing, AMD seems pretty alien when starting out (voltages e.t.c.)

edit: Also to increase clocks, is it the cpu boost clock override in Bios? It is set to auto at the moment
Are you still using these settings on the B450 Tomahawk with the 5900X? I've got the same kit but it's been a long time since I ventured into doing this sort of stuff so any help appreciated.

Associate
Are you still using these settings on the B450 Tomahawk with the 5900X? I've got the same kit but it's been a long time since I ventured into doing this sort of stuff so any help appreciated.
No sorry bud, mb got sprayed with fan bearing oil so has been replaced with a different make and model, found that the tomahawk max b450 fed more power to the CPU than my new one as well.
I enabled advanced PBO, set PBO limits to disabled. I think I ended up setting a negative co of -20 on two best cores (as shown in Ryzen master), --15 on next two and -10 on the rest to get it stable.
I removed my negative voltage as what I gained in multi threaded performance I lost in single thread so left LLC stock.

Associate
Set up my fan curves last night, just popped +200 on PBO and -5 all cores, looking good so far, around 5% single 1-2% multi increase in Cinebench R23 at same temps.. will leave it how it is for a day or two and then try -10

BPKPKKF.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Finally got around to doing my CO, managed -20, -15, -15, -30 -30 -30 with no boost, well worth it for a 5% performance hit as PC now runs cool and quiet when gaming :D

Total package power with PBO at 200 was 113W, Cores 79.9W !

Xcr7nAf.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Had a crack at this last night, 5600X PBO on +200Mhz, CO all cores set to -10, PPT = 76, TDC = 60, EDC = 90, seems to run perfectly well in stress test all cores pegged at 4760Mhz, CPU temp reached 70°C and levelled out (single core hit 4850Mhz). Nice little bump in performance without anything getting to toasty. Almost too easy, unless I'm missing something.

Back
Top Bottom