This is why I hate football

Soldato
Just watching the liverpool / villa game on tv now.

That penalty decision was a joke, on the replay the villa man quite clearly starts to fall before getting anywhere near the liverpool fella (can you tell I don't know any names hehe). This is after he boots it out of play without a chance in hell of getting to it.

Seeing this kind of cheating just makes me angry at the game. Why can nobody play it properly? Everyone just tries to con the ref!!!

Personally I'm a rugby and cricket man (private education) but used to play football for th local club for many years so I'm not totally clueless. You don't see trickery and cheating in cricket or rugby like you do in footy. These sports are playing by men who don't moan like little girls all the time, those who take pain with a pinch of salt and wont eat the ref when a decision goes against them :rolleyes:

Arnie

PAz

PAz

Soldato
i used to worship football until i started playing rugby :) i still love football to bits, and follow arsenal through it all aswell as still playing, but after getting more into rugby you realise just what a bunch of idiots footballers really are...cheating, whining little money grabbing wimps..

Soldato
Whereas in rugby, it's ok to grab the opponents testicles, put your finger up his rear end, punch him, tread on him etc.

In cricket, the players no longer walk when they know damn well they've nicked an edge.

Every sport has their downsides, football's just the most popular on the planet and every little thing is hyped up.

People whining about the amount of money footballers make is also extremely tiresome now, don't you think rugby players, cricketers or any other sportsman would take the money if it's offered, wake up everyone.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Big Kev
Whereas in rugby, it's ok to grab the opponents testicles, put your finger up his rear end, punch him, tread on him etc.

In cricket, the players no longer walk when they know damn well they've nicked an edge.

Every sport has their downsides, football's just the most popular on the planet and every little thing is hyped up.

People whining about the amount of money footballers make is also extremely tiresome now, don't you think rugby players, cricketers or any other sportsman would take the money if it's offered, wake up everyone.
Point taken but it is in my opinion that football is on a completely different level wih regards to cheating / whining / corruption

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by wohoo
The problem was that actually was a stone cold pen, and thats coming from a scouser
There was no doubt the challenge was wreckless but the players always look for it, thats the problem. They don't want to score goals the real way, they'll just look to go down all the time, he could have EASILY avoided his leg in the challenge.

I'm just trying to get across the poor attitude of all footy players.

Rivaldo world cup going down holding his face ;) ;)

Associate
Ey up arnie! ;)

Any game RvN is in. He dives far too much.

The problem is cricketers and rugby players barely get any wages compared to Premiership footballers and yet they feel they have to cheat more.

Football is a gentleman's game played by thugs,
Rugby is a thugs game played by gentlemen.

:p

Hinchy Jnr

Soldato
OP
Was wondering how long it would take you to get in here. :p

You really don't like RvN do you, saw your thread also but avoided it like the plague as your brother has made numerous posts on that topic :rolleyes: ;)

Arnie

Soldato
Originally posted by [ASSE]Arnie01
There was no doubt the challenge was wreckless but the players always look for it, thats the problem. They don't want to score goals the real way, they'll just look to go down all the time, he could have EASILY avoided his leg in the challenge.

I'm just trying to get across the poor attitude of all footy players.

Rivaldo world cup going down holding his face ;) ;)

I would agree, but it was a penalty.

The one thing that i think too few people pick up on, the strikers are given no help what so ever by the referees. If that had been more in the centre of goal, and Barry rode the challenge, and then failed to score because he stumbled over. That is a penalty but there are so many referees that would not give it.

Sometimes players do cheat, but because the referees hardly ever award a penalty when a player thries to be honest and stay on their feet, but just can't physically do it, because of the challenge. They know that they will get the penalty more often than not if they go down like a sack of spuds, whereas if they stay on their feet, they might score, but if they can't because of the challengs and stumble over 2 yards after the challenge, 9 times out of 10 they will NOT get hte penalty.

To me that is why players go down so very easily, it is the best way to guarnetee a decision that will result in a goal, whereas honesty may occasionally get you a goal or a penalty, it often goes un noticed.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Hinchy55

Football is a gentleman's game played by thugs,
Rugby is a thugs game played by gentlemen.

Worst quote ever used. Fact.

How many gentleman do you know would, as Kev rightly said, use these tactics:

"grab the opponents testicles, put your finger up his rear end, punch him, tread on him etc."

These are used every game, every scrum, every maul and every contact with the opposition.

There's no gentlemen within rugby. Even at the top level. And I know this cos I used to follow and play rugby. Football is far superior, hence is the bigger sport.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
ive never had a finger poked up my back side before...

people get punched yes, people get troden on yes...so? its a very physical game and its bound to happen, if someone is offside in a maul then you can use whatever means neccessary to get them away.

but then theres the difference aswell, you see martin johnson get troden on and he gets back up and starts geting back into the action, the same happens to david beckham for example and hes lying around squirming like a little girl.

Soldato
Originally posted by PAz

but then theres the difference aswell, you see martin johnson get troden on and he gets back up and starts geting back into the action, the same happens to david beckham for example and hes lying around squirming like a little girl.

