New Chipset Fan Install problem on 'Asus A8N SLI' mobo

Associate
Hi, I need a little help with the chipset fan I just bought:

I bought the 'Akasa AK-210 Blue LED Chipset Cooler (HS-026-AK) ' from here for my mother board which is an 'Asus A8N SLI'. As the chipset fan that came with the board became very noisy and very slow.

The old fan was fixed by two harpoon type plugs going through mobo, and this fan I bought has an adhesive contact only. I'm having problems keeping it in place, the nforce4 chip seems to be slightly raised in the middle so i'm not getting the full 4cm x 4cm contact.

At present I've got it held in place by electricians tape, I'm not too keen on the idea that that is sticking across the motherboard (along some chip that I dont think is being used which is below the PCI-E card) it's more of a temp solution than a perm fix.

Could anyone suggest any ideas that doesn't involve sending mobo back (to another internet pc shop which I bought in Jan 2005) and ask them to have chipset fan replaced? Ideallly a stronger glue or adhesive I could apply would be my preffered option?

I'm not to keen on the idea of buying a fan such as 'http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod2833.htm'

as not only is that quite expensive, I'm happy with the Akasa fan, its going at 5400rpm and its quiet and the blue glow looks pretty neat (besides the electricians tape blocking out half the light).

thanks in advance

Rich

Associate
This is a know problem with the Chipset fan on the A8N boards. I had to get mine replaced. I contacted Asus who sent me out a replacement fan free of charge. The replacement seems slightly different, so I reckon they've updated it (it does have the pins in to hold it onto the motherboard). It's also quieter.

Asus motherboard support is only by email BUT I contacted their Notebook support dept on 0870 1208340 who took my details and emailed me a form to fill in and email back to them with motherboard serial, address etc.

The replacement took 4-5 days to arrive. Hope that helps.

Associate
The replacement one from Asus had a Thermal Pad pre-applied. This I reckon would have been good enough BUT I scraped it off and put put some AS5 on.

I really don't think it makes much difference with the chipset fan... I reckon I should have left it with the Thermal Pad and used the AS5 on just my CPU.

When I had the Thermal Pad on temps were average 31c. Now with AS5 they are average 33c. hmmmmmmm.

Associate
OP
thanks for the help. I've filled in a form from the Asus site asking for a replacement fan, if I hear nothing from that within a few days I'll ring that number.

Failing that, that AS5/AS ceramique is it just a paste i'd apply to the back of the Akasa AK-210 fan so I could stick it on? (I presume I'd peel off the current adhesive to put that on). If so where could I get this from?

Thanks for the replies everyone, happy xmas :)

Associate
hmmm. I cleaned it well and only applied a rice grained amount and then let the pressure of the fan being clipped in spread the compound evenly... (as per instructions on AS5 site)

Associate
OP
Asus motherboard support is only by email BUT I contacted their Notebook support dept on 0870 1208340 who took my details and emailed me a form to fill in and email back to them with motherboard serial, address etc.

I just tried that number but all I got was some woman who refused to do anything othe than notebook enquiries and said go to asus.com. However I did hear a reply from Asus a few days ago who emailed me an excel parts replacement form. But she gave me an email address that fired back a mailor daemon, so I replied back to her to chase up...and of course she didn't email me back.

I had a look on Asus's forum and there was a related thread made by some guy who had done the same steps as me, and the person who dealt with his enquiries was a Maggie from China, which was also the same person who contacted me. He also got the same problem, he was advised to email someone called Anji and he too got a mailor daemon. So that filled me with hope! Why isn't anything straight forward lol

I don't suppose you still have the email address to who you sent your form to?

thanks.

JDL

JDL

Associate
that zalman passive NB cooler is what a lot of people on this site use. the fact that is passive is a great step for a quiter (espeically than the stock fan) solution as well as it being an efficent cooler! at a fiver its a steal!

Associate
OP
oops didnt realise that wasn't overclockers, sneaky website name! Great I think I'll go for that, it'll be next xmas before Asus get back to me. thanks for the info.

Associate
OP
Yup I will do. I just been reading a forum (5 pages worth) I forget it's link, doh! And the majority of the people who bought it were happy, though some did find the heatsink did make it run a few degree C hotter than a fan. But all in all were very happy with the result. There was about 3 grumpy people who said they needed to have another fan source pointing at it to keep it cooled down though.

I'll keep this topic going with results (for whatever fan/heatsink option I end up going for).

cheers.

Associate
OP
As a benchmark: I'm currently using that akasa fan I bought from here and that has the temperature at around 32-35 (cant check now I'm at work, working hard as you can see). Shame it's stuck on by tape, it's a nifty quiet fan that looks good and runs well.

Soldato
My NB heatsink has been running pretty hot recently atm it's 40C but yesterday it hit over 50C!!! I'm putting it down to no intake and my 7800gtx.

Back
Top Bottom