Show us your kitty cats

Soldato
Need some help. My 5 year old daughter loves cats (like most 5 year olds I expect). Since she was 3 she's been obsessed with cats and is constantly asking me for a pet cat. I've never had any animals other than fish. I get hayfever and dust allergies during hayfever season but not sure if I would be allergic to a cat. I'm not adverse to getting her one but it's new territory for me as the only experience I have of cats is of them doing their business in my garden (which I hope would stop if I got one). I personally don't want more responsibility but would take it on to make her happy. Where can I find reliable info on how much a cat costs to look after and what important factors do I need to take into consideration?

Soldato
I don't have a cat...

2hZC3XSh.jpg

2hZC3XSh.jpg

qxtW4V5h.jpg

Soldato
Need some help. My 5 year old daughter loves cats (like most 5 year olds I expect). Since she was 3 she's been obsessed with cats and is constantly asking me for a pet cat. I've never had any animals other than fish. I get hayfever and dust allergies during hayfever season but not sure if I would be allergic to a cat. I'm not adverse to getting her one but it's new territory for me as the only experience I have of cats is of them doing their business in my garden (which I hope would stop if I got one). I personally don't want more responsibility but would take it on to make her happy. Where can I find reliable info on how much a cat costs to look after and what important factors do I need to take into consideration?
Go to your local rescue centre and you will get all the information you want or need.
As for costs, you will obviously have food cat litter and monthly flea treatment to pay for, toys perhaps but they usually find stuff they like to play with. Cannot think of much else except a scratch post or two. Like anything pets can be as expensive as you want them to be. I seen folks spend a fortune on a bed only for the cat to prefer the box it came in.

Man of Honour
Sadly my oldest and first cat Jade has a serious problem. She is 15 years old and is a rescue cat we took on when she was 18 months old. Recently she has been off her food which is very unusual for her as she is normally a gannet. She cries for food but barely touches it yet will eat her treats. I took her to the vets on Monday who examined her and took some bloods for testing. The tests came back clear on her liver and kidneys which was what I was fearing after going through the agony of losing Garfield last December. What she did find though was that her protein levels were low and she wants to find out why so she is booked in tomorrow to be put under and have scans and X-rays taken as well as a thorough look at her teeth (she was most uncooperative on Monday). In the meantime she has hardly had a thing to eat the past couple of days so I am braced for some very bad news tomorrow. I hate feeling so useless and unable to do anything for her.

GMKEcSU.jpg

Man of Honour
There is a local cat who is so friendly she ambushes almost everyone who walks past for a stroke. I did have a chuckle as I drove past and say a teenage girl just sitting in the middle of the pavement browsing her phone... with this cat sitting on her lap.

Soldato
Had to put ours down the other week. He'd gone off his food and not drinking. Rushed to emergency vets and they said his water works were blocked, could fix the immediate issue for £1,500 but then extra to investigate what the cause was. Plus a high chance it will happen again.
So sad to see him go even worse that the wife had to go alone.

Then the kicker the vet wrote down our request wrong so he's been disposed of rather than cremated with his ashes returned. Wife is on with a complaint. I'd have gone down and kicked off but wasn't allowed.
So yeah sad times.

Soldato
Sorry to hear about your cat Robj20 - It's the only downside of having pets.

Finally got a good picture of Ronnie - It might be a bit big though.
We were sitting in the sun and he came up onto the garden chair and lay on under shelf with his paws on my leg.
Just got to work out how to resize. -
This was on my phone so sent it by email to PC then dragged it to Imgur - there has to be a easier way. I still can't work out how to put it in a spoiler

QPDD1oK.jpg

Caporegime
Had to put ours down the other week. He'd gone off his food and not drinking. Rushed to emergency vets and they said his water works were blocked, could fix the immediate issue for £1,500 but then extra to investigate what the cause was. Plus a high chance it will happen again.
So sad to see him go even worse that the wife had to go alone.

Then the kicker the vet wrote down our request wrong so he's been disposed of rather than cremated with his ashes returned. Wife is on with a complaint. I'd have gone down and kicked off but wasn't allowed.
So yeah sad times.

That's awful, poor kittyman.

Brought our kitten home last night, already falling asleep on my lap and being a general nuisance :D

Soldato
Told the wife I don't want another, heartbreaking when your pet goes.
I just really don't we'd get another anywhere near like him was so perfect with his character. Loved our company, was great with the children, came when you called his name.

Soldato
Rob
Time will heal - We lost at least 7 cats at our old house due to illness -road and field accidents and old age and kidney failure.
We moved twice and we had another cat - we lost her a few years ago and now have Ronnie who adopted us.
We just pray each day that nothing happens to him because he will be our last cat - we are too old for anymore grief.
You will find that each cat has it's own personality -you never get two the same.

Man of Honour
Jade went in for her scans today and it's not good. It's her kidneys. The vet says she has one that is very enlarged and it looks like the other has been doing all the work up until now. She said there is a slight chance it's a infection so gave her a strong antibiotic that lasts for two weeks but she really thinks it's a growth and that we should make the most of the next few days with her. If we can't get her to eat by her next appointment on Monday then I have to make another terrible decision. The thing is, she is mostly her normal self doing her normal things, just not eating. I am not going to let her just waste away and keep her going just for the sake of it. She has to have a good quality of life so at the end of the day I will have to make a choice based on the best thing to do for her. I love her to bits but I am not going to stand by and have her suffer so come Monday if she still isn't eating there is really only one choice to make although it's going to break my heart again to do it.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom