• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade check plz....

Associate
Hi All and a happy new year to you all.
Im thinking of upgrading my system board + cpu but using everthing else:

Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 ULI board
Opteron UP 144 San Diego 1.8GHz

now i won't be doing big o/clocks but wouldn't mind 2-2.2 on the cpu would it be a worthwhile upgrade? and would the power supply be ok and sound card etc............

Cheers
Ninja :)

Associate
Your PSU should be OK; the mobo does not need a 24pin connector; there is talk on some threads that an ATX2.0 complient PSU is required but I've used a 2 year old 465W and a ATX1.3 425W Enermax with it and it's OK.

Don't think an Opteron @1.8GHz will be any quicker than your [email protected], but the extra technology, cache and dual channel memory will certainly help in multitasking and games.

Now Overclock it and you will certainly see the benefits; thou' I would suggest the 146 rather than the 144 as the higher multi requires less HTT for the same gig and as these boards require some tinkering to set-up this could be an advantage. Read the Help thread for more details.

NB even a 144 clocked to ~2.4gig (270x9) will give you a nice boost.

Hope This Helps

T

Associate
OP
Nice one thanks for that not sure what to do now don't want spend the extra £40 for the 146, my xp cpu is clocked @ 2.25 if i can clock the 144 to 2.2 i will be happy and will hopefully see an improvement over the xp

Cheers
Ninja

Associate
"my xp cpu is clocked @ 2.25"

Eyes are going :D miss read your sig. ;) then the 144 is likely to be quicker @1.8.

You should be able to get 2.4GHz+ easily with that mobo and a 144; probabley more.

Associate
Hey, I am thinking about the exact same upgrade.... see this thread

Im going from a Athlon 3000+ stock to a Opteron 144, so should be a good jump, again I'm same as you and keeping everything else the same. I'm only going for the 144 because its all thats in stock...

Associate
OP
Sorted

UPDATE:
Well its taken ages but i've finally gone 64bit all installed without a hitch and a fresh install of XP, but got an Opteron 146 instead :D
very pleased so far, just got to load games and test

Back
Top Bottom