Tired of failure

Associate
After watching the Worthington cup final defeat, I finally lost faith in Sir Alex Ferguson. I, like many fans was pinning hope on the Worthington cup as being the saviour to our season. Now that it has gone, what hope do we have?

I think that Fergie should have stepped down last season, he is looking for that second Champions League trophy. IMO Man Utd won't win anything this season, it hurts me to say that because I am a Man U fan.

I feel that Fergie is far past his best days, his managerial ways are old and stale. Man Utd should appoint a new manager to bring a fresh approach to their game.

I also think that certain players such as Giggs, G. Neville, Blanc and Silvestre should also be shown the door. Silvestre would be much better at centre back, but he has no chance with Rio and Wes ahead of him in the pecking order.

Once the fringe and under-performing players have sold, newer, younger and more ambitious ones can hopefully be purchased. IMO Harry Kewell, Wayne Bridge, Philippe Mexes and a pacey centre forward, like Djbril Cisse would make a squad to be reckoned with.

Soldato
It's a shame that people must have silverware to not be furious at their team. Newcastle haven't won anything for ages but the ethic is right, the players are trying their best week in week out. Man Utd are 2nd in the Premiership to Arsenal who are excellent and ahead of other quality consistent teams, mine included. Is this really something to get angry over?

Associate
OP
Well when you consider that Man Utd have been the dominant force in English football for the past 8 - 10 years or so and the amount of money that has been invested in buying players.....it just doesn't make sense.

Soldato
Originally posted by Disco_Dave
Well when you consider that Man Utd have been the dominant force in English football for the past 8 - 10 years or so and the amount of money that has been invested in buying players.....it just doesn't make sense.
It does though. Man Utd have been dominant, you expect them to stay so? You don't think Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool and Chelsea haven't been spending money and building so they can beat that dominant force? 5 years ago nobody was better than Man Ud, nobody had the infrastructure in place to bring the top quality youth players in, nor the marketing ability. We've probably learned from Man Utd in these respects which is why we can challenge. Everything reaches its peak then falls, it's how long and far you fall before getting back up there that Man Utd's board and managment need to look at, maybe it'd be good to sell players or change staff. Whatever the case it's not Man Utd suddenly turning rubbish; it's other clubs getting better.

Soldato
I don't know exactly how much Arsenal have spent but I'm pretty sure it doesn't come close to what Man United have spent. Also bear in mind how much Anelka was sold for. How much was Henry? £12m or something like that? Pires about £7m? I'm not sure of the exact figures to be honest (obviously! :p) but Arsenal have made better signings than United.

I don't mean better in ability as both squads have the same. I mean better as in better value for money. The players they have signed also have a unity about them, something I haven't noticed in Man United for the past 2 seasons.

Soldato
we will wait till the end of the season m8.

Fergie knows the score. If there is no silverwear in the cabinet come the end of the May for a second season running when he has spent £80million on new players i think he will be forced out by the PLC. Not Kenyon, cos Fergie is too buddy with him but if you saw what happened at the last shareholders meeting you would have seen that their patience is worn thin with Fergie over a whole load of things.

You live and die by your results really, and with the kind of money backing he has had you expect to win something from it. No one will be more dissapointed than Fergie if we end up empty handed but he can definately feel the breath of time ticking on his tenure i reckon.

Soldato
Originally posted by silverpaw
It's a shame that people must have silverware to not be furious at their team. Newcastle haven't won anything for ages but the ethic is right, the players are trying their best week in week out. Man Utd are 2nd in the Premiership to Arsenal who are excellent and ahead of other quality consistent teams, mine included. Is this really something to get angry over?

Very true, remember when liverpool went a season on two without winning anything and how their fans were, i think man utd fans will have to learn to live with it. Arsenal went 3 yrs being 2nd and failure after failure after failure but when u start making radical changes they can come back to haunt you.

If man utd finish with say 82 points iirc that will be their joint 2nd highest premiership points ever in the premier league, they have to understand the competition has got better not them worse. Last yr they had 77 points they have won the league with 78 points but no one complained then coz there was no other team who could get that high.

Soldato
Not another thread!

The only problem as far as i can see is the formation, i'm gonna keep banging on about it until somebody listens and agrees with me:

• Play Giggs on the left for a change
  • Play Solskjaer consitantly upfront with Van Nistelrooy
  • Keep Beckam on the right
  • Dont have the Full backs consitantly moving forwards
  • NO LONG BALLS!

There needs to be another decent assitant manager in my view, cos thats where the problem lies, fergie has no idea about tactics and will refuse to change it because he is too stuborn. When McClaren left it made a huge impact. I still say you cant chuck players out because at the end of the day they are playing well, but the formation DOENST work. :mad:

Permabanned
Whilst i would have understood the clamour for GH's removal if 'pool had lost on sunday,i'm a little surprised that the same is happening to Taggert after Man U losing.
That said,the tactics he opted for to try and beat us were pretty stupid.No width up front and no-one who could tackle or pressure in midfield.

Soldato
Originally posted by Tru
Am I the only one
no, I agree, it's ludicrous. Maybe it's just the supporters who've known no different and don't understand football is about losing aswell as winning. Or 'not winning' in Man Utd's case as they've hardly had a bad season.

Soldato
I'm completely the opposite to some of the United fans on here I feel :p

I am so used to Southampton not winning that I am unsettled by them being able to win more games than usual :D

Man United fans have obviously enjoyed too much success so they have forgotten what it is like to be 2nd best again. I'm sure they will recover though.

GBB

GBB

Associate
I support a club that in 1970 had won more major honours in the 20th century than any other English club. Since then we have won precisely nothing, been relegated twice and spent 10 seasons in the (old)2nd division.

You don't know you're born, welcome to the real world.

And you could always switch to Arsenal until they stop winning, I didn't make the choice to support my team.

Associate
"All good things must come to an end"

Liverpool dominated for many years and Uniteds domination will end and personally I think it has already!

It doesnt make me suport them less. I am in fact looking forward the coming season to not only beat Cemetery into the ground with the prediction league but also the harder fight to win the Premiership and Cups :D

Associate
OP
Originally posted by silverpaw
no, I agree, it's ludicrous. Maybe it's just the supporters who've known no different and don't understand football is about losing aswell as winning. Or 'not winning' in Man Utd's case as they've hardly had a bad season.

Fair point, as a Man Utd fan I'm used to seeing them win. Yes, football is about winning and losing fair enough, but when they get results like drawing against Bolton and then playing Juve off the park.... its just ridiculous. There have been too many below par games this season....for any team who are the same standard as Man Utd.

Soldato
They are second in the second best league in europe (after spain)
They got to a cup final, are still in the Cl, and can still (however unlikely) win the league.
They cant win everything all the time, it just isnt possible, if you let yourself get dragged into this "united are falling apart" rubbish because we have a couple of seasons of not winning anything, you are a poor show.

Soldato
i dont think we are falling apart. Its just some drastic things need to be done to prevent that from happening. The rest of the league is either catching up with us now or in Arsenal's case, overtaken.

That is unacceptable, to any gigantic club who has ambition to be the best.

Associate
i can see why all you man utd fans are so upset

it's been what, a whole season and a half since you last won the premiership? must be awful, good to see you stick with your team through these terrible times though!

Back
Top Bottom