Adsense Question

Permabanned
Any webmaster out there use Google's adsense? If so how much do you make from it?

I have just set up a new site (XSreviews - link in sig) and am trying to set it up atm and I was just interested to see how successful it is.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
depends how much traffic you can turn into adsense links clicks.

i've made about $3 since august. GO ME!

(i've taken it down now)

Permabanned
OP
how many hits do you get to your page daily? Would be interesting to see what that hits on the site to clicks on the ads ratio is.

daz

daz

Soldato
Part of the terms and conditions of the programme is that you aren't allowed to reveal what you earn. However, if you manage to cover the cost of your hosting, consider the it a success. :)

Permabanned
OP
Cheers penski...i always love how this forum manages to connect people with questions to sarcastic unhelpful people :).

Soldato
Penski makes me laugh in moderation. :)

Then I realise that he also manages to soil every thread with his blunt and sarcastic comments telling people how stupid they are. :rolleyes:

Funny nonetheless though. :p

Soldato
This question has been asked before: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17511723

Sic said:
depends how much traffic you can turn into adsense links clicks.
That's the only real answer to the question. The CTR depends on how you're implementing the adverts, your traffic and your audience. The money you make depends which advert keywords you're displaying.There are lots of variables involved. You could make less than $10 a month up to 4-figures and more.

Permabanned
OP
I know what you mean royality, my sense of humour is generally sarcastic as well...but it always works better with people you know :).

Associate
Speaking of adsense are any of the so called "I will reveal adsense keywords that gain $xx dollers per click" programs actually any good or are they just a big con (the latter I think as why would you want to earn other people money)

Man of Honour
daz said:
Part of the terms and conditions of the programme is that you aren't allowed to reveal what you earn. However, if you manage to cover the cost of your hosting, consider the it a success. :)
You can reveal the amounts you've been paid by Google :)

Speaking of adsense are any of the so called "I will reveal adsense keywords that gain $xx dollers per click" programs actually any good or are they just a big con (the latter I think as why would you want to earn other people money)
They're a big con, you can find high-paying content by joining forums such as Sitepoint and Webmaster World and see people exclaiming about how much they get per click - but really you have to do lots of work to get original content up and get traffic, so unless you're quick and have some marketing weight (ie, an established site), it's not worth it.

Regarding Adsense placement - don't over-do it. But do blend the ads into the site's colour scheme, that should increase CTR. Don't let ads get in the way of content - let them augment it. The maximum number of ad units per page was 3 last time I checked, and I wouldn't do more than that anyway. One banner ad block at the top of the page, one in a column, and one of the square-ish blocks a paragraph or two into the content - and even that's probably overload.

I'd say that to start making any 'real money' ($10+/day) you need about 2,000 impressions per day and a CTR of around 2%.

It also, of course, depends on the content. I find it kinda ironic that World Wind's commercial competitors often have their (pretty high-paying) ads displayed on worldwindcentral.com - so they're effectively bankrolling us :D

Worldwindcentral.com gets a high CTR probably down to some cheeky positioning...I mean..hey...can't help it if lots of non-native-English speakers visit the help pages from the World Wind program and click on the ads offering help, right? :D

I'm part of www.worldwindcentral.com and we (somehow) pull in about $1k/month (but we're a non profit...dang it), and all we did is throw a few Adsense blocks around. Interestingly, the small purple bars all over the Wiki section make less than 5% of our total revenue - ie, the "link bars" are useless - make room for the full ads.

Edit: Just looked at the site....I'd change the colour of the ad block there to match the page background colour - though sometimes it works better for the ads to stand out, sometimes not. I guess it depends on how stupid your audience is :)

Also, I'd put a link bar (728x15 or so) at the top of the page there, to fill that gap after the menu buttons. It's not obtrusive, and there's nothing there but blank space at the moment - so it'd be Good.

Last edited:
Associate
i use adsense on my site and can generate upto $800 a month. i found that using a skyscraper banner, i got more revenue.

the site has been around since 1996 and has very good positions in all the top search engines. most of the services the site offers we're in top 3 positions worldwide. for the more speciallist stuff, we're number 1. the site is very big and has a large presence on the web for the business we're in. although the google earns abit, most of the revenue of advertising comes in privately where other companies just want to advertise on our site. we probably get an enquiry each day related to advertising.

Soldato
Shiz said:
Cheers penski...i always love how this forum manages to connect people with questions to sarcastic unhelpful people :).
He has an opinion, which Im assuming he thought it he put it bluntly may offend so he tried to add a little humour which obviously hit a raw nerve.

I admire anyone for giving things a shot, but I must agree that there are already a huge number of established, popular, well respected hardware review sites out there already.

The only way you can make money (And by money I mean real money, not pennies) is to offer something different, something the other sites dont offer and unless Im missing something, your site doesnt seem to give that little bit extra.

Back
Top Bottom