Team OcUK - we need your spare CPU cycles

Man of Honour
Before anyone starts moaning, this is not just another SETI@home pimping thread. However, if you disagree strongly with Distributed Computing in general, now's the time to hit your 'Back' button. You have been forewarned - no rants please.

Some of our most popular DC projects seem to be taking a downward turn in participation recently, so it's time to see if anyone new would like to take part. Here's a bit of an introduction to what we 'do'.

These are our current most popular distributed computing projects:

SETI@home (BOINC) - Astronomy. The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. Yes, it's still here, but it's undergone a major revamp in the last 9 months.

Einstein@home - Astronomy. Help search for pulsars (spinning neutron stars).

climateprediction.net - Climateology. Help improve the accuracy of the models used to predict earth climate. Is global warming real, and how bad can it get?

folding@home - Medical research. Help understand how 'protein folding' works, and how the process can malfunction (leading to the likes of Alzheimers, Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, and many others).

Predictor@home - Medical research. Alternative project with similar goals to folding@home.

Tiny KeyCounter - Just a bit of fun. Not technically a distributed computing project, but fun all the same.

We also have teams in the following, which are less popular, or may be winding down or starting up:

SETI@home (Classic) - Astronomy. Team OcUK's original project. Now nearing the end of the line, and may be shut down within a few months.

LHC@home - Physics/Chemistry. Help determine the operating parameters for the Large Hadron Collider (CERN's next big 'atom smasher'). Currently in testing prior to re-launch.

Big Ugly Rendering Project (BURP) - Animation. Intended to become a giant graphics rendering farm. Just starting out.

Project Dolphin - more fun. Another TKC-like project.

grid.org (UD) - Medical research. Similar to folding/predictor, but run solely for the benefit of the pharmaceutical giants, rather than medical science as a whole.

find-a-drug - Medical research. Help search for treatments to Cancer, CJD, HIV, Malaria, and others. Potentially more immediate results than the likes of folding/predictor.

If you've found something you like, then you may have a few questions:

How do I get started? Best thing to do is to stop by the Distributed Computing forum. Lots of helpful advice and people willing to help with any problems with the main projects (the less popular ones do have less coverage).

Will these break my computer? Provided your computer is well built and maintained, you should have no problems. There are no guarantees of course, but I've been running project since 1999, with very little hardware trouble. In fact, the most common time for electronic components to fail is when switched on, which you'll be doing less of, right. ;)

Will these cause my computer to slow down? There are too many variables to give a definitive answer to this, so the only reasonable answer is 'maybe'. In the majority of cases with computers built over the last few years, the impact will generally be negligable.

What will this do to my electricity bill? Running a computer under load uses slightly more electricity than running at idle, but it's not a huge difference. If you leave your computer on all the time anyway, then you'll probably not notice any difference. You don't have to leave your computer on all the time while participating in a project, but it is recommended. Beware that suggesting turning off hardware is considered a sin in the DC forum (I'll do my pennance later :))

I've just covered the basics here, for more detail, visit the Distributed Computing forum.

You may also like to know that a forum competition involving some of these projects is being run over the bank holiday weekend. Act quickly! :D

Now, just a final reminder to those who would start complaining about this thread or these projects. Please don't start complaining about this thread or ranting about how pointless you feel a particular project is. If you don't agree with a project, don't participate. It's your choice.

Man of Honour
Aha, pimpage time :D

Now you see, it's not just fuddy-duddy alien rubbish, there's a good mixture of other fuddy-duddy and not-so fuddy-duddy stuff in there:cool:

Come on everyone, help get OcUK where they belong, just give minutes to set all this up!

Even less for the wonderful TKC, and hey, OcUK are gunning for the top 5 :)

See the link in my siggy, and go here for the biggest thread ever in the DC forum :eek:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17307743&page=1&pp=60

Soldato
sr4470 said:
I'd like to help, but my rigs are already doing F@H for another team. I may switch one over though ;)
the F@H team is about 2 weeks from getting back into the top100 where it deserves to be, all help is greatly appreciated and will make a very real difference (at least to the team scoring anyway) :)

oh and you can get a nifty stats siggy like the one i'm currently sporting - courtesy of mister garp

Associate
i just signed up for BURP, but it keeps saying there is no work and it is deferring communication, it hasnt even downloaded the software for it.

nick

Soldato
What I don't understand is why EVERYONE doesn't do the medical one and why SETI is more popular when the medical one is an infinitely more worthwhile cause surely?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Berserker said:
You don't have to leave your computer on all the time while participating in a project

I never thought I'd see the day :eek:

Seriously though, Berserker's right it dosen't cost a thing (or at least, very little) and it's great fun.

You will find all of the regulars in the DC Forum to be helpful and friendly (possibly a little deranged, but that isn't a prerequisite ;) ).

At least have a look, if you decide it's not for you, then fair enough. If you decide it is for you, you will have great fun and there will always be experienced people there to lend a helping hand, should you need it.

Stan :)

Man of Honour
OP
kicks66 said:
i just signed up for BURP, but it keeps saying there is no work and it is deferring communication, it hasnt even downloaded the software for it.
It's very early days for BURP - I did say it was just starting out. Some work does seem to appear occasionally, but it's more a long-term thing (for now).

Carzy said:
What I don't understand is why EVERYONE doesn't do the medical one and why SETI is more popular when the medical one is an infinitely more worthwhile cause surely?
Very simple answer there. SETI@home tends to interest the sci-fi fans, and the geeks. Let's face it, we have more than our fair share of both around here. :)

Associate
Carzy said:
Because when we make contact with the aliens, they'll share all their medical technology with us. :p

Seriously though, a lot of people (including myself) feel this is a worthy cause to donate our CPU cycles to. Just imagine the implications of discovering once and for all that we're not alone in the Universe. It has the potential to change everything.

Caporegime
Carzy said:

A lot of folks have concerns about their CPU time being used to profit a big pharmaceutical.

Soldato
F@H only uses idle CPU time, and you can set it to less than 100% if you wish. That way your cpu isnt always at 100% load. I.e. if you watch a video and that uses 4% cpu, F@H will use the remaining 96% by default, unless you configure it otherwise.

Man of Honour
OP
Should be minimal impact, as they're intended to use 'spare' cycles that. The usual provisos apply - such as enough RAM. If you have to, they're just programs like any other, so can be stopped/started as required.

TKC (and Dolphin) are different to the others - virtually no CPU requirements at all.

Back
Top Bottom