• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

x2 3800 Owners - OC's

Soldato
I'm interested to see how far some of you have gotten with overclocking your x2 3800 chips. I've got mine at 2.5ghz and it seems stable, passes a few hours of prime, SnM, super pi 32M np's. Want to make an Excel sheet of all the clocks people have gotten and what settings :)

Please include all of the details which will fill up the table contents, i'll rank them according to how fast the clocks are!

x2.jpg

Maybe there is some kind of CPU test we can run to compare performance? Super pi? Sisoft Sandra CPU arithmetic bench?

Also interested in temps at idle and load if you can.

Soldato
what temp at load are you getting at that speed? and what voltage?

I am currently starting to OC (bit by bit) - at 2200 at the moment and did a whole night of Prime without any problems. CPU under load was around 55oc.

So far for you...

SpLuFF
Clock 2200
HTT 220
RAM 220
RAM by SPD
ht x4
cooler standard
mb asus a8n prem

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks guys updated spreadsheet, as you can see still some missing info from you two so if you can fill in the blanks would be great :)

Spluff, if you run CPUz it should say revision E4 or E6, E4 = Manchester core like mine, and E6 = Toledo, CPUz always reports the x2 3800's as Toledo cores so you need to look at the revision instead.

My temps are actually really good, it's currently idling at only 31 degrees, but it can idle at anywhere between 30 and 35. Under load with two primes running and the side of my case off temps never got above 41 degrees the other day, with case side on prolly a few degrees up at maybe 45.

Bear in mind the Manchester cores seem to run cooler for some reason, but apparently they don't really clock better as people have had good results from all of them.

I could run just fine at 2.5ghz 1.4Vcore, but trying to boot into Windows at 2.6ghz and with 1.425 VCore was a no-go, just froze on windows loading screen. Have managed to get into windows now at 2.6ghz with 1.5Vcore, will try this at 2.7 :)

Soldato
rev BH-E4 - Manchester

my ram timings are
CAS Latency 3
Row Cycle time 11
Row refresh cycle time 4
RAS to CAS delay 3
RAR to RAS delay 3
Min Ras Active Time 8
Row Precharge time 3
Write recovery time 3
Write to read delay 2
Read to Write delay 5
Write CAS latency 1 CLK

Can i tweak my memory? I have crucial ballistix DDR PC4000

Soldato
OP
Spluff, the memory you have should be capable of running 250FSB at the current timings you are using. When I put 3-3-3-8 on the chart what i'm referring to is :

CAS latency - RAS to CAS - RAS Precharge - RAS cycle time (could be Min RAS active Time on yours?)

I suggest leaving mem timings as they are for now, just make sure it's in dual and running in 1T mode (Think Everest Home Edition can tell you this, but i'm pretty sure it's the Write CAS latency 1 you have there demonstrating 1T).

Updated chart, still a couple of things missing but they're minor, so fill in whenever you want to. Spluff I might suggest you get a new cooler tbh if you want to overclock further, my temps improved a lot after I replaced the stock cooler with an Arctic Freezer 64 PRO and used Arctic Silver 5 instead of the stock Thermal Interface stuff.

Apparently freezer 64 PRO doesn't cool too well above 2.5ghz though, so if you intend to go much higher i'd suggest something like the thermalright XP90/120.

You're doing the right thing, slowly pushing the speed up and checking stability.

Spreadsheet up to date as of now :)

Soldato
ok dood i just overclocked to 2.35........... this is at 1.4 volts.
I just did 1 hour of prime and its fine - the cpu is running at 58oC

I tried 2.4, but unfortunately when running prime my machine hung :(

Do you think a better cooler would help me get faster timings? maybe its not worth the money to get a better cooler.....

Soldato
OP
Way I see it you could either get a new cooler and have a better chance of hitting 2.5ghz which is probably optimum for you (1:1 on the RAM), or you could probably look at tightening the timings on your memory since it's probably underclocked at the moment and just clock it to like 2.3ghz for 24/7 usage if it's stable.

