Antec P180 Owners Thread

Soldato
Well I have most of the case assembled now and temps are a little bit dissapointing, In my previous case this is what I got...

Ocuk tornado case (using 1 80mm fan)...

MSI corecentre:

30c cpu
43c sys

Antec P180..

36c cpu
42c sys

Saying this this is after a bit of gaming and stuff. I have the top and back fans on low.

Still a nice case though, and it should be worth it when I get my A64 freezer, should be even more quiet.

ps

could also be down to my awful cable managment, I'll post some pics, soon. ;)

Associate
How much space is there above and below the PSU? Is there more space above than below? Measurements would be appreciated.

Soldato
Here are my system temps, I have just installed a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 CPU Cooler it was a nightmare to install in this case by the way, the top fan was in the way.

Idle
CPU temp (fluctating between 34c and 30c)
System 37c
HD 1 39
HD 2 47 (Maxtor 250gig are they supposed to run so hot?)
HD 3 38c

VGA Temp 54c

Can anyone tell me if these look good or bad?

Soldato
Your temps don't look bad to me. Not sure about the hard disks, although one of mine runs hotter than the rest for some reason by some margin.. a bit concerned it may fail.

Could you possibly elaborate on the artic freezer 64 issue? Did you have to remove the top fan? Got any photos? I was thinking of getting one myself...

Soldato
Here you go sorry for the size by the way...

Picture013.jpg

Im not sure if it would fit the other way, so air would flow up and out, I might try turning it around, has anyone else got this cooler?

Associate
PeterNem said:
Your temps don't look bad to me. Not sure about the hard disks, although one of mine runs hotter than the rest for some reason by some margin.. a bit concerned it may fail.

Could you possibly elaborate on the artic freezer 64 issue? Did you have to remove the top fan? Got any photos? I was thinking of getting one myself...
I can confirm the Freezer64 fits perfectly in my p180 + DFI.

Soldato
As you can see in the pic, my MSI FIS2R its a tight fit becuase of the fans. Thing is I want to have the fan pointing up at the 120m fan and not the vga card.

By the way is that a DFI n3 or 4? I just bought a dfi lanparty nf3 (socket 754) so hopefully no bother with that.

Associate
I was thinking of getting this case , but , it seems to more trouble than its worth :confused:

PSU cables maybe too short and having to buy adapters

Hours of planning and cable routing / tidying

Cooling tunnel that either doesn't work / fit

Mediocre improvement on case temps ??

Just seems like a lot of time and effort for little reward :confused:

May have a look at the Gigabyte Aurora case ;)

Soldato
Jimbo said:
As you can see in the pic, my MSI FIS2R its a tight fit becuase of the fans. Thing is I want to have the fan pointing up at the 120m fan and not the vga card.

By the way is that a DFI n3 or 4? I just bought a dfi lanparty nf3 (socket 754) so hopefully no bother with that.

If you look at my pictures from a few pages back, you can see my pictures with a DFI UT250

Associate
Well after waiting nearly 3 weeks since mine arrived, I finally got round to transplanting my pc.

TBH it wasn't as bad as I thought. I have an Enermax Noisetaker (450W I think) on a Gigabyte MB and the 12V cable reached by routing it infront of the PCI cards. The 12V connector on this board is to the bottom left of the CPU, but even if it was at the top edge it would still have made it.

Can't believe how quiet it is although I'm changing my stock cooler as it is whiney. Once thats sorted it should be much quieter.

Very easy to install into I thought, although the handbook, as has been stated before, needs revising. Only cut myself once, and even then not sure what it was on - prolly my old case :) .

need to get some cable ties to sort out the bundles and it should be sweet then.

Would it be better to move the top fan and install it on the front fan mount to suck air in?

Soldato
I would say move the bottom fan and put it on the front. Thats my plan anyway, it can then cool my hard drives, becuse I thought they were getting a bit hot in the bottom so I shifted them to the upper cage.

Associate
Since so many people here on the forum just missed the excellent essentials posted by Riven I just wan't to say it again:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE THUMBSCREWS
The case comes with two different thumbscrews. If you use the tall screw for the lower drive bay compartment the side panel will be hard to close and open, and you might damage the hooks! Use the flat one that was mounted there by default!
DON'T MIX THEM UP!

ABOUT NOISE LEVELS
I moved from an Antec Sonata with the accoustipac, and in compared to that case this case is a lot louder. The lower drive bay arrangement isn't all that good, my main system drive has a slight "tick" to it when it is accessing and that creates an echo in the chamber that is very easy to hear since the drive bay is in the front of the case. In other words, this just isn't a very "silent" chassi.

SOUND INTERFERENCE
I have an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard, and with that setup I get a lot of interferrence from my 6800GT graphics card on the motherboard sound unit. It might be just a ground problem, but I think it's because the connector cables from the front panel run too close to the GFX card because of the lower end of the box being "shut". If anyone has any ideas I would be really greatful. I wouldn't mind buying an extra sound card, but most such cards don't seem to come with connectors for the front panel audio. :(

All in all, a nice and well built case, but forget about it being practical to build or silent.

Associate
I've ordered a P180, Seasonic S12-500 PSU and Asus A8N Premium mobo. Does anyone have any experience of this combination and whether or not the PSU cable will run to the motherboard.

Shock33, how did you get on with your Seasonic? which model PSU do you have and which Mobo?

Back
Top Bottom