drive bay mods - recommendations and ideas

Associate
drive bay mods - recommendations and ideas ****UPDATED WITH PICS****

i just built my new box after getting a brand new Gigabyte 3D Aurora for christmas, and in my old case i had loads of 80mm silenx's all on a fan bus. Now i have 3 less fans, and all 120mm silenx's, i have no need for my 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch fan mates which controlled the speed of all the fans.

that leaves me with 3 or 4 spare drive bays of which i need to fill with so high tech, flashy lighted gizmos.

i have a lcd screen in there taking up one of the 5 bays, with a dvd writer going in the next one so that leaves 3 bays to fill.

anyone got any ideas? (i also have 2 3 1/2 inch bays if ppl can think of something to fill them that would be cool)

Last edited:
Permabanned
hell_on_ice said:
i just built my new box after getting a brand new Gigabyte 3D Aurora for christmas, and in my old case i had loads of 80mm silenx's all on a fan bus. Now i have 3 less fans, and all 120mm silenx's, i have no need for my 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch fan mates which controlled the speed of all the fans.

that leaves me with 3 or 4 spare drive bays of which i need to fill with so high tech, flashy lighted gizmos.

i have a lcd screen in there taking up one of the 5 bays, with a dvd writer going in the next one so that leaves 3 bays to fill.

anyone got any ideas? (i also have 2 3 1/2 inch bays if ppl can think of something to fill them that would be cool)

Maybe a little oven. So when your hungry you can cook some cake.

Associate
OP
Hamish said:
you could buy a colour 5" LCD screen that acts as an extra monitor to display stats etc for about £70 - thats 2-3 bays

i already have dual screen tft's, so nowhere to plug it in

Maybe a little oven. So when your hungry you can cook some cake.

lol - i think i can go downstairs for that :p

i have an idea - ill float it out there, see what you think:

i have 3 drive bays - free

im going to mount a sheet of perspex flush with the edge in these 3 bays, with a UV sticker on the back (possibly get it laser etched onto it) of some logo or something.

behind that, there is space for 2 4" UV cathodes, and behind that still, i can mount a grill of some sort so that you cant see all the way into the case.

what you guys reckon?

Associate
OP
thats quite cool, but not exactly what im after, it needs to be fresh and unique i think - plus, im sticking with the bl00 theme :)

i have finalised what im doing

got hold of a friend who has access to a laser cutting machine - and im going to sort out the design for him to cut 1mm into a 3mm sheet of UV blue perspex:

biohazardsized.jpg

that will be the design im putting in the perspex

Soldato
Nice idea hell_on_ice, but not original :D Did this to my case, it works really well, but you'd get better results if the perspex was thicker and cut the design out from both sides, just dont cut all the way through, that dont look so good :rolleyes:

Soldato
Ok, thats just superb.

I do not go for mods like that, but, superb mate one of the best mods ive seen done on this forum.

Just superb.

Soldato
It suits that case really well, dont know how it would fair on another case, but they complement each other nicely.

I can't wait to hear about what your doing next...

Back
Top Bottom