New coolers don't have to be very expensive, the Arctic Freezer 64 PRO can be found for £17 inc VAT on the web, and should cool it quite nicely up to about 2.5 ghz ;) is a ***** to install though!

Permabanned
Mate get a better cooler if you wanna overclock this baby :) and up the volts a bit.

58c is to warm @ 2.35 IMO

look at it this wasy you are getting more performance for free so invest in a decent cooler.

email me about my xp 90 ok im getting a zalmn 9500 so the xp 90 will no longer be needed ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Added Dejay (just realised that I hadn't accounted for ranking according to same mhz results, so am ranking according to whoever has the lowest voltage even if it's the same speed rating :))

Associate
cpu x2 3800 Manchester
cpu volts 1.4
stock cooler
idle 31 full load 57
240 x 10
mem at 240 1T 2.8v 2.5,3,3,8
havent had time to set up better cooling doing it this weekend going to try a Zalman Silent Tower first because my full oad temps i dont like even with stock volts going though it this is folding 24/7 but im sure heat is a problem
i did have this on a DFI ultra but its on an Abit AN8 now

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Added you Pumpman, keep em coming in folks want a good 10-20 in the spreadsheet at least! :)

I can boot in at 2.7ghz but it BSOD's almost straight away even with 1.525 Vcore, otherwise the best I got was 2.65, but to hit that speed I had to underclock my RAM by a good 30mhz, which meant my comp performed about the same as when it was at 2.5. Therefore I didn't see the point of overclocking higher than 2.5, especially as this seems stable and is still a nice cut above stock performance wise :D

Pump, your temps do seem to be getting a little toasty at load, but if it's stable I guess no probs? besides winter is fast coming on the extra heat will prolly be welcome xD

Soldato
ran prime last night and it must have hung at some point....... so ive knocked the volts up to 1.4 now. Going to run prime all day when I am at work, hopefully it will be still working when i get home.

Associate
Its the heating on full blast to keep the missus warm so the ambient is way too high but ive just looked just now with the heating off and its 51 Id still like it cooler so thats what im doing at the weekend It doesnt like heat this cpu as ive had it running at 2.6 folding but then the temp hit 61 and folding would get messed up so im 99.9 percent sure its heat related

edit just noticed my HT is 4 i see I misssed it for the database

Associate
On my Asus A8N Premium-SLI in a Lian-Li V1100plus:

2500MHz (10x250) @ 1.475V
[ADA3800DAA5CD CCBWE0535SPMW 1319559I50052, Manchester core according to CPU-Z, but it's revision JH-E6 which should make it a Toledo. What's the software called that displays the info offline when the numbers are typed in? I don't mean CPU-Z or Everest]
Scythe Shogun with 12cm fan
Stable: Prime95 running on both cores for 4 hours so far, will let it run longer. Seems stable now I've upped the voltage. Was wobbly at 1.4V.
Peak is 55C

HTT 4
Mushkin XP4000 2x1GB @ 2.8V, 1:1 [250MHz], 1T 3-4-3-8

Edit: corrected CPU OPN details and core type. Also had to up core voltage to 1.475 as it froze after 5 hours!

Last edited:
Associate
Ive had my Manchester for a couple of months now, it would do 2.5Ghz on stock volts so I figure its a good one. :D
Got it to 2.7Ghz running F@H (single client on each core) 24/7 so its as stable as it can get.
System specs:
A64 3800+ X2 Manchester Core @ 1.54v, Idle 30c Load 45c
DFI NF4 Ultra D
2x512Mb Geil One @ 6-2-2-2 1T
ATI X300
Tagan 480w
Maxtor 80Gb
Samsung CD/DVD Combo
Cooling Astec Waterchill Antartica single 120mm Rad.
Im running a 180 divider on the ram so its at 245.5Ghz, 3.2v
HT is at 3x.
Sisoft Sandra 2005 shows it to be the fastest processor, with:
ALU 22538 MIPS
FPU/iSSE2 8479/10978 MFLOPS.
This is with F@H still running so the results are probably down a bit.
Guess it would probably beat an FX57 in a lot of games, those that take advantage of two cores.
TOM. :)

Back
Top Bottom