The PSP Interweb Mini-FAQ

Soldato
nickels said:
right i have a wired network to connect to the internet.... then i thought if i got a pci wireless adaptor i could connect through that with my psp.... loads of people said you could

You needed a wireless access point to add to your wired network, not a wireless network card in your PC. All you have there is two seperate networks.

Associate
unknown79 said:
atm directly

Internet > Modem > (In) PC 1 Network Card

My PC died lol :( And i dont really use my PS2 online anymore, so now its that above, all the equipment is the same an i have a cable modem ;)

But when i get a new PC hopfully end of this month, begining of next, ill be wanting to add another PC to the network and hopfully PSP :rolleyes:

Associate
SiD the Turtle said:
LOL thats a MUCH shorter way of saying what I said :D

:( damn it, i was given the wrong info.... can you point me in the direction of an access point :D then i can see how much that is and work out if its worth it

Soldato
OP
unknown79 said:
My PC died lol :( And i dont really use my PS2 online anymore, so now its that above, all the equipment is the same an i have a cable modem ;)

But when i get a new PC hopfully end of this month, begining of next, ill be wanting to add another PC to the network and hopfully PSP :rolleyes:

A cable modem? As in you connect using a cable provider rather than ADSL? I have no experience in this department but I imagine your best bet would be to buy some kind of cable modem/wireless router.

Associate
SiD the Turtle said:
A cable modem? As in you connect using a cable provider rather than ADSL? I have no experience in this department but I imagine your best bet would be to buy some kind of cable modem/wireless router.

Ok will do :p

Soldato
OP
Soldato
roffles at some of the stuff in here :D if you've already got a wireless network card, might as well pick up a wireless router/modem nickels...

Soldato
Memphis said:
You needed a wireless access point to add to your wired network, not a wireless network card in your PC. All you have there is two seperate networks.

Wrong. If you were to shove a PCI wireless card into your PC you can set it and the PSP up to use an ad-hoc network. Then you'd bridge the wireless and wired connections on the PC (select them both, right click and choose 'bridge connections').

The PSP then connects to the internet through the PC.

Soldato
OP
nickels said:
just so i dont **** it up again, will the Hawking HWL1 802.11b/g WiFi Locator do the job?

No, that seem to simply be a scanner used to find networks. You are looking for something like the Belkin 54Mbps Wireless Access Point (F5D7130UK) (NW-010-BE) for an access point, or for the full shebang something like the Belkin 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem/Router (F5D7630UK) (NW-056-BE) found on the routers page.

Which one in particular you go for is personal preference, I have had no experience with either.

I use a Linksys WAG54G for my needs, though its a little tempremental.

Soldato
nickels said:
just so i dont **** it up again, will the Hawking HWL1 802.11b/g WiFi Locator do the job?

Nope. That just locates wireless networks, it isn't an access point. The Linksys WAP54G would do what you're after, but read my other post - you can do what you want with a PCI wireless card in your PC.

Soldato
OP
burbleflop said:
Wrong. If you were to shove a PCI wireless card into your PC you can set it and the PSP up to use an ad-hoc network. Then you'd bridge the wireless and wired connections on the PC (select them both, right click and choose 'bridge connections').

The PSP then connects to the internet through the PC.

Can you give a source to confirm that? As I have said previously, the Ad-Hoc mode that the PSP supports is only for PSP-to-PSP as far as I'm aware.

Soldato
OP
burbleflop said:
Nope. That just locates wireless networks, it isn't an access point. The Linksys WAP54G would do what you're after, but read my other post - you can do what you want with a PCI wireless card in your PC.

Sorry I believe you are wrong.

Ad hoc mode lets you connect a PSP™ system to other PSP™ systems without having to set up a wireless access point. You can use ad hoc mode to play games with other PSP owners. You can connect up to 16 PSP™ systems for wireless play.

Ad hoc mode is primarily used for connecting one PSP™ system directly to another (or several others) for head-to-head play.

NOTE:To play games using ad hoc mode, the software must be compatible with ad hoc mode. Review the instructions provided with the software for details.

NOTE: An ad hoc mode connection will NOT allow you to connect to the Internet to play online games or update your PSP™ system (Network Update - we'll look at this in a later lesson). To perform a network update, or play online games, you will need to set up the system for an infrastructure mode connection, and connect to a WAP that has Internet access.

Source: http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP.aspx?id=troubleshooting/adhoc.html

Associate
burbleflop said:

i have the linksys wmp54g that work, if so can you tell me how...

Back
Top Bottom