• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3dfx making a comeback, 4th GPU player in the market?

Associate
While I fully expect this is a badly done troll there is a very tiny chance its real and they are just buying cheap products and rebranding with 3DFX with the hopes of making easy money. Some generic cheap Android phone with a 3DFX label.

The 3DFX VSA-100 chips area easy to make and cheap to buy in bulk. People have brought them and recreated a 3DFX Voodoo 6000 for PCI slots. Compared to making an entirely new GPU this is relatively easy and they could just be re-creating the never released 6000 to sell. In which case the Voodoo6 PCI reference makes sense and they can just re use the same BIOSes, same drivers, same bugs as the Voodoo 5. Although more likely its one poorly thought out troll, I am just saying its more feasible then it looks like at first glance. This would also explain the 3 month turn around.

I guess the audience will largerly overlap with that of the freedom phone then...

Soldato
In which case the Voodoo6 PCI reference makes sense

no it doesnt PCI slots were dropped from motherboards ages ago. Its complete rubbish. The big Thursday announcement was complete BS. If it was a Voodoo 6 on a PCIE bus that had speeds of around a 3060/3070 then it would be interesting but its all fake fake fake.

The predicted growth slide just shows you its complete fake. 900,000 customers by Q4 21/Q1 22 so if their products are still in development how are they going to sell 900,000 items by end of this year ?

also their email address. @arcticmail.com

This site can’t be reached
arcticmail.com took too long to respond.

Domain Name: ARCTICMAIL.COM
Registry Domain ID: 3082538_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.register.com
Registrar URL: http://www.register.com
Updated Date: 2020-08-07T07:02:36Z
Creation Date: 1996-08-07T04:00:00Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2021-08-06T04:00:00Z

note the expiry date

Registrant:
  • Name: ATTN Domain Inquiries
  • Organization: World Media Group
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Whois Server: whois.register.com
  • Phone: +1.9089982344
  • Mailing Address: 90 Washington Valley Rd. #1128, Bedminster, NJ, 07921, US

Looks like its some media person doing a project.

FAKE FAKE FAKE

Last edited:
Soldato
Later I also got a Voodoo Banshee 16MB and a Voodoo 3 3000 16MB, so it was all 3Dfx cards for me in the first years of owning a PC.

Aye, had a Voodoo (1) paired with an ATi Rage 128, then later a Voodoo Banshee, so 3dfx were my first experience of an actual gaming card. If they do come back to market, I hope they're good because I sort of want one on nostalgia grounds!

Also, now I need to figure out how to run Mechwarrior 2 again :D

V F

V F

Soldato
Only thing I can think of 24th August is anniversary of 3DFX but its 27 years. Maybe the person miscalculated and thought it was 25 !

With the mistakes in some of these photoshops, I'm not surprised. But still, isn't there something better to do than troll?

Soldato
They didnt actually do the images they nicked them off a guy from Hungary who created them or altered them himself from 2018 I think or it might have been 2015. I was looking at the originals yesterday its on a forum you can find if you search. Apparently the pictures of box art that were put up and quickly got took down was because the actual person who took the picture told the 3dfx twitter guy to take them down.

If its genuine why would someone pinch the pictures from somewhere else ?

Soldato
no it doesnt PCI slots were dropped from motherboards ages ago. Its complete rubbish. The big Thursday announcement was complete BS. If it was a Voodoo 6 on a PCIE bus that had speeds of around a 3060/3070 then it would be interesting but its all fake fake fake.

The predicted growth slide just shows you its complete fake. 900,000 customers by Q4 21/Q1 22 so if their products are still in development how are they going to sell 900,000 items by end of this year ?

also their email address. @arcticmail.com

note the expiry date

Looks like its some media person doing a project.

FAKE FAKE FAKE
Its not complete rubbish as I expect the main people who would be interested in buying a V6000 are those that are into retro gaming and retro gaming box's tend to have PCI slots. As I said before I fully expect it to be fake/trolling but it is more feasible then most people think. If someone really wanted to bring a V6000 to market in a short time frame then it is doable and if they did that PCI would be the way to go. The hard bits like bios, drivers, design of the VSA chips and manufacture of the VSA chips are already done and good to go.

As for 900k if this wasn't fake that that's not 900k GPU's but all the other cheap 3DFX Chinese mass produced rebranded rubbish. Generic Bluetooth speaker with 3DFX sticker on for example. There is a tiny chance this is real and they are armatures overestimating 3DFX Nostalgia. This is far more likely to be fake but it could be a bunch of armature trying to do it for real.

Soldato
Its not complete rubbish as I expect the main people who would be interested in buying a V6000 are those that are into retro gaming and retro gaming box's tend to have PCI slots. As I said before I fully expect it to be fake/trolling but it is more feasible then most people think. If someone really wanted to bring a V6000 to market in a short time frame then it is doable and if they did that PCI would be the way to go. The hard bits like bios, drivers, design of the VSA chips and manufacture of the VSA chips are already done and good to go.

As for 900k if this wasn't fake that that's not 900k GPU's but all the other cheap 3DFX Chinese mass produced rebranded rubbish. Generic Bluetooth speaker with 3DFX sticker on for example. There is a tiny chance this is real and they are armatures overestimating 3DFX Nostalgia. This is far more likely to be fake but it could be a bunch of armature trying to do it for real.

The V6000 was suggested by nostalgia there is nothing tangible about it. Any mass produced ones would be known about by now its the PCB's thats the issue not the components according to the guy who made the PCB said he had a lot of issues making it and there are one or two components on there were difficult to source.

There is no cheap 3DFX chinese mass produced rebranded rubbish I never said 900,000 GPU's either it doesnt exist.

Yep it is complete rubbish and fake. The only truth in it is threads like this discussing it these are far more real than the fake 3dfx company. Even the email address is fake. It just seems the person behind it is actually achieving their goals - a media exercise probably towards someones degree or Uni course.

Soldato
rickroll-icegif-8.gif

4whwu5.gif

:cry:

Caporegime
If true they would probably make more money just re-releasing their old video cards, those things go for a small fortune on Ebay as they're probably the best DOS-Windows 98 era cards available. Lets face they're never going to be able to compete with NVidia or AMD.

Associate
Wouldn't shock me if they splashed a load of marketing around for a couple of months, and then said "actually we can't make the graphics card after all due to patents, but don't worry because we've got a whole range of exciting products to launch", and it's just another brand name to be slapped on some crappy knock-off bluetooth speakers and cheapo Android phones.

Associate
Wouldn't shock me if they splashed a load of marketing around for a couple of months, and then said "actually we can't make the graphics card after all due to patents, but don't worry because we've got a whole range of exciting products to launch", and it's just another brand name to be slapped on some crappy knock-off bluetooth speakers and cheapo Android phones.

If that works I swear I'm going to take a flight to Canada and talk Matrox into getting back to make consumer products, it will be 1997 again!
You have to admit, this would work better for trolling:

wjTRh4VQIeFg89g65Qxhf8HBMDa3xN5gL5uj9pdl8VqV6xyFcFTym1mRhkUMVl9nU4isQEVLyeVPGdwvbNPR_XFyKA47HBistaeWx7vyFBo6DDN-s3HDoUWaYZzfsg9n

Back
Top Bottom