Opinions on Fuji S5600 please

Associate
I'm hopefully going to order my new digital camera in the new year.
At the moment I have an Olympus C5000.

I'm looking at a Fuji S5600. I realise I won't gain any more pixels as they are both, however the 10x optical zoom and Raw mode are selling points for me. However lack of flash hotshoe means I won't have anywhere to put my hotshoe spirit level which I use most of the time when taking landscape photos. (But a wee bit of self adhesive velcro would sort that?)

Another thing I like about the Fuji is that the zoom lens is enclosed, no bits zooming in or out which should make it a bit more rugged.

However not read of anyone who has actually used one so I don't know how good it actually is.

So, any thoughts about this camera? I'd prefer not to spend too much more than the price of the S5600 (currently 220 or so) as I want money spare for accesories.

Thanks in advance
--
Brian

Soldato
Shop around, it's at £200. It's meant to be a fantastic camera!

I really need to get round to buying mine, it's just that I happend to spend some of the money on some new speakers :o

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty certain about the S5600 now. Just got to wait until pay day on the 24th Jan. (Got other things to buy beforehand!)

cheers

--
Brian

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Its pre-decessor the S5500, I had that and loved what it produced - www.meangasoline.co.uk ;)

Heard good things about this one to, the zoom just goes forever on these things!!

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

People are obsessed with getting things as small as possible thats why!

Associate
OP
TomWilko, nice pictures on your site. If they were taken with the S5500, then I think the S5600 is the camera for me!

Will probably be waiting until I get paid end of january (Extra holiday pay time! + payrise!)

Thanks for all the replies.

Associate
james.miller said:
i've not long got back from paris, but i thought id show you a few pictures taken with my s5500. Nothing has been altered, cleaned up or had anything added. These are straight from the camera so the wont be perfect, but they aren half bad either:)

just a few here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.miller700/Paris/

great pictures vey clear , ive just got a S9500, was the camera settings om Auto or Manual ?

Soldato
mostly manual, but i'm still learning so a found quite a few shots actually came out better with auto. Auto is actually very capable on this camera. I'm still trying to master manual settings lol.

i just added these. I'm not quite happy with the final pictures, but its nothing Photoshop cant fix lol

tower_night800x600.jpg

a_church_800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I got some nice pictures of Paris when I was there last summer as well (hint: http://www.freepgs.com/kimmett/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=20 :)).

I took the paris shots with my Fuji S3000, and have now upgraded to the S5500, which is a very good camera, all of the latest shots on my site are taken with it. I would imagine that the 5600 is even better, I especially like the idea of ISO speeds up to 1600! I belive the lens is the same/very similar to the 5500, so it should be a good camera indeed, a little soft at the extreme end of the telephoto, but definately useable.

Kimmett

Associate
OP
Hi Guys.

Just to say that I have now got my S5600, and am now getting into the swing of using it.

I have added a 55mm UV Filter, and I tend to be shooting mostly in RAW mode.

Planning a nice walk / photo session tomorrow, so I should hopefully have more pics soon!

regards

--
Brian

Back
Top Bottom