How can I connect 2 pcs to the internet?

Soldato
I've had a crappy PC for 3 years now and I decided to built my self a new rig. Main reasons were that it was really slow, bad for games and my dad was using it a LOT. So about a month ago I built my first rig which i bought from OcUK and its awesome. Now lets get to the point. Bassicly i want to have the internet on both pcs 24/7. If they share the net and the "main" pc (the old one) was switched off will I still have the net on the new one? And will this slow down the speed? Also I dont want to pay lot of money on this. I am using NTL boradband (1meg), Im not sure if it is ADSL or Cable so heres a pic that shows what its like:

shema27xn.jpg

Sorry I suck at networking :D

Permabanned
Well you have 2 options that i can think of, cheapest being just using a crossover cable between the pc's which would require the pc with the modem plugged into it to be on all the time, or like i said before buy a router.

Associate
All you need is a router and two ethernet cables (or a wireless router if you want to go wireless). :)

Connect them all up, and you've got a small home network. :o

Soldato
OP
basmic said:
Router method:
Modem > Router (via ethernet cable) > To PC's #1 and #2 (via ethernet cable)

Or, if you opt not to use the Router:
Modem > PC #1 (via USB or ethernet cable) > PC #2 (via ethernet cable)

Thanks, but lets say I chose option 2 and PC #1 was switched off, will I still have the internet on PC #2?

TIA

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I think I'll have to go for option 1# a wireless router because I don't think a 15 meter long enthernet cable exists lol. And they'll be sharing a connection right? Will this "split" the speed like 512kb for PC #1 and 512kb for PC #2?

TIA

Associate
KizZ said:
Thanks, I think I'll have to go for option 1# a wireless router because I don't think a 15 meter long enthernet cable exists lol. And they'll be sharing a connection right? Will this "split" the speed like 512kb for PC #1 and 512kb for PC #2?

TIA

Ethernet cables are good for 100m maybe 110 if your not near lots of electrical kit.

If your talking PCs that don't move, might as well wire it. the routers are cheaper and it's less hassle.
Wireless brings it's own problems and you really should learn a bit about networking wit wires before you go wireless. A lot of people dive into wireless sraight away, which is fine till it goes wrong and they don't have a clue how it works.

The bandwidth splits dynamically depending on demand. You can set QoS on the router to prevent one PC hogging the bandwidth.

Associate
id advise to go wire if possibly mate because is faster for files transfers etc then wireless you can pick up a 15metre lead from you local pc shop for bout 4/5 quid i know at ours a 25mtr one is a fiver, or you can make one yourself but for one lead its a bit ott unless your gona start to put sockets in the wall etc

Associate
derbyjake said:
id advise to go wire if possibly mate because is faster for files transfers etc then wireless you can pick up a 15metre lead from you local pc shop for bout 4/5 quid i know at ours a 25mtr one is a fiver, or you can make one yourself but for one lead its a bit ott unless your gona start to put sockets in the wall etc

Liksys speedbooster and USR turbo get you 125Mbps over wireless, which minus the wifi overheads is about equivalent to wired. :p
I still side with wired but the "wired is faster" argument is somewhat defunkt now.

Associate
If you want all options, I've just bought the Linksys WAG354G wireless router which also has a 4 port switch on it for 'wired' connections (at least it better bloody have as that's what I intend to use on it!). This way if you choose to set up a wireless conneciton in the future you can do. It is also adsl2+ enabled. People on a number of forums recommended this one to me.

The belkin 7633 also has the same capabilities, and was also recommended.

Both of these are about £60 (belkin a bit more) though which in domestic use router terms is medium priced afaik, depends if you want to spend that much.

Back
Top Bottom