News on the N80

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
There is no date for sure...its said 1st quarter of the year...which probably means March/April, but who knows, could be later, could be earlier.

Yes it does look like a very good phone, i will try to upgrade to it from my N70

Heres a comparison pic to the N91 :)

art32.jpg

Caporegime
Yep both of those phones are on my wanted list - was gonna get a N70 this month but didnt want to be tied to a 18month contract with a phone I didnt really want...

A2Z - you dont have any other pics of both of them? Isnt the N91 out in Jan?

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
There was a thread on another forum that I frequent that said that the FCC (a safety body that manufacturers have to submit devices to for approval) had a shipping date for the N80 of the 21st January.

Given that date and the fact it takes the operators a while to test phones, the N80 should be out around the end of February.

Soldato
Looks yummy, can't wait for this to come out! Just hope they aren't stupidly expensive when they 1st come out. Around the N70 price range wouldn't be too bad.

Associate
N91 looks absolutely huge... I can't see it taking off personally. What is it with Nokia making huuuge bricks like the N90 and N91?

But the N80 looks great though. After the Sony Ericsson joystick hassle, I'm not buying a phone with a joystick again... D-pad for me from now on. Although, the top row of the number pad looks like it could be too close to the bottom of the slider bit - I wonder whether that would cause problems.

Soldato
jhmaeng said:
N91 looks absolutely huge... I can't see it taking off personally. What is it with Nokia making huuuge bricks like the N90 and N91?

The N91 does have a 4 gig harddrive in it too, that's where the bulk comes from. It's trying to be a 'proper' mp3 player as well as a phone.

Associate
Brum Man said:
The N91 does have a 4 gig harddrive in it too, that's where the bulk comes from. It's trying to be a 'proper' mp3 player as well as a phone.
I have a feeling that the price of a good cameraphone (such as the K750i) + the price of something like Creative Zen Micro (6GB), is still less than that of just one N91.

If you wanted to compare sizes, I also have a feeling that size of K750i and iPod Nano 4GB together will be less than just the N91 alone, and I don't think the prices will be too different either.

(Not to mention the potential danger of having a moving parts hard disk in a phone which is typically "abused" much more than something like an MP3 player or a digital camera...)

PS. Does anyone else also think that the N90 is a bit of a flop? :o

Associate
Brum Man said:

My N70 stores plenty of mp3 files on its 512MB MMC card and the mp3 player is great quality - no need for such a big hard drive I reckon. Unless you want to carry your entire music collection with you! :p

Soldato
fearby said:
My N70 stores plenty of mp3 files on its 512MB MMC card and the mp3 player is great quality - no need for such a big hard drive I reckon. Unless you want to carry your entire music collection with you! :p

So you'll be fine with an N80 then :) Nokia are just catering to the different needs/wants - Some people will love having a 4GB HDD in a phone, others don't need the space so will prefer the smaller N80 ...

Soldato
jhmaeng said:
I have a feeling that the price of a good cameraphone (such as the K750i) + the price of something like Creative Zen Micro (6GB), is still less than that of just one N91.

If you wanted to compare sizes, I also have a feeling that size of K750i and iPod Nano 4GB together will be less than just the N91 alone, and I don't think the prices will be too different either.

(Not to mention the potential danger of having a moving parts hard disk in a phone which is typically "abused" much more than something like an MP3 player or a digital camera...)

PS. Does anyone else also think that the N90 is a bit of a flop? :o

Oh yeh I can see where you are coming from, I wouldn't go for the N91. But I think a lot of people like having one thing that can do everything, rather than carrying a few things around.

And I see what you are saying fearboy, but like R4z0r says, there is a large market out there for lager storage devices ie. greater than a gig, else there wouldn't be a market for the ipod etc...

Soldato

Nokia did a test. They dropped the N91 a few hundred times and it was still in one piece and working. They dropped an iPod mini under the same conditions and it broke on the 6th drop.

I reckon it'll be expensive, but what do you expect from a 4GB HDD/WiFi/3G/2MP camera phone?

Personally, I'd rather have the N80 though. Quad-band GSM for when I'm travelling and a ridiculously high resolution screen. :cool:

Caporegime
R4z0r said:
So you'll be fine with an N80 then :) Nokia are just catering to the different needs/wants - Some people will love having a 4GB HDD in a phone, others don't need the space so will prefer the smaller N80 ...
Considering you can get 2GB mini SD cards I doubt the lack of a heavy mechanical 4GB HD will detract people from getting the N80 ;)

Personally 2GB is more than plenty for my mobile needs...

N91 - 4GB HDD/WiFi/3G/2MP/176x208 res/164g
N80 - upto 2GB miniSD/WIFI/3G/3MP/352x416 res/134g(8g heavier than N70)/smaller footprint...

I know which one I would want ;)

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom