No dead pixels yay
Good image quality on the whole

I dislike:
======
Slightly washed out colours
Viewing angles don't seem as good as quoted

Comments?
========

Well, I had an OcUK Value 17" (Digimate) and in all honesty, the only reason I got rid was because of 2 dead sub pixels. Thought I'd go one better with the Sharp but the image quality isn't quite as 'colourful' nor any more sharp (however don't get me wrong, it's very good on the whole) and the viewing angles aint better despite the specs. Design is nicer though! For VFM, the OcUK Value 17" TFT is a great buy, great image quality aslong as you don't mind the units looks.

As a sidenote, both TFT's I've owned (both 16ms panels) have had some minimal ghosting for me in driving games such as NFS2U and LFS.

Would I buy another Sharp? Yes, if it was the same price as the OcUK Value one ;)

Associate
Hyundai L90D+
===========

This bad boy landed with me last night. My first impression? WOW

For reference, my PC Spec that this is attached to:
- ATI Radeon X800 Pro
- 1Gig PC 400 DDR
- 3.2Gig Intel Prescot HT
- Adbit IC7-Max3 Mobo

Good Points
# Excellent design
# No dead/stuck pixels
# Crystal clear display - Id have to say better than my CRT
# DVI Cable not too shabby
# No ghosting on games
# Colours are vibrant and crisp
Bad Points
# Instructions for installing drivers - They suck basically. If your not familiar with the workings of XP, your keeping it as a plug and play monitor.
# Sound cable from PC to monitor and Analogue cable are of poor quality
# DVD Movies seem to be a little grainy and flickery - like watching a Video Tape (Tried with Back To The Future and Alien resurection)

TBH - The main reason i got this monitor was for playing games and to free space up on my desk. It does its job well.

Battlefield Vietnam move fantastically, no ghosting. And i watch films on the TV downstairs.

If your into games or want a class screen to work on, i would recommend it.
For watching films on, get something else.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, let me know

Andy

Soldato
2x Samsung 172X
===========

Just got 2 of these today. One dead pixel in total. Not that noticable tbh. But we`ll see how many more appear over the next few weeks or so.

Spec:
- Hercules 9800pro w/VGA Silencer @411/750.
- 768Mb PC133
- AlthonXP T-Bred 2400+ (2Ghz)
- Abit KT7A-RAID
- Primary TFT running off DVI, secondary on DSUB.

Good Points
# Awsome design
# Thin Bezel
# Excellent picture.
# No ghosting on games
# Colours are vibrant and look amazing.

Bad Points
# Bit of a pain to adjust heights of two of them so they`re the same height.
# One dead pixel. (small bad point imo)

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Right, had my Viewsonic VX912B for a view days now so thought I'd give my comments.

Visually, it's stunning. Looks and feels very very well made, the stand is sturdy and the small silver trim makes it stand out that little bit better.

IF you've got speakers small enough, the centre speaker should fit nearly in the stand, alternatively, it would make a nice holder for pens!

As for the screen itself, I use it for 3 things: Programming, Graphics and gaming.

On the programming side, using it to read text, it's sharp, clear and ClearType REALLY comes into play on this monitor. There's no shimmering, no flicking, each and every serif can be seen on the fonts.

Graphics wise, it's a godsend. No bleeding of colours, each and every stroke I can see perfectly. Even now whilst type this, I can see the black borders of the posts in crystal clarity, not a single bleed or blur into the dark blue, VERY VERY black and looks like it would cut you it's that sharp.

As for gaming. Well... Gobsmacked. Halflife2 has been and gone but I had to try it out and the picture of the G-Man at the beginning was awesome. Battlefield2 and CounterStrike:Source are all crystal perfect, no ghosting, what's white is brilliant white and what's black is like looking at coal whilst 100 miles underground with no lights. Perfect.

Not a single dead pixel, excellent workmanship and an absolute beauty to look at.

I spent about 2 weeks reading up on various 19" TFT's and glad I didn't go with another one. IF, and that's a big IF, there's anything better than this, I'd love to see it to believe it.

Soldato
LG L193ST 19" LCD TV Monitor
………………………………………

- 1280 x 1024 Optimum Resolution
- 500:1 Contrast Ratio
- Viewing Angle 160° horizontal, 160° vertical
- 12ms Response Time
- 400 cd/m2 Brightness
- One Analogue Input
- One DVI-D input
- SVHS
- 21 pin RGB Euro Scart
- CVBS
- HDTV
- 2 x 3W speakers
- 3 Years On-Site Warranty

-----------------------------------------------

• CONNECTION
I am currently using DVI but this monitor also has One Analogue Input.

