First results from Folding@Home cancer project published

Soldato
From the Folding@Home news page:

First results from Folding@Home cancer project published. We have been studying the p53 tumor surpressor and our first results on p53 have recently been published. To our knowledge, this is the first peer-reviewed results from a distributed computing project related to cancer. Thanks to the continued support of FAH donors, this is will be just the first of many cancer related works that will come from FAH.

The nature of our results can best be described in our paper. However, here's a brief summary of our results. Roughly half of all known cancers result from mutations in p53. Our first work in the cancer area examines the tetramerization domain of p53. We predict how p53 folds and in doing so, we can predict which amino acid mutations would be relevant. When compared with experiments, our predictions have appeared to agree with experiment and give a new interpretation to existing data.
The paper is now available for free download in pdf format from the papers section. It's a bit heavy for my feeble brain at this time on a sunday night but maybe some of you would find it interesting :)

Soldato
Originally posted by rich99million
I never doubted it for a second :D :p

it sure is nice to have regular progress updates - this is the 19th paper that the Pandegroup have released, however this one definately has a lot of impact

I never doubted it either. It is good to know that it is indeed valid.

Still like searching for little green men though :p

Dunc

Back
Top Bottom