FAQs

Caporegime
As some of you might have noticed, some of the FAQs have become out of date, and don't feature some of the questions which, as their name suggests, are frequently asked.
First target is the "Broadband Availability and ADSL Ordering". The idea is to expand the subject to something closer to "Broadband - cable and ADSL".

So, err, I'm open to suggestions as to what people want to see (since I can guarantee I'll have missed something).
Thus far, as a list of topics, there is:
  • ADSL
    • Availability
    • Stats
      • How to get stats out
      • Attenuation (limits)
      • SNR
      • MaxDSL
      • Distance
    • Speed issues
      • BT Speedtester
    • LLU
      • What is it?
      • Availability
    • DataStream/IPStream
    • Migrations
      • DataStream/LLU -> IPStream
    • ADSL2+
  • Cable
    • Availability
    • MAC address registration
    • Modem web interface access
  • General
    • Hardware
      • ADSL vs. “DSL/cable”/”broadband”

Any of the old sticky that people want kept?
If anyone feels the urge to contribute, they're free to get in touch (email in trust). Appropriate credit will be given, of course.

For the purposes of clarity, can we keep the crap/spam/jibberish minimal please. :)

Ta,
S.

Last edited:
Associate
should the guestimator come under the MAXDSL heading? (provided it is the one that tells you your lines maximum speed)

if not, could that be included?...

A link to the likes of the BT guestimator and samknows?

Will post more as and when things come to mind...

Alex

Caporegime
OP
just_grass said:
should the guestimator come under the MAXDSL heading?

The Guesstimator will die with MaxDSL, so my thinking was that it's best kept separate (or left out altogether). :)

(provided it is the one that tells you your lines maximum speed)

I mean the current system, with databases, guessing, horrible approximations etc.
Not to be confused with RAMBO, which is what will manage the process under MaxDSL (and will get mentioned under that subject).

A link to the likes of the BT guestimator and samknows?

Yeah, they'd definitely go in (Samknows perhaps under distance).

Last edited:
Soldato
Some information on WiMax if its ever happening, supposdly 2006/2007 so people would want to gear up.
I'd also like to see some popular problems with ISPs. For example with Tiscali it clogging up half of the time (but its cheap ;)) And Bulldog with the ports issue and BT claiming unlimited downloads.
Tolien if you want me to I can do WiMax. I'll give you a shout.

Edit: I just clocked on. Is WiMAX even a product :p I read a little about it, something about it coming out soon with a 35Km range?

Caporegime
OP
eXSBass said:
Some information on WiMax if its ever happening, supposdly 2006/2007 so people would want to gear up.

VDSL could go in too, but it's not available yet either. If it's all the same, I'd rather stick to currently (and very short term) available products, ie cable and ADSL (including ADSL2+ :p).
I'm also kinda wary that a lot of what's said now about something like WiMAX will be hype and drivel, and if it's got another 2 years to release, there's plenty of time for an edit (or addition) once some concrete facts emerge (or there's a sensible product for sale).

I'd also like to see some popular problems with ISPs. For example with Tiscali it clogging up half of the time (but its cheap ;)) And Bulldog with the ports issue and BT claiming unlimited downloads.

I'm a bit iffy about that. There's forums for these things (including this one), and issues like that can change really quickly.
For example, the thread this would replace is over 3 years old, in which time the vast majority of the issues affecting users have changed.

Edit: I just clocked on. Is WiMAX even a product :p I read a little about it, something about it coming out soon with a 35Km range?

Think anything that's been said is not a lot more than hype, much the same as 802.11n.
ISTR an ISP that was going to use WiMAX gear, but they disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Obviously, if the majority disagree, then in it'll go, but personally I'm against it (WiMAX/statements about ISPs, that is). :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Under Migrations an explanation of migrating with Datastream -> IPStream (and Tiscali's new plans for migrations) could be of use :)

Caporegime
OP
Phil99 said:
Under Migrations an explanation of migrating with Datastream -> IPStream (and Tiscali's new plans for migrations) could be of use :)

Other than Tiscali being awkward, the impression I got was the process (as far as the EU was concerned) was identical?
Get MAC, give MAC to winning ISP, migrate. Same for LLU (with more downtime, obviously). :o

Commissario
Under cable it's probably worth including some information on accessing the modems status pages (192.168.100.1 iirc), and about the correct sequence to reboot when you change the connected device (modem, pc/router, then pc in that order).

Caporegime
OP
Werewolf said:
Under cable it's probably worth including some information on accessing the modems status pages (192.168.100.1 iirc), and about the correct sequence to reboot when you change the connected device (modem, pc/router, then pc in that order).

Ta. Added to the list (along with DataStream/LLU -> IPStream migrations). :)

Back
Top Bottom