Then again, Beckham can go home in his 100k sports car, to his £????m house to his multi millionaire wife, eat the best food money can buy, watch the tv on the most expensive tv money can buy, so who's the mug then, posh spice part excepted.;)

The only reason footballers act like this is because they can get away with it, rugby players can't and have to get on with the game.

Associate
Originally posted by Gilly
Worst quote ever used. Fact.

How many gentleman do you know would, as Kev rightly said, use these tactics:

"grab the opponents testicles, put your finger up his rear end, punch him, tread on him etc."

These are used every game, every scrum, every maul and every contact with the opposition.

There's no gentlemen within rugby.

that is one of the most ignorant and incorrect things i've ever heard anyone say on these forums, well done. :)

Soldato
Originally posted by tom_w
that is one of the most ignorant and incorrect things i've ever heard anyone say on these forums, well done. :)

I dont think it is, rugby is surrounded by this myth that actually, its controlled violence and the players all act within a strict code of conduct and behave with honour, like mondern day Knights of the realm...............................

Thats pap, you run at each other, get as many sly punches in on someones ribs when their on the ground, jab your knees in to peoples faces in a scrum, pull his ears, spit, in fact use any foul and underhand means you can to wear down the other players stamina.
There is no subtle tactics, no wise old general sat in his office deciding what to do in the match the day after.
a load of guys stand in a line, and a load of other guys run at you, the side who is physically bigger- wins.

There is so much money, and so much of peoples lives dominated by football, that the players will and SHOULD do everything they can to ensure they win.
Just like................rugby players do, but at least there is no pretence surrounding football, Ruud dives, if he doesnt really have the ball under controll and hes not really got a clear shot, he'll go down under a challenge, same as a lot of other strikers.
Hypia yesterday took the man and not the ball, it was a late challenge, dispite the fact that the villa player looked to you not to have a clear opertunity to score is irrelevant, ive seen goals scored from tighter angles than that so it is an opertunity to score that has been denied villa.

Soldato
I remember RvN in a european game being challenged by Sasa Ilic, who yes had his foot a bit high, but RvN writhed on the floor until the keeper was sent off, promptly got up and scored the penalty. That is cheating.

If a player goes down after an opponant has challenged but missed the ball and made contact with him, he's a fool to not go down in the box, unless he is totally certain he's going to score.

my 2p

Associate
Originally posted by [ASSE]Arnie01
Just watching the liverpool / villa game on tv now.

That penalty decision was a joke, on the replay the villa man quite clearly starts to fall before getting anywhere near the liverpool fella (can you tell I don't know any names hehe). This is after he boots it out of play without a chance in hell of getting to it.

Seeing this kind of cheating just makes me angry at the game. Why can nobody play it properly? Everyone just tries to con the ref!!!

Personally I'm a rugby and cricket man (private education) but used to play football for th local club for many years so I'm not totally clueless. You don't see trickery and cheating in cricket or rugby like you do in footy. These sports are playing by men who don't moan like little girls all the time, those who take pain with a pinch of salt and wont eat the ref when a decision goes against them :rolleyes:

Arnie

There's never been any match fixing and ball tampering in Cricket then :D

Associate
Originally posted by atpbx
I dont think it is, rugby is surrounded by this myth that actually, its controlled violence and the players all act within a strict code of conduct and behave with honour, like mondern day Knights of the realm...............................

Thats pap, you run at each other, get as many sly punches in on someones ribs when their on the ground, jab your knees in to peoples faces in a scrum, pull his ears, spit, in fact use any foul and underhand means you can to wear down the other players stamina.
There is no subtle tactics, no wise old general sat in his office deciding what to do in the match the day after.
a load of guys stand in a line, and a load of other guys run at you, the side who is physically bigger- wins.

LOL! :)

there's no point even trying to reason with you if that's your preconceived view of the sport :)

Soldato
Arnie, i havent read all this thread but i saw the challenge it was the most blatent penalty u will possibly ever see. Hyypia completely missed and took the guy out. Yes the guy was looking for a pen but that doesnt make the fact he was fouled incorrect, how do u feel about the baros pen at highbury again blatently looking for it but no doubt campbell fouled him

like kev said the whole money thing is getting old now, wouldnt u try to get higher wages in ur job if u could?

DirtyBerty

D

DirtyBerty

Originally posted by Jazz
Arnie, i havent read all this thread but i saw the challenge it was the most blatent penalty u will possibly ever see.

no it wasn't. ;)

yes hyypia slid in and missed the ball, but any attacker in the planet (infact add my grandad to that bless him) could have rode his tackle and whipped a ball into the danger area.. but why bother when he can just act like he's had a sudden dose of paralysis and fall to the ground? RVN sickens me he's always doing it.

imo they should have a 2nd ref watching the game with direct communication to the ref on pitch, I don't like how some of todays games rely more on the refs mood than the performance of the teams, some refs also need to stop bottling it with penalty claims just to avoid possible controversy, oh and they need to stop being stubbarn too and admit after games they made mistakes rather than standing by ridiculous decisions.

Back
Top Bottom