Durable clear soft tubing

Associate
I redid my loop to swap in new motherboard/CPU to find the EK-Duraclear tubing isn't any more (clear that is).

This is an unused leftover piece and a piece removed from the loop:

Kind of disappointing after just 1 month of use. With the Mystic Fog fluid back in the rebuilt loop it doesn't look so bad. But I was going to just use clear fluid next time. Which would probably show the yellowing more obviously.

Is this pretty much normal for clear soft tubing or is there somebody who makes something longer lasting?

Or should I just shrug, give EK some more money and switch to ZMT?

Associate
mayhems ultra clear tubing is great. been using it for 1 year in my current loop and it has retained 90% of its clarity. however zmt has no plasticiser and is rubber. so no dye staining or leeching ;)

Soldato
Certain tubing doesn't like certain coloured fluids and has a adverse effect like you've seen there. The only tubing I've used that didn't discolour quickly is Mayhems.

Associate
Mayhems is great.
But the main issue is the coolant, most of the time.
With Mayhems coolant, the coloured ones, the tubing suffered. I, at least my perception, noticed that the Mayhems coolant somehow creates a film around the tubing and blocks. Like an oil/grease.
The EK, at least the solid white, was more like water in consistency and even during draining, not much stays in the tubing.
But if you don't want to worry again, go ZMT. Just watch for the bends, as the tubing can put some stress on the blocks if the angle is too sharp, and flush it, as quite often there's quite some dust/powder residue in it.

Soldato
I mean... Plenty of black things discolour to grey or purple :D I've got a black hoody except if you compare the inside to the outside, it's faded to a fetching indigo!

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the recommendations.

Not sure using ZMT would transform my efforts into the nicely done builds of @clone and @MikeTimbers but they certainly do look good and that's kind of where I'm leaning.

Probably won't need to redo it too soon so I can spend more time looking at other peoples builds to try and decide.

Unless there's a sudden crash in GPU prices ... :cry:

Soldato
Just be aware with the ZMT that often it's not actually the indicated OD, and can be a bit of a git to get collars on. Tygon A-60-G is amazing if you can find it.

Back
Top Bottom