Who am I? Who are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well, I thought it would be an idea to let everyone a little about ourselves. Actual interesting things. Not using one of those spammy emails where you add your favourite colour and first snog etc.

Anyway, I will start. Please feel free to add your own personal comments, but no stupid one-liners please.

Norber666 - I am James

I'm 28 years old and currently live in Essex, just outside the M25, with my girlfriend of about 8 years, Sharon.

I was born in Leiden in Holland in 1977 and lived there till I was 18, when I upped sticks and relocated myself to UK.

Despite being born in Holland and living there the majority of my life, I am English and have a British passport - although there was I time when I did have dual nationality. I lost the Dutch part as I wanted to avoid National Service (now scrapped).

I went to the British School in the Netherlands and did normal, British Qualifications - O'levels, GCSEs and A'levels. I think I did some Dutch exams and SATs as well for some reason. Oh and a B-Diploma in swimming and a cycling proficiency test :p

School was OK. I think the best thing I took from it was the "internationalness" of it all. I was brought up in a very multi-cultural society right from the start. Essentially the school is an international school, so I've been exposed to all walks of life and think I have certainly benefited from it. I also have numerous places to stay in every continent whenever I travel the world.

My Dad was an engineer (retired) and before I was born, and was based in Germany for a few years. Both my older brother and sister both did their initial schooling there. I have German God Parents.

So after 18 years in Holland, I decided to leave and move to UK. Leaving my folks behind (both my brother and sister had already done the same) I went to the University of Greenwich to study Building Surveying and Project Management.

I was very pleased with myself, moving from Holland to London. despite being the Uni of Greenwich, the campus was in Dartford, Kent. Not quite the same thing. The whole experience was a bit of a let down. I hated the place and majority of people. I stuck at it and moved into London as soon as I could.

I got my first job in the City immediately on graduating and moved to London as soon as I could. I really pushed the boat out and bought a flat in Charlton, right next to Greenwich/Blackheath within 6 months. This was in 1998 and property was relatively cheap at the time, although it certainly didn't feel like it. In 2000 the whole area was redeveloped and improved and property prices in the once crappy area rocketed. I sold up in 2003 and managed to get myself a great deal.

I now live in Essex with Sharon and life is good. We plan to move out further from London again in the near future, until we reach our dream home of a rural cottage in the sticks with some chickens 'n stuff.

Sharon is a primary school teacher and is three years older than me. She's by far the best things that's happened to me. We obviously had our ups and downs, but perhaps these were just tests and the net result being that we both appreciate each other much much more.

I am an extremely obsessive person. I get a bee in my bonnet about something and I have to do it or get it. I tend to jump from hobby to hobby. I have tried nearly all sports in my youth, but wouldn't say any have really interested me other than rugby which I played at County level. I do not watch any sport to most people's disbelief. The only person I can name on the England football team is David Beckham, although I'm not actually sure if he still plays? In fact, I'd go so far as to say I don't actually watch TV.

Currently I am into (although it is fading) nitro remote controlled cars, motocrossing (which I bought on a whim 6 months ago and have used 3 times!), gardening (I love my garden) and board games. All of these I am fairly obsessed with. That is, until something new comes along in a month or two :p

I used to play guitar. It was all I ever wanted to do: play guitar in a famous rock band and get rich! I practised 10 hours a day and did get very good. Then, just like most other things, as soon as I went to Uni, it all went out of the window. I still own about 5 guitars, but seldom play them, other than at BBQs in the summer etc and the odd pub gig with my mate.

Being a Building Surveyor and Project Manager you might be surprised to hear that, much to Sharon's disapproval, I hate DIY with a passion. The bonus of my qualifications and job means I have numerous good contacts and can get things done properly with minimal effort. I will also not get ripped off by any cowboys.

Anyway, I think that's it for now. I should do some work. Or I might just look for a new toy to buy on the net...

Don
Rilot - I am Andy

I am 29 years old and was born in Barnstaple in North Devon in 1975.
I lived the first 19 years of my life in Woolacombe and Ilfracombe on the North Devon coast. It was a great place to grow up with sea and surf every day.
My parents were divorced in 1980 with my Mum in Woolacombe and my Dad in ilfracombe. My Dad still lives in Ilfracombe but my Mum emmigrated to Tenerife in 2001.

I left Devon to go to University in Reading in 1995 where I met my girlfriend Fiona. We both dropped out of university in 1997 and went on to persue our careers. I work as a technical consultant for a company called Kavanagh, working with big iron tech such as hp-ux, Oracle, SAP, blades and enterprise storage. Fiona works are an area manager for Style Mensware.

