TFT screenburn?

Soldato
Ive just noticed that my not very old Xerox XA7-192i has developed what looks to me like a screen burn.

Sorry about the the quality of the picture. But you can see near the top of the screen that it looks like the firefox buttons have been burnt into the screen. Im sure this has only happened over the last day or so, as I would have noticed it before. Anyone else come across this and know how to fix it? Or is it rma time :(

Soldato
OP
Thats what I thought. If this is hardware related it must surely be a fault, because although I have firefox on for most of the day, I have only had it intalled just over a week. Ive only ever seen one other screen burn before, and that was on an old server monitor that had the same program running for several years.

Associate
This is a bit worrying! Will someone please confirm this can still happen with a new TFT? I've just spent almost £400 on my VP930, would hate for this to happen. :eek:

Associate
Very gentle massage with a soft cloth wrapped round the end of your finger will sometimes do the trick. Try 75 hertz and a different resolution as well to see if this will wake it up. I've also heard that if all the normal methods suggested above don't work, then a gentle flick with the end of you finger does the trick. Good luck anyway, hope it works for you. :)

Soldato
OP
djohn said:
Very gentle massage with a soft cloth wrapped round the end of your finger will sometimes do the trick. Try 75 hertz and a different resolution as well to see if this will wake it up. I've also heard that if all the normal methods suggested above don't work, then a gentle flick with the end of you finger does the trick. Good luck anyway, hope it works for you. :)

:confused: My problem is a screen burn, not a stuck pixel.

Soldato
djohn said:
Very gentle massage with a soft cloth wrapped round the end of your finger will sometimes do the trick. I've also heard that if all the normal methods suggested above don't work, then a gentle flick with the end of you finger does the trick.
That's for dead pixels though isn't it?

Weird thing to happen anyway. You'd have to think if screen burn did happen on TFTs that loads of people would get it, and they don't, which makes we wonder if it's some sort of fault. Did you leave the monitor on for a very long period (days and days) with a static image btw?

I'm guessing you've already tried leaving the screen turned off for a few hours?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
if you are finding that it wont disappear even after some rapidly moving images then it could be a sign that the screen is dying. It's not good at all, and some slight screen burn can happen on TFT's with prolonged use. Not as common, and not because of the same reasons as on a CRT. Contact the manufacturer to see if you can arrange an RMA

Associate
Whoops, sorry, for some reason i forgot what we were talking about and looking at the post just above mine where messiah khan ask for the stuck pixel application from and i replied thinking he also had a stuck pixel. Very sorry guys.

Soldato
OP
Ok, the mystery deepens. Ive just gone into the display properties to see if changing the refresh rate from 60hz to 75hz might help, and now I also have the options of setting the refresh rate to 70hz, 72hz, 85hz, 100hz, 120hz, 140hz, 144hz, 150hz and 170hz. Although it fails on all these new options, I definately did not have these options before. Is this another symptom of the monitor dying?

Man of Honour
mmmn, that's odd. Maybe try uninstalling your graphics card drivers, and reinstalling them as well as reinstalling the monitor driver if it has one. Maybe try the screen on another PC too, sounds an odd one

Soldato
OP
After a bit of googling, ive found this:

"The "burned-in" image should be better described as "retained" image
on the LCD. Some people have known about this and the solution is
to turn off the monitor for a couple of days."

Lets hope its that simple and that it doesn't come back.

Soldato
hi messiah khan, i have the same problem with my Xerox too, it was discussed here previously on the forums (sorry i dont have the link). I had it appear with internet explorer buttons, they were 'burned' in. I found that having a black wallpaper and turning off the mointor did help a bit, but this was last week when i was at uni. I cant actually tell you if leaving it off works as im not going to be back at uni for a few weeks, but having black images i thought helped it a bit for the couple of days i noticed the burn, before i came home for hols. give it a try for now and see how it goes.

Soldato
hi all,

Just checked for the burn and its still there after 2 weeks of no use, what a joke. dont know what the hell to do now :( .

Soldato
Simple. Get it replaced :)

All of those Xerox TFTs can't have that problem, or there would be more people on here complaining of it. In fact this is the first 'TFT screeburn' thread I can remember seeing on here ever.

Back
Top Bottom