Which bike next for me?

Soldato
Right then, as you may be aware I passed my bike test a few weeks ago, and true to form I am bored of the 125 and need something more.

I have been checking ebay and biketrader frequently and there are some great bikes to be had. The problem I have is which to have?

Bikes I wont even consider for one reason or another:
*Hornet
*Bandit
*Fazer

Bikes I am looking for:(all models around year 2000)
*CBR600F
*SV650s (Only fully faired)
*R6
*GSX-R 600

Now I know I am being very open but to be honest I would be more than happy with any of the bikes mentioned there.

I am after peoples honest opinions and experiences on any of the bikes mentioned above as I dont want to rush in and get a bike thats well known for being bad in one way or another.
My beloved CBR125 is about to be put up on ebay and I will be very sad to see it leave but we all have to move on and get on bigger and better things.
My budget is roughly £2,500 for the bike itself, insurance upgrade will be extra I know so I have to leave some money set aside for that.
Any help is much appreciated from anyone

Cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
sv650 :D excellent first bike imo. Not too powerfull yet has enough to put a grin on your face, very comfy ride too.

Gixxer 600 over the R6 for me, but only just. The Gixxer is slightly bigger and i find it handles better :)

I think you will find it hard to insure a ZX6 as your first big bike too, its a brute of a bike its a proper racer on the road. Its hard work to get it going, you will constantly fight to keep the front end down, but its by far the best race bike out of the lot. If i was to pick a track 600 it would be the ZX6 but if i was gunna use it on the road it would have to be the R6/Gixxer.

CBR600F - No thanks :D if i ever got one of these all id ever think was, "its not a CBR600RR"

Associate
What about ZXR/VFR/CBR 400's?

As for 600cc Triumph TT600's are very nice bikes, cheaper to insure compared to other 600's as well I believe due to their 'sensible' image.

Soldato
mr jamez said:
What about ZXR/VFR/CBR 400's?

As for 600cc Triumph TT600's are very nice bikes, cheaper to insure compared to other 600's as well I believe due to their 'sensible' image.

Parts etc are very expensive and because they are made in limited numbers they keep their value well, so cheap ones are usually crappers.

What was your quote lukechad?

Beull Lightning and Duke Monster are both very capable first bikes too, should get a very nice Monster within budget.

Soldato
OP
I was quoted almost £1500 TP from e-bike (my current insurers who were the cheapest for my CBR125)

I havent considered any 400's as they are all pretty old these days, no manufacturers have made modern 400's. Also I am after a bike which will last me a good few years to come, a good 600 will last a long long time. I have nothing against a 400 at all. Its also probably because 2 of my mates have 650's. One has an SV, the other has a brand new Bandit S

Soldato
gsxr600 all the way a fantastic bike very fast with sublime handling which is usable as a day to day bike.

Was my first bike after passing my test so not too much of a beast

Might be selling my K1 gsxr600 but not for 2.5k ;)

Soldato
Have you got insurance quotes for the Gix and the R6 too? Would've thought they'd both be sky high too, as, iirc, your being charged insurance for the full power bike, even though you have to restrict it.

I think I'd go for the SV650S. Nice looking bikes, cheap, and a nice engine.

Associate
I bought a 98 GSXR 600 SRAD for just over 2k six months ago. My 1st bike after passing my full test.

I love the styling. Looks so fat and chunky. Not too keen on the styling of the newer gixxers myself. Cant wait for the summer to start again!! :(

Associate
cbr6fsl.jpg

You've probably seen one before but i quite like this one. Its a single seat 2001 FS-1 version that was for sale on another bike forum. Colour is a bit perspective but it gives you an idea. Was a bit above your budget at 3.5k (had a couple of extras with it) back in november, but it gives you an idea of what theyre like. I reckon with some hunting around though you'd find one a bit closer to your bracket :) and the twin seat version looks very cool indeed.

Associate
lukechad said:
I havent considered any 400's as they are all pretty old these days, no manufacturers have made modern 400's. Also I am after a bike which will last me a good few years to come, a good 600 will last a long long time. I have nothing against a 400 at all. Its also probably because 2 of my mates have 650's. One has an SV, the other has a brand new Bandit S

Kawasaki stopped making the ZXR400 a few years ago, they were one of the few to carry on building sports 400's.
The 400's will run rings round the likes of the SV and Bandits on the twisty stuff.
Granted they are getting on in the years, but the honda 400's ie CBR and VFR had gear driven cams, so no worries about cam chains failing and the engines are nigh on bullet proof.

Thundercat as mentioned is not a bad option.

Robb

Soldato
OP
I cant across a thundercat on ebay a few days back and I had actually forgot all about it :)

As for insurance on an R6, I have just been quoted £1150, £1000 for a CBR600F. This is with e-bike, they wont let me have anything more than TP either :( I think I will be given a loan for the insurance by my family and I will just pay them off over time, but its going to be hard to pay a grand and save a grand ready for next years insurance.
I will shop around a bit to see if I can get that quote lower which I am sure I can.

**EDIT** Thundercat insurance is the same as the CBR600. These are all with e-bike. Its looking more and more like I am going to just have to get an SV, I'm not moaning about that at all but I would have preferred an R6 or similar so much more.

Last edited:
Associate
I might be intrested in your bike. I'm 17 and have a full car licence... looking to do the CBT and get a 125... looking at either the RS125 or the CBR125... do you have the link to yours on eBay?

(Sorry for thread hi-jack).

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
I have just run up a quote for an SV650s and that was only £614 which is a more sensible option I think, but I am in love with the R6, but is it worth almost double the insurance premium?

Scarface, here is my auction :)

Back
Top Bottom