2005 United States Grand Prix

Soldato
Just painting the chicane on might have worked then - the Bridgestone guys fly straight over it, the Michelin guys have to drive round the lines, black flagged if they don't.

Soldato
Don't mean to offend fans but its about time they finished F1 and replaced it with some motorsport that is slightly entertaining. The sport has a champion like no other sport has seen before. To combat this dominace they bring in rule after rule and make the sport even more unwatchable and more recently dangerous.

It's been carp for years hardly surprised this happened.

Soldato
get this...on the ITV site
FIA SUMMONS MICHELIN TEAMS

The FIA has summoned the seven Michelin teams to a hearing of the World Motor Sport Council next Wednesday (June 29).

The meeting is being held “further to events at the 2005 United States Grand Prix”, according to an FIA statement.

It is anticipated that possible penalties for the teams who boycotted the Indianapolis race will be discussed at the hearing.

How can the FIA punish the teams when the team tyre supplier said that the tyres were not safe and they could not be used???? the teams had no choice in the matter..

I don't like the "boycotted" term either. It stinks of the FIA trying to pass the buck!

Soldato
clv101 said:
Just painting the chicane on might have worked then - the Bridgestone guys fly straight over it, the Michelin guys have to drive round the lines, black flagged if they don't.

Have you ever sat in an F1 car...if you had you would know you can hardly see anything painted on the floor at all, so again that wouldnt have worked, as it would have taken the drivers eyes off the road infront to check where the lines were, which in itself is dangerous.

Soldato
ashtray_head said:
the parade lap is not part of the race...they are not allowed to overtake and they have not seen the start lights go out.

Plus its not at racing speeds...

the safety car is part of the race, they are not allowed to overtake and it surely isn't race speeds. however laps are still deducted. all races that i have seen have the safety car at the rear of the pack at the start of each race.

Soldato
clv101 said:

Would a bridgestone guy be able to get round a Michelin guy going round the said painted chicane if there was a minimum of 50mph speed difference??? I dont think so, Do you??

the only SAFE way would have been to install the chicane for all to go round

Soldato
Steeps said:
the safety car is part of the race, they are not allowed to overtake and it surely isn't race speeds. however laps are still deducted. all races that i have seen have the safety car at the rear of the pack at the start of each race.

Yes BUT the race has almost always started ( i mean racing speed) before the safety comes out, apart from the rare occasion when its raining datson cogs :D

Associate
Third Opinion said:
Don't mean to offend fans but its about time they finished F1 and replaced it with some motorsport that is slightly entertaining. The sport has a champion like no other sport has seen before. To combat this dominace they bring in rule after rule and make the sport even more unwatchable and more recently dangerous.

It's been carp for years hardly surprised this happened.

So you don't think this years championship (excluding this past race) has been a breath of fresh air? Whilst I agree the FIA are bunch of muppets, this has been the best season in recent memory. What the hell have you been watching?

Soldato
Michelin's bad for not having the tyre, however, as usual. Seriously ****** up and made so much worse by the FIA. As Blundell said, there was plenty of time to fix this situation and many great suggestions.
The chicane and michelin runners not scoring points would have been great, however, that would provide enjoyment and might be good for the sport so the FIA was quick to sweep that one away.

F1 doesn't deserve a place in America, over there they have real racing not some ridiculous politics driven farce. This is just another reason why Max should resign... AGAIN! This time, close the door and disapear forever please.

Soldato
boo1vc.jpg

Says it all, there are countless photos of the fans reactions and all of them paint a similar picture. Some of them paint funnier pictures with more anger being shown... :D

Associate
Emlyn_Dewar said:
Says it all, there are countless photos of the fans reactions and all of them paint a similar picture. Some of them paint funnier pictures with more anger being shown... :D

There was this one woman sitting just down from me who promptly painted "FU F1" on the side of her face and then walked down out of the stand heh.
Some of the reactions were just amazing really, the majority were disappointed but fairly calm, but there were a few seriously angry hicks who were determined to vent their frustration in some form or another.

Soldato
james86 said:
the majority were disappointed but fairly calm, but there were a few seriously angry hicks who were determined to vent their frustration in some form or another.
TBH if I paid $250 and spent 8 hours in a car travelling to see 6 cars in a totally different league "race" I would be :mad: as well.

The sooner they use one tyre manufacturer the better, none of this crap with tyres running on the edge of safety/reliability to make them a little faster.
Get rid of the grooves and to compensate make them harder which also makes them safer, this coupled with no driver aids will make it much more fun, oversteering cars are fun to watch, much more of a challenge than with traction control.

Soldato
Don't know if its been mentioned previously, but the Champ Car series is at Indy this weekend and the organisers of the Champ Car series have said they will honour USGP tickets. I take that to mean if you bought a ticket for the USGP you can use it to go to the Champ race.

Imagine that happening in F1 - I don't think so.

Don't think I've ever laughed like that just before a GP. Loved Martin Brundles obvious disgust of the situation. Funny that the race did indeed seem over very quickly. Think the few comments made by Paul Stoddart and then by the Jordan team were quite telling the Mr S, isn't really the whiter than white david and goliath he likes to portray.

If nothing else, its kept people talking about a single race for much longer than other recent races with more cars!!!!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I haven't read this thread in total so what I've got to say has probably been said before.

My opinion .... Formula 1 stopped being worth watching some years ago. For a real race watch MotoGP or Superbike. Or saloon car racing, or the Caterham races, or Fiesta racing for pities sake. Just about anything but F1. No doubt F1 fans won't agree, but to my mind, F1 is dire these days. I won't waste my time with it.

Permabanned
Harley said:
I haven't read this thread in total so what I've got to say has probably been said before.

My opinion .... Formula 1 stopped being worth watching some years ago. For a real race watch MotoGP or Superbike. Or saloon car racing, or the Caterham races, or Fiesta racing for pities sake. Just about anything but F1. No doubt F1 fans won't agree, but to my mind, F1 is dire these days. I won't waste my time with it.

I'll agree the previous three or four seasons have been pants, but this season has been quite good actually.

Soldato
I only watch MotoGP and F1, due to personal links to the sports making it more exciting....like if your a supporter of your home town team rather than, born in Scotland - supporter of Arsenal....

MotoGP is very exciting even though Rossi is the supreme machine and our bikes never win [Team Kenny Roberts on Proton bikes], but i wouldnt miss F1 races, unless it is anything like that USA GP again...come on McLarens :D

If i didnt have a connection to either of these teams i probably wouldnt watch F1, but would watch MotoGP still, which says quite a lot for the sports i think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom