Slow MSN File Transfers

Associate
Ok I will try again since my post just vanished

Can someone help me set up my msn messenger for file transfers please... its painfully slow at the moment... I have clicked the help bar but its all double dutch :confused:

Associate
Whats your upload/download speed of your connection? MSN can be painfully slow for reasons that I've yet to discover.

Of course, the speed of the recipients connection also matters as well what they are leeching at the same time. If they're maxing out their connection, your transfer will be very slow.

z

Soldato
If you're behind a router then this can cause problems. Normally MSN Messenger tries to get a direct connection with the other person's computer. If it cannot do this [because of router/firewall] then it will route the connection via MSN's own servers. These servers have a massive speed restriction, so your transfers become, as you say, rather painfully slow.

If you are just behind a router, make sure you have the very latest version of Messenger, as older versions had some issues with NAT routers.

Failing that you could try http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

This website has step-by-step guides for opening ports for different software and routers. There is also a forum should you run into any problems.

Go to that link, scroll down and find your router, click on it then select the software, in your case MSN Messenger and it will sort you out.

If you do not have a router, then perhaps it is a firewall issue. Have a look in your Firewalls security options and see if MSN Messenger is allowed through. If not, let it.

If that doesn't work or you don't have a firewall [naughty naughty] then Lord knows what's up lol.

SiriusB

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help :D
The speed has been downed from 2meg to 512 by BT when I moved because the line couldnt cope... but it was doing it still when I had 2 meg
Yup im behind a D-link router and modem and with firewalls

I will try what has been suggested

cheers :D

Soldato
I could be wrong, although i believe its caused when msn can't connect directly so it has to all go through the main server. The easiest solution i've found is to run a small script so my pc acts as a server and they can connect directly, it's a bit of hassle but speeds are greatly improved :)

Caporegime
ASH1982 said:
Thanks for your help :D
The speed has been downed from 2meg to 512 by BT when I moved because the line couldnt cope... but it was doing it still when I had 2 meg
Yup im behind a D-link router and modem and with firewalls

I will try what has been suggested

cheers :D

If your with bt then your upload speed is 32KBps so no one can download a video from you any faster than that.

Associate
Imho I tried to get this prob sorted many a time but to no avail.

If you are transferring over the local network it is fast (100Mbps) i think. But as soon as you try and transfer data over WAN it seems to slow it down loads (like what has been said about being behind the router).

Opening ports has never worked for me and i'm sure its impossible for the data to transfer as fast as a LAN connection because of your upload speed.

But if someone can get it working i'll be eager to take on that knowledge. :)

Soldato
Evil-Penguin said:
I could be wrong, although i believe its caused when msn can't connect directly so it has to all go through the main server. The easiest solution i've found is to run a small script so my pc acts as a server and they can connect directly, it's a bit of hassle but speeds are greatly improved :)

Thanks for that! this is one thing That I have been looking for, for a LONG time :D
Ive just tried it on my own compyter and connnected to my self, was getting like 7mbps on my 2mb line, obviously im going to get good speeds as its to my self, but I can see this been a lot faster for my friends :D:D

Cheers m8

Back
Top Bottom