I still live in Reading, Berkshire with Fiona.
We have a cat called Isis and we live in a 3 bedroom, detached bungalow with a garage.

We are both in to vehicles and currently have a 2004 Mazda RX8, a 2004 Cagiva Xtra-Raptor, a 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa and a 1991 BMW 750i.

DiG

DiG

Associate
DiG - I am Tom

I'm 16 and was born in Southampton. I've lived in the same house in Southampton for all my life bar a year which me and my family spent living in Australia just for the experience of it. That was a fantastic year and if any of you get the chance to go to Australia do its an amazing place. While in Australia I lived in Coogee in Sydney, about 1 min walk from the beach, literally just 2 roads down! :D Great experience though became a little homesick at times, now I want to go live in Australia but I know when I'm there I will have the same want to be in England that I do for Australia now! :o

Part from that nothing about me is very interesting. I'm doing my GCSE's at the moment and then going on to Peter Symonds 6th form to do Computing, Maths, Environmental Science and Economics :o

Soldato
xolotl said:
I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Actually mate you are ...

"In Aztec and Toltec mythology, Xolotl is the god of lightning who guides the dead to the Mictlan. The Aztecs regard him as the twin brother of Quetzalcoatl"

Just for those who where getting confused about Mythologies.

Soldato
Lukechad- I am luke

I am 16 years old and born in burton on trent in 1988.
I have lived here all my life. Its the home of what was bass beer (now coors), marmite and lots of other interesting things.
My parents have just celebrated their 18th wedding anniversary.

I am currently in my first year of a-levels and have a part time job in a supermarket at weekends.

I dont have plans for the future, I really dont know what I want to persue as a career yet, I like to take each day as it comes.

I currently own a Suzuki katana scooter and have a honda CBR in the garage waiting for my 17th which is less than 2 weeks away now.

Slightly OT- Rilot, I have been to Ilfracome and Woolacombe a few times on my hols, and to the karting centre in barnstaple (near somerfields IIRC), I didnt realise you were born so far south.

Soldato
Blackstar - I'm Paula
I'm 16 years old and have live in the same house in Edinburgh all my life, before i was born my family lived in Loanhead just outside Edinburgh.
I live with my mum, dad and two sisters, Jenna who is 20 in December and who works for a call centre and Lorna who is 15 and is mad about sport. My Dad is half english, half Scotish and my mum Irish although she was born in Scotland. They've been married for nearly 30 years.

At the moment i'm doing my highers at Firrhill HS, before that i was at Beeslack Community High School but left at the beginning of 5th year.

Single as of yesterday, but am enjoying being young far to much to bother about settling down just yet, but hopefully in the future.

And thats about everything apart from the obvious, love of piercings and music. I spend most of my time at gigs or doing admin for my friends bands.

Man of Honour
HardHuddy

My name is Paul Hudson and I'm 37 years young and live in Chelmford. My wife is Teresa (31) and we have two children Peter (9) and Leanne (11). Before living in Chelmsford, I lived in Bishops Strortford and Sawbridgeworth (a house just oposite to where the Beckhams live now :) ).

I work as a Analyst/Programmer in the City for A German Investment bank. I've been a programmer since the age of 15 and i'm basically getting a bit feed up with it.. so i'm looking at starting my own business closer to home.. It's a two year project but it's taking shape nicely... just need that redundancy cheque.

Things i'm into mainly into are Weight training first, PC gaming, hardware and Motorbikes. The motor bike has been sitting in the Garage a bit too much recently, just don't seem to find the time to ride it anymore.. poor thing..

My dream is to ride around Europe and America on a Pan European when I'm retired and let other people work for me.. We can all dream :)

Soldato
suicidle_tramp - I am Alex

I was born in middlesex (I think...) and brought up in chelmsford where most of my family live and where I went to school at kings road school and then in melbourne park school, I was suppose to go to high school at someplace (can't remember the name) but I moved to brighton where I went to a catholic school because my brother was there, a year later my parents split, I rarely see my dad. I am currently doing my a levels at BHASVIC and then afterwards go on to do a catering course. I made some good friends in high school although my best friend is set to move to australia this month.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Stag said:
I think you'll find that title belongs to a certain George W. Bush. ;)

Most famously it was used by J. Robert Oppenheimer when the first nuke was tested. Its from the Bhagavad Git which are hindu scriptures.

I am fully aware that xolotl is the axtec god of fire and lightning. Quite a cool title I thought.

Soldato
I thought you might know, It whould be a remarkable coincidence to choose those letters and it actually mean something without knowing. Perhaps i should have thrown you a smiley, here it is....

