The PSP Interweb Mini-FAQ

Associate
SiD the Turtle said:
Q. Can I use my wired network?
A. Unless it has a wireless access point, no.

So if i had a wired router, like i do.. if i bought a wireless access point, i could access the PSP's internet? :rolleyes:

Bit of a noob when it comes to networks :p

Soldato
OP
unknown79 said:
So if i had a wired router, like i do.. if i bought a wireless access point, i could access the PSP's internet? :rolleyes:

Bit of a noob when it comes to networks :p

In theory- the wireless access point gives your rired router wireless capabilites. There are two problems, firstly the access point must be compatible with the router (check your manual to see if one of the RJ45 ports has 'uplink' capabilities) and the PSP must be compatible with it, which as you can see from this thread, some aren't. I would suggest if you really want to buy one (using the Interweb from the PSP is, for me, just a novelty) you phone Sony and ask what models are compatible.

Soldato
OP
nickels said:
eeerrr guess its an access point, i have a pci network card im like unknown79, a noob when it comes to networks

Is this network card for a wired network or wireless? If its the former, you need to actually buy a wireless router or access point :p If its the latter, you should have a wireless router or access point already. Do you have something with one or more aerials comming out of the back?

Associate
SiD the Turtle said:
Is this network card for a wired network or wireless? If its the former, you need to actually buy a wireless router or access point :p If its the latter, you should have a wireless router or access point already. Do you have something with one or more aerials comming out of the back?

woops left out the wireless bit :p its a wireless network card..... i have a wired network though :D

Associate
Well tbh my router manual ( i think ) has well gone now :p So i just did a little search for my router and found it. This is my router and read its specs it looks like its got uplink capabilities..

Its the "Mercury KOB SDH5P"

Couldnt just give it a quick check for me could u ;)

Thanks

Soldato
OP
nickels said:
woops left out the wireless bit :p its a wireless network card..... i have a wired network though :D

I don't understand. I wireless network card would be one with an aerial in the back, which connects over the airwaves to a wireless router which also has an aerial. A wired network card would be one that connects by a cable to a wired router. One cannot connect to the other....

Soldato
OP
unknown79 said:
Well tbh my router manual ( i think ) has well gone now :p So i just did a little search for my router and found it. This is my router and read its specs it looks like its got uplink capabilities..

Its the "Mercury KOB SDH5P"

Couldnt just give it a quick check for me could u ;)

Thanks

Hmm complicated. This product is a switch, which controls a network but not access to the Internet. How do you access the Internet?

The manual is here by the way: http://www.mercury-pc.com/downloads_list.php?productid=100

Associate
SiD the Turtle said:
I don't understand. I wireless network card would be one with an aerial in the back, which connects over the airwaves to a wireless router which also has an aerial. A wired network card would be one that connects by a cable to a wired router. One cannot connect to the other....

right i have a wired network to connect to the internet.... then i thought if i got a pci wireless adaptor i could connect through that with my psp.... loads of people said you could

Soldato
OP
BoomAM said:
Its a bit poor on Sonys part that only certain WAPs work with the PSP.
Prehaps they'll release a software update down the line which'll add compatibility.

If I remember my networking lectures properly, its not actually Sony's fault for a change. The wireless 802.11 standard is huge and buggy, and the only reason half of computer can connect to wireless routers is through drivers that plug holes and issues, obviously something the PSP can't do.

Associate
I know its not much help but I have a DG834G & had no problems connecting to it, I using WEP & firmware V1.10.10 on DHCP.

Anyone know if its possible to import bookmarks?

Soldato
OP
nickels said:
right i have a wired network to connect to the internet.... then i thought if i got a pci wireless adaptor i could connect through that with my psp.... loads of people said you could

Wireless networks can exist in what is known as Ad-Hoc mode, where there is no router or other controlling box, and each PC connects to the next, with no PC being in control. This requires complex algorithms and drivers to create the pseudo router. As I understand it (I could be wrong) the PSP does have Ad-Hoc mode, but it is specificially designed to allow PSPs to connect to PSPs, and does not include the nessecerry (sp) drivers to be part of a PC Ad-Hoc network. As far as I am aware, the only solution to your set up would be to buy a wireless access point and add it to the wired network.

Soldato
SiD the Turtle said:
If I remember my networking lectures properly, its not actually Sony's fault for a change. The wireless 802.11 standard is huge and buggy, and the only reason half of computer can connect to wireless routers is through drivers that plug holes and issues, obviously something the PSP can't do.
We'll have to agree to disagree here.
The 802.11 standard, a/b/g are set standards.

Soldato
OP
unknown79 said:
atm directly, but it used to be..

Internet > Modem > (In) PC 1 Network Card 1 > (Out) PC 1 Network Card 2 > Router/Switch > PC 2 / PS2

Holy cow thats a complicated set up :p

If I am reading this correctly, you have an ADSL modem now?

Before you had a modem with an RJ45 port (like a square phone socket) which connected to your PC, which was used as a gateway to the Internet by having a separate 'out' network card to another PC or the PS2.

What equipment do you have now then?

Back
Top Bottom