• PERFROMANCE

Desktop: Browsing the net and typing up documents is perfect with no visual defects.

Games: I’ve played Counter Strike Source, GTR racing and Tiger Woods 2005 and everything runs like silk for me (6600GT)

DVD’s: Although not widescreen (didn’t want widescreen) films are still a joy and look crystal with no visual defects I can see.

TV mode: One of the main reasons I chose this screen was it had a built in TV tuner and Euro 21 pin RGB Scart and with my Freeview PVR box hooked up to it I was blown away by it performance.

Ghosting: NO.

• BAD POINTS:

1 RED stuck pixel centre right of the screen that doesn’t bother me.
Sound is adequate with SRS wow mode incorporated but nothing to loud.
Looking down over the monitor viewing angle appears to be more restrictive
compared to side on ect but who stands above a monitor when in use?

OVERALL: More than happy with my purchase and it’s excelled in all areas for me and I can high recommend this TV/MONITOR to anyone.

Some User Pictures.

• Official Website: http://uk.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.d...lay=L193ST&unit=NOTHING&model=Select+a+model# (slow website warning)

Man of Honour
OP
great little review there Movingtables :) It's a very nice looking monitor too, good combination of features and sounds like excellent performance too.

Associate
anyone got anything to review around the current OcUK 17" TFT's ?

Viewsonic VE710s
Hyundai B70A
Hyundai L72D+
OcUK Value 1715

i'm looking for a tft for the wife in the next 48hrs. at the cheaper end of the market ehnce the ones i mentioned above.

gaming = The Sims / Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 / Sim City 4 type of stuff.

no watching films. just surfing and spending money on ebay! :p

does not need a DVI connection.

spec wise the Viewsonic looks good at 8ms / 300 brightness ? or the cheaper hyundai ?

thanks.

Man of Honour
OP
all will be adequate really. The 8ms models are a little faster for gaming. I would stick with the VS or Hyundai models, and probably go with the Hyundai L72D+ tbh. There's a few people who have bought one and been happy with it. Nice screen at that price. If movies arent shown on the TFT, and you play a bit of gaming, all of these would be fine really, but the faster models would be better :)

Associate
Bought my AG Neovo F17 from a store near me for £135 :D

Really happy with the purchase, the step up from my old 17" CRT goldfish bowl is amazing, feels so much better :) well worth it

I actually have a dead pixel near the top left of my screenbut I can't believe all the fuss I made over it. I hardly even notice it it's so small and it only appers on a black screen and to me this doesn't bother me at all.

I'll right a review for you when I can Baddass

Edit: What's the recommended refresh rate for the neovo or most 17" tft monitors? I have it at 1280x1024 and I when i turn in cs is seems to blur quite badly. Should I try different refresh rates?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
recommended refresh rate is 60hz for all TFT's, but the max they go at is 75hz, so try it on both, see if they look any different. You may find that fast FPS games blur a bit but that's just because of the TFT technology really, and chances are you're just getting used to it after the move from CRT :)

Associate
Oh so when it blurs when I move my mouse quickly then that isn't ghosting? :s

I was playing CS and it blurs quite a bit at 60Hz, but I changed it at different refresh rates and 72Hz seems to be the best. Does it matter what the refresh rate is on a TFT though, is 60Hz easier on your eyes than the likes of the other refresh rates?

Thanks

Man of Honour
OP
ghosting is referring to a blurring of the whole image. When you move, the image leaves a noticable ghost image behind it. Blurring is more that the sharper textures / defined objects etc get blurred with movement. If you find 72 is better then thats fine, TFT's can run at 60 - 75hz fine.

60hz is only recommended by the manuf as the panel itself operates at 60hz vertical frequency. If you select 75hz then you are allowing your gfx card to output more frames per second (might explain why the image looks better to you), but the interface chip is in charge of scaling the frequency down to 60hz anyway. If you had set the refresh at 60hz (with vsync on) then you are capping the frames per second at 60 which might look a little inferior to 75fps. It's a tricky area, but try them all and see which looks best :)

Back
Top Bottom