;)

Associate
nicRob - Rob
Born in Exeter, Devon in 1988 (17 at the moment) and have been living in Exmouth all my life (various (well, 2) houses).
Nearly finished AS levels in biology, physics, computing, and design+technology, with the exams being next week. One more year at school, then off to uni I guess. Not completely sure what I want to study, or even what I want to do in the future, as not doing maths A level is a bit of a handicap for many of the things I'm interested in (computing, engineering etc).
I'm into pc gaming, driving, cycling.....not that many things tbh.

Soldato
Hello, i think i'll offer my input.

i'm Mark, i'm 19 (tomorrow :D), born in Leeds back in '86, lived in chester since '87/'88. Been through school all the way to A Level and i'm currently on a Year In Industry working for an IT company that likes to Invent ;)
Come September i'll be heading off to Sheffield Hallam University for a doss course - Computing :D
When i return home from the office i'd mainly be found playing the BF series online with a few guys off here over @ www.desertwombats.com or at the gym....or if i'm out of the house i'll often have camera in hand - www.marksphotography.co.uk

Soldato
MarkLP - Mark (funnily enough :p)

I was born in Plymouth in 1989 but all my life i have lived in Holsworthy, a small town, population of roughly 2,500, when i wake up i look out to a wonderful view, a viaduct in a valley with woods both sides, paneramic view you could say. I am in Year 10 at school, doing lots of coursework at the moment, but pleased to have done well in my first ICT coursework which hopefully will give me confidence for other courseworks. When i leave school, who knows?... I really dont want to go to uni, as i think in the time that your learning there you could be working, gaining experience and have the chance of being on the same money as if someone had just come out of uni into there prefered job, which doesnt really happen as i have seen. I would like to go into the ICT industry ( as do most people on here ) Although, Mobile phones, electrical jobs would be good.

I love music, anything and everything to do with it, my dad is a professional singer/guitarist and i have been brought up with music all my life, before i was born apparently when my mum and dad were at gigs and my dad was singing i would kick when certain songs were played. I am learning to play the drums, although some people want me to carry in my dads footsteps, i don't think that i will.

I have a Cavilear King Charles called Benji, i could post a picture if you want.

Well that about sums up me, i think i live a pretty cool life, never wanting for anything. :cool:

Thanks for reading,
Mark

Soldato
iBankAllDay - I am Jamie.

I was born in 1983 in a small/medium sized Scottish town, population of 25,000, called Arbroath. When growing up there I had only ever stayed in one 'house', living with my Mum, Dad, 3 sisters and a brother; me being the middle child of 5. I say 'house' as it was actually a (large) flat as part of an old hotel building.

I went to Arbroath High School, leaving in 2001 with some OK grades, but good enough to get me into a good course; Architecture at the University of Dundee. I started this course, soon realising that Architecture was not for me, so after a couple of months I left. I went to work, whilst I considered my options, mostly in contact centres; ending up working for a bank. This is when I moved to Dundee, at this time I met my now ex girlfriend Cat, we spilt up only 2.5 months ago. I'm still living with her though, which is odd, but will change soon as we are both moving out.

Whilst working in the bank I decided that I wanted to go back to University, so I applied and got in to Town and Regional Planning, again at the University of Dundee, still working part time for the bank also. I have now just finished my second year of the 4 year course, got my results yesterday to confirm this :D I plan on working hard and graduating with a good degree, then move in to the world as a planner (perhaps via a Masters also).

My ultimate dream would be to become a property developer, in which my degree may prove to be helpful. As part of this I want to buy back my childhood home and develop and restore it to it's original glory! :)

Lately my hobbies include: Poker, squash, hiking and listening to music.

Last edited:
Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Haly - I am an alco....I mean Jen (come on someone had to do it eventually :p)
I was born in Basingstoke in 1984 but parents moved when I was almost 3 to Swansea so I have no memory of Basingstoke but I do retain the accent I think :(
I only went to school up to the age of 6 due to rather bad bullying (still got a scar on my eye leftover from it) and was home educated up until the age of 16. When I went onto A Levels I went to my local college.
After that I ended up going to my local University, due to family health problems I didn't want to go further afield although I did have the option of Bristol which I do somewhat regret not being able to take up.
Just finished my second year so only one year to go :D After that I plan to move elsewhere but I'm not 100% certain on career ideas, possibly the BBC but things are far from definite.

My Dad is a part time History lecturer at Swansea University although he was diagnosed with Arthritis 2 years ago which has steadily decreased his ability to do much as well as caused a few other health problems.
My Mum is disabled due to a car accident 19 years ago and has severe pain in her neck and right arm at all times, she was however my main teacher during my home education days :)

In the past I've played football and table tennis for local teams.

Probably said more in that post than I've said to most people who know me so I think that'